Yellowstone

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Instead of little voices in our head, we hear howling wolves. So as much as we discussed seeing some new places when we were able to arrange enough time off for a long road trip, we couldn’t resist the urge to go back to Yellowstone. We saw the usual sights as we headed across Nevada.
gallery_176_163_185914.jpg

Sighting - Entering the park at West Yellowstone I recognized well known FWC owner KC driving out. He had no idea who we were but gave a wave to a fellow FWC.

We wanted to add something to this trip besides our usual wildlife viewing. We did the Geyser Kayak Day Trip with Kayak Yellowstone . Our guide, Steve, was knowledgeable and we highly recommend trying this. You get to kayak past and explore some active geothermic locations without the throngs of tourists. Note: you may not want to put your hand in the little waterfalls as they flow from the boiling pots into the lakes. They can be hot, or so I’ve heard. :rolleyes: Fortunately you are kayaking in very cold water and can cool your hand easily.
gallery_176_43_55800.jpg

gallery_176_43_121136.jpg

Later we made our way north but stopped to walk some of the geyser areas. I love the colors and the ability to see the depth and contours formed by the hot water escaping the Earth.
gallery_176_43_235550.jpg

The next day we were true to our usual form with an early morning arrival in Hayden Valley for wildlife viewing. We caught the sunrise and a few wolves but there was not much activity here. A Bald Eagle kept vigilance with us for a while.
gallery_176_43_256833.jpg

gallery_176_163_98449.jpg

If you have never been to Yellowstone, this park vehicle gives you an idea of what to expect.
gallery_176_43_147958.jpg

They aren’t just painted on the cars. You need to pick your picnic spot carefully.
gallery_176_43_131227.jpg

Question – what’s the difference between teenage boys and male Bison when a female walks past? Answer: not much.
gallery_176_43_206941.jpg

Over at Lamar Valley we found the wildlife viewing to be better. A bison carcass kept some grizzlies and wolves within good viewing distance for several days. We joined the other watchers on the side of the road.
gallery_176_43_129910.jpg

We also took time to do the short Trout Lake hike.
gallery_176_43_133810.jpg

When it is time to leave Yellowstone we usually drop down through Grand Teton National Park to take in the sights. Critters are exciting but it is hard to beat the views in Grand Teton.
gallery_176_163_16943.jpg

Finally the long drive home with an overnight on BLM land in Nevada. It sure is convenient to just take a dirt road three miles off the freeway and pop up with an expansive view for the sunset.
gallery_176_163_111453.jpg

Ted, looks like you two had a great trip and adventure! Nice photos and trip report, thanks for sharing! That face on the bison sure looks like someone I know........

You had some great weather. Ours not so great. 27 degrees after a night of HEAVY rain and snow on all the passes two got closed. Full report late November on the road for four weeks in the Hawk.

Bill

Attachments

• traffic yellowstone.jpg
    traffic yellowstone.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 107
Very nice Ted. That really speaks volumes that you went back again so soon. So What's the drive time from Sacto to the park?

Yellowstone is a fascinating place. Last time I was there a huge Griz walked through the CG. People were scampering for their campers!!! At least no one tried to feed him!!!

Is that your kayak or were you able to rent one? Looks like fun for my next trip.

Thanks for sharing!! :cool:

Thanks for the photos. I'm so glad I finally got there this year, it was a life goal. What a cool spot, especially in the shoulder seasons.

Sunman - Sacto to the park is two 10 hour days. We have friends in Boise and usually visit them on the way out or home. It usually includes lots of wine and food. go figure.

Silvertip47 - the kayaks and lunch are included with the trip. They mostly have singles but I requested a double so I could make my wife row us back after lunch. ;) I found out later they call doubles "divorce boats". We managed to stay together, though.

Nice trip, Ted! Love the idea of kayaking a hot spring :oops:

Best photo for me was the shot of your new swanky rig in front of The Grand.
Magnificent mountain, and pretty cool truck too. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom