Yes Virginia This is AZ Too!!! Who knew?

chnlisle

Post Master
We took a little trip up to the White Mts. about 190 mile north of Tucson. Wow what a place. An absolutely gorgeous alpine area with snow still on the higher peaks. Day time temps at Big Lake were in the high 70's at about 9100 feet.

Here are a few pix of the camp site and the lake with the higher mts in the background. I've attached the obligatory FWC shots as well.

Attachments

• Copy of June Camping Trip 013.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 013.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 349
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 016.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 016.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 029.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 029.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 340
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 019.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 019.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 020.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 020.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 352
More At Big Lake

Here's one of the snow up high and a local resident at the boat house.

Pam spotted a terrorist in camp.

Attachments

• Copy of June Camping Trip 026.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 026.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 345
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 027.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 027.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 326
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 006.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 006.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 348
The East Fork Trout Killer

Saturday we took a 12 mile side trip down (7000') to the east fork of the Black River. There are some fantastic campsites here and it will be our next trip. The place we like best was Buffalo Crossing but Diamond Rock and Horse Springs were really nice as well.

Kyle you will love it. No paved roads!!!

Attachments

• Copy of June Camping Trip 033.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 033.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 034.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 034.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 356
The Other Grand Canyon

On The way back towards Globe we stopped to eat our lunch at a view point of the Salt River Canyon on the 77.

This state is full of surprises. There are float trips down the Salt River from here. Hmmmm I see water in our future.

Attachments

• Copy of June Camping Trip 035.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 035.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 349
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 036.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 036.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 343
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 039.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 039.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 339
  • Copy of June Camping Trip 042.jpg
    Copy of June Camping Trip 042.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 339
Yes..thanks for documenting this one, chnlisle. Your mention of the East Fork of the Black shook loose some deeply hidden cobwebs and had me flashin' back to a week-long camping trip I did there in '71 with my dad/brother and some long-time family friends. Yup..the days of 8-track stereo and no therm-a-rest pads! (the *dads* were wishing we kids wouldn't have brought along the Black Sabbath tapes by the end of the trip!)

Little did we know that boy bands and hip-hop would be our Karmaic payback years later! yikes!

Anywayz....the drive south on 191 from Springerville to Morenci/Safford is one that should *not* be missed if you are in this general area. Campsites abound and every turn is a vista that will take your breath away.

And if you've driven that road you KNOW how many turns there are!

AZ musta soaked up that big snowpack this season like a sponge! I'm amazed at how high the snowline seems to be.

thanks again for the cranial jog!

Jay,

Nice pics. A friend of mine grew up in that area and has been telling me about what a great area the White Mtns. are. Your pics confirmed that and now it is on my list of places to go. Thanks.

Marc

That's an epic-looking zone.
And it doesn't look like cheek-to-jowl camping.
Count me in.

Looks like a good time Jay... errr Osama...

I was up there a few years ago on a backpacking trip near Hannigan Meadow. We hiked down to the black and camped in the area for 3 or 4 days.... beautiful area.

Alice and I are currently working our way back through Southern Utah/Northern AZ. We are in Monument Valley now and heading to Ganado/Window Rock tomorrow and Show Low on Saturday. We are looking forward to our return trip through the Salt River Canyon. For anyone that has not been there, the pics that Jay posted simply do not do it justice. It is a breathtakingly beautiful area.

I'll post some pics from our trip when we return.

Kyle

Back
Top Bottom