Yes, I was young once

craig333

Riley's Human
The Memorial day post got me to thinking of the helicopter pilots we had when I worked for CDF. All Vietnam vets and consummate professionals. Unfortunately in those days I didn't own a camera and cell phones had a few more years yet before they came out. The few pics I have were probably done with a 110 disposable. First time I've scanned these. The only pic I have of one of the pilots. Don't remember his name.

The Bieber base had one helicopter, two fire engines, a dozer and some support vehicles.

Starting a controlled burn.

Some of my coworkers at the bar in Lookout, CA. I need to try and clean this one up.

As to the topic of this post. My one and only time I won the Largest (fresh) Fish trophy. No longer comes with the bottle of Jack Daniels, a matter of some controversy to this day.

Oh so young.Memories are great,especially
when we have photos to back them up.

I have a reel of 8mm film of take offs/landings from my USS Ranger days.
Mid 60s. I do have some stills on slides and some photos.
I look at them about once in a blue moon.

Thanks.
Frank

Yep, I know how that feels frank . I was talking to the guy I joined the Army with about what just seemed was just a few years ago about basic training at old Fort Ord and we discovered we are actually getting old. It seems that what seemed Just a few years ago was no matter how many times we subtracted the dates was actually 56 years ago! That doesn't seem so bad until I add on our age at the time of 19----maybe I am getting to be an old geezer after all :LOL:! By the way Craig,I was working up in the the Bieber with the BLM at around that time (doing field inventories)-wouldn't be surprised if I saw that same chopper! What was the name of that hamburger joint in Bieber,---or was it New Bieber! Any way, as they say in that old sit-com, those were the days!

Smoke

I cannot remember the name of that place. Not much stayed open after the mill closed.

Craig, great old pics reminding us of the always evolving technology. Great subject matter and story, thanks for sharing!

Image but will post a better one..
lookoutbar (2)-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom