Yellow stove flame but no adjustment?

patrickkidd

Hello!

The left burner in my ‘93 Ranger 2 stove burns high with yellow flame, but there is no air ratio adjustment on the gas intake. It also looks like the burner is welded onto the stove casing so I can’t remove it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? The unit was pretty dirty when I recently bought it.

Thanks!

Look for a air inlet on the tube feeding the burner. Could be just a simple collar that slides or rotates around a small opening in that tube to control the air/propane mix. Adjust till the flame is nice and blue with little yellow visible. If no go, with that suggestion, try blowing out the burner orifice with compressed air to remove any debris.

Beach said:
Look for a air inlet on the tube feeding the burner. Could be just a simple collar that slides or rotates around a small opening in that tube to control the air/propane mix. Adjust till the flame is nice and blue with little yellow visible. If no go, with that suggestion, try blowing out the burner orifice with compressed air to remove any debris.
Yeah, there is no air ratio adjustment. The slot where the air comes in has no sleeve by design.

I got it to be slightly better by blowing on it a bunch, but if I can’t fix it more that way I guess I’ll just have to buy a new stove.

Perhaps try closing off a little of the opening with a good tape (the aluminum foil - not mylar -tape actually used on ducting comes to mind) to se eif that changes things in the right direction?

Yeah I tried covering them up to varying degrees with my fingers and it didn't change at all. Odd, but nevertheless...

patrickkidd said:
Here is a video of the flame and hardware.

This is a case of burning too rich, not enough oxygen. See if you can get the burner head off to expose the other end of the tube. Then try cleaning again with a wire or zip tie. There could be an insect nest in there. Blow with compressed air while cleaning. Good luck!

Dean

I had a similar problem and had to completely disassemble The offending valve, clean and reinstalled it worked like new. Not fun but not brain surgery either!

Back
Top Bottom