Year-End/New-Year Trip to Far-Eastern Nevada

Hi! I am looking to add some hiking to a trip to Vegas. I am looking at the last week of April/first week of May. Thinking Great Basin and Zion. Do I need to worry about it beginning so early in the season? Will most of the trails be open? I will be coming from Michigan. While I have visited Zion before, it was later in the year.
Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

I was in Zion in early January 2010. The Canyon Road was bare, River Walk was icy, the Tunnel route on Hwy 9 from Utah 89 was mostly bare with icy patches which were graveled. So, no problem in April/May in my experience.

If you love the desert area and will be in Las Vegas, Valley of Fire State Park is gorgeous. It was in the 70s/80s there in early November. Take the Lake Mead Scenic Drive for scenery, not I15 which is ugly.

One day before departure (expect to leave home Dec. 26), here's my planned route.

Bend-GBNP_via-Austin_Route.jpg
731 miles from Bend, OR to Baker, NV. Maybe spend the first night at Spencer Hot Springs, east of Austin.

The current forecast for central and eastern Nevada looks mighty fine for several days after Thursday.
smile.gif

Forecast for Austin, Nevada:
Austin-NV_20121225-1.jpg

Forecast for Baker, Nevada (at Great Basin N.P.):
Baker-NV_20121225-1.jpg

Yes, weather forecasts can change, and actual weather can be different than forecast...but I'll have a good time even if every day is no better than the "Thursday" forecast.
smile.gif

If it's snowing significantly I may be less likely to head down remote dirt roads, however...don't want to invite another "incident".
unsure.gif

Looking at the map of my route, I can visualize every part of it from the many times I've taken that route...and yet it's not stale yet. Like an old friend. Sounds corny, but I don't care -- it describes how I feel.
In my mind I'm already there...

Too bad about missing out on your family Xmas with your crud. I'm sure your trip will more than make up for it. I'm still planning on heading out to SE OR at end of Xmas week. Maybe Hart Mtn over the weekend then onto Steens Eastside from Sunday afternoon onwards. There is talk of camping at Willow Hot Springs if weather looks calm as the hot springs issue at Alvord may affect our agenda. Have fun -

Looking at the map of my route, I can visualize every part of it from the many times I've taken that route...and yet it's not stale yet. Like an old friend. Sounds corny, but I don't care -- it's describes how I feel.
In my mind I'm already there...

"Up here, I'm already gone" Kramer, 1996

Safe travels and have a BALL, Mark. Looking forward to your report.

Foy

"Up here, I'm already gone" Kramer, 1996

Safe travels and have a BALL, Mark. Looking forward to your report.
Foy

Have a great time, Mark.

Thanks. :)

Yes, Kramer goes to LA...maybe I got my phrase from him. That's OK -- I've found that most events in life have been covered and generally resolved by "Seinfeld" and/or "The Simpsons"...in my life, anyway.
biggrin.gif

I'd suggest a "Heater Lottery" as in how many times during the night does Mr. BC need to kick up the heater?:

http://www.raws.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAIN.pl?nvNELY

http://www.raws.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAIN.pl?nvNALL

http://www.raws.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAIN.pl?nvNMAT

Travel safe and happy camping. Those of us living vicariously through your posts appreciate all you post.

...Those of us living vicariously through your posts appreciate all you post.

Hey, that's a lotta pressure, man! What if I decided to hole up in the Ely Motel 6, spending the days watching TV? What kinda trip report could I make outta that?
huh.gif

Fortunately, I know that Ted, ski3pin -- and others -- are doing Xmas-New Years-ish trips in interesting places, too, so they'll provide trip reports even if I drop the ball.
wink.gif

Mr. BC, if you need a motel in Ely, we have enjoyed the Bristlecone Motel, don't know if the same nice woman owns it. It has been a few years. If you need a colorful perspective to add to a trip report, please stay at the Nevada Hotel. :rolleyes: Travel safe and have fun! It's four in the morning here and we're checking radar and road conditions and wondering about the "neighborliness" of running the snowblower this early..................

Mark:LOL:

Boy, I'm still figuring how to shovel out my drive way so i can get to the store. Dumped here in Suszieville -like the old times-again last night, and another storm due in Friday. Reno actually got some snow for a change, as did the rest of Nevada-right on Marks trip plan-but he likes like that-even if he has to stay at one of Ski's hotels.! Doesn't look like I'll meet you Mark at those hot springs. I still have a refugee from Eagle Lake and his dog crashed at my place-snowed out and his 4x4 in the shop 'till later this week. Well still have two weeks to get out to eastern Nevada, we'll just have to play it by ear-have fun and I guess we'll have to depend on you and craggyman to fly the flag for a while. Dang sat. ish is acting up got to go clean the snow out -at least we still have power! Have fun out there.

Smoke

Well, as a matter of fact...
I'm delaying my departure by a day because of the current weather and the future weather.
Now, I don't mind snowfall...not much, anyway...and I prefer a somewhat-snow-covered desert/mountains to the mostly-brown I saw on my drought-sticken last-January trip to central Nevada. But with 5 days of "partly cloudy" (which is good) forecast to begin Friday out there, I've decided to shift my timing a bit to maximize synchronization with best weather.
tongue.gif

This mornings forecasts -
Austin:
Austin_20121226-1.JPG

Baker:
Baker_20121226-1.JPG

After all, I don't have a schedule to stick to, not much anyway (dentist appt. on the 9th), so why not optimize if I can?
It's all good.
smile.gif

You got the right attitude Mark-retirement is good for the brain! What's a day when you got years to do it-so why rush. It's all positive now.

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom