Yellowstone In The Fall

chnlisle

Post Master
Pam and I are thinking about going to Yellowstone this fall. We've never been there and could use some pointers. We would rather not be there when it is extremely cold and snowy and would like some remote area tips too. I realize that with more than 3 million annual vistors remote is a relative term but let me know your experiences and must see places. Also what are the best caping places.
Thanks Y'all.

The wife and I went through Yellowstone last October 17th. It was cold you need to check the weather before you leave. Had the campground almost to our self's. Make sure your heater is working it was 25 in the morning. We enjoyed the lack of people, parking anywhere. The park is a different place that time of the year. You can see the steam venting everywhere in the cold; even the river had steam coming off it. We enjoyed our stay. The ranger told us the campground we were in would be closed in a week.

Have a great trip

Bill in Stockton
Link to our BLOG trip report

Link to our trip report on WTW

Not Yellowstone but nearby, the Beartooth highway (Red Lodge) and Gravelly Range road (Ennis), both spectacular scenery, Very weather dependent.

The trees will be turning in about a month. That's the time I'd target for a visit. Mid-September to late September should be prime viewing in many areas along the route as well. Our favorite time of the year to get out...sans the drunk hunters.:rolleyes:

BTW, you desert dwellers will be cold no matter when you go. 45F here last night.

Take your pencil, you may need wood for a campfire.

Not Yellowstone but nearby, the Beartooth highway (Red Lodge) and Gravelly Range road (Ennis), both spectacular scenery, Very weather dependent.

I will second the Beartooth. My all time favorite highway. In the same area is Dead Indian Pass/Chief Joseph Highway. They are just outside of the park but much more suited for a Wanderer plus the camping would better....no NPS little camp cities.

Slough Creek campground, which is in the park, is my favorite NPS camp because it is in prime wolf habitat, is the least improved and is close to Cooke City, MT and the Beartooth.

I'll probably be up there around the same time frame. Look for this:

xxx.jpg

Griz will be looking to put on weight for the winter. Rumor has it they like older/slow gentlemen with funny hats. :D
Some pictures of the Beartooth area.

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg
Note the tooth

IMG_0219.jpg

Have you been to Glacier NP yet?
My second favorite highway is Going to the Sun....not all that far from Yellowstone and western Montana is beautiful.

On edit: Yellowstone itself is spectacular and don't miss it but the crowds and campgrounds start to wear on you after awhile. I get up on the Beartooth and I can start to breathe again. Good camping, both dispersed and FS on the southern side before the summit.

Where to stay kind of depends on your interests. If going for the geology, steam, and such, centrally located campgrounds may be best. If going for the wildlife, I second the mention of Slough Creek. Pebble Creek is nice too, but closes september 24. Slough Creek is open through October. It is small, popular, and first come first served. I would spend a night or two at Mammoth hot Springs Campground. It is larger and easier to get into. Plus Mammoth has a lot of elk and the rut will be going on while you are there. Then head over to Slough Creek early (about an hour's drive) to grab a spot when someone else is checking out.

Went to school about 90 miles north of Yellowstone and did many 3 day weekend trips there in the early fall back when I didn't mind waking up to a tent covered in snow. Winter does come sooner there and not unusual to have snow closures in mid to late October so just keep an eye on the weather. Can't beat having the place to yourself - just dress warm!

-Vic

Yellowstone you say? The wife and I are headed that way around mid September. Great minds think alike. Perhaps we'll see each other. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, let me know what dates you'll be there. We can compare notes on the EXPO.

Mr. Chnlisle, Yellowstone is such a place that I don't believe you can go wrong. You are going to fall in love with it and it will draw you back, again and again. Go see it. Listen to where Yellowstone draws you. You are lucky to be able to go away from the summer crowds. Travel safe, have a great time, and please share your journey with us.

Think about hitting Hart Mountain and Sheldon National Wildlife Refuges. Never a crowd and Hart Mt. has hot springs, Sheldon has warm springs. Both are wide open spaces with few if any visitors.

Thanks everyone.
All your input is much appreciated. At the moment i doing a bit of recovering so things are on the back burner for a while.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart!

Still better than the alternative :eek:
Setting here typing with one hand, office procedure on left hand, Dr said no use for 3 days :mad:

Yellowstone you say? The wife and I are headed that way around mid September. Great minds think alike. Perhaps we'll see each other. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, let me know what dates you'll be there. We can compare notes on the EXPO.

I'm headed there as well, around the middle of the month. Hope to stay at FS campgrounds. Will be bringing the 9.5 Lance camper with the amenities :eek: . Might head to Glacier from there but otherwise back South through Moab.

Have you been to Glacier NP yet?
My second favorite highway is Going to the Sun....not all that far from Yellowstone and western Montana is beautiful.

FYI From the Glacier NP website:

This year road construction in September 2012 will make a portion of the Going-to-the-Sun Road inaccessible. The last day to drive to Logan Pass from the west side from West Glacier is September 16. Beginning on September 17th, the section of the Going-to-the-Sun Road between Avalanche and Logan Pass will be inaccessible to vehicles to accommodate accelerated road rehabilitation. There will be vehicle access to Logan Pass from the east side of the park in St. Mary until October 14, weather permitting.

Back
Top Bottom