Yet another air bag question

CreekRob

Advanced Member
Since payload capacities of trucks have been increasing over the years, I couldn't accurately find out about whether a real-life Hawk slide in on my truck might benefit from air bags.

The Hawk in 2023 weighs in at 1100 dry, probably say 1500 wet with my options (nothing particularly heavy, and with a bit of a fudge factor).

My truck's payload (Ram 2500) is 3100.

At the present time I don't anticipate carrying as much weight as I did on my previous vehicle, in part because there's no room for that gear :) (one of the points). But OTOH I may very occasionally take a couple people with me, with all their gear, so I could add another 750 for say a raft trip pretty easily.

That's still well within payload specs, but it seems to me it might still be prudent to add airbags. My question is whether I lose anything by doing so, other than the need to monitor them?

Thanks.

My suspension is also capable of handling my 2023 Hawk. The air bags have been great for allowing me to level the truck (driver side is heavier). Also when camping on uneven terrain, I can adjust the level of the rig a bit more when I run out of rocks and blocks. The bags also help significantly with side roll while driving. The only down side would be the loss of suspension travel as the bags limit how far the axle can drop down. This was easily over come by installing Daystar cradles that allow the bags to separate from the lower mount.

If you do decide to go with bags, make sure that the air is ran to each one independently.

This information is based on my Chevy 1/2 ton so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure other 3/4 ton owners will chime in.

Enjoy your rig!

Thanks Cpt Davenport. Seems the way to go. Coincidentally, a friend called today about the ability of a tow...I don't regularly do that, but it does happen, and nice to have the ability to level it if I go really heavy.

CreekRob said:
Thanks Cpt Davenport. Seems the way to go. Coincidentally, a friend called today about the ability of a tow...I don't regularly do that, but it does happen, and nice to have the ability to level it if I go really heavy.
That is the beauty of air bags. You can adjust them to what ever your load demands. I confidently tow my boat into some compromising places with my set up.

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 72
Yeah, I suppose the only downside is forgetting them and letting the minimum pressure go too low, but even then it's not like that's catastrophic to anything but maybe the bag itself. And the cost. Thanks for the help.

Glad you got a reasonable truck to carry the weight. I would run airbags and the Daystar (?) cradles. Or a long travel airbag. Since you are only slightly augmenting the payload you don't need a crazy multi bellows bag. I have a 3500 Ram on a Carli "leveling" kit, factory rear springs...my truck sits @1in nose high...for reference.

2005 Tundra Access Cab/ loaded 2016 Hawk...Just what I did and do....your call.

Hellwig antisway bar in rear....big difference in lessening vehicle roll

Firestone Airbags....allows leveling of Tundra and supporting "extra" weight

FYI....I measure to the inside top of wheel wells and adjust air bags to make all four corners the same...nominally 31"

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/product-list/sway-bars/

https://www.riderite.com/automotive/aftermarket/aftermarket-air-helper-spring-kits/ride-rite-kit/

Note: Removed rear seats and tailgate...2 Zamp solar panels on Yakima roof rails; 170w and 180w, no further attached weight.

Overkill IMHO. Do get the Thuren rear track bar re-lo kit though…

FWIW I’ve got a tad over 50k on my AirLifts in Daystars on my Power Wagon with a Hawk plus sliders, bumpers… One side just developed a slow leak, thought for sure the bag had worn through where it comes in contact with the saddle. Nope, just a leaking 1/4” swivel connection.

Airbags compress and rebound differently from steel springs too, so things feel different sometimes. Leveling for/aft is a plus at the end of the day especially in places that I camp. Pros and cons.

Oilbrnr said:
Overkill IMHO. Do get the Thuren rear track bar re-lo kit though…

FWIW I’ve got a tad over 50k on my AirLifts in Daystars on my Power Wagon with a Hawk plus sliders, bumpers… One side just developed a slow leak, thought for sure the bag had worn through where it comes in contact with the saddle. Nope, just a leaking 1/4” swivel connection.

Airbags compress and rebound differently from steel springs too, so things feel different sometimes. Leveling for/aft is a plus at the end of the day especially in places that I camp. Pros and cons.
I am prepping for my 2018 Hawk I am curious I have a PW 22 with airbags how much PSI are you running?

OP: Your message implies that you don’t actually have the camper yet. That camper loaded is around 50% of your truck’s payload. It theoretically should be leveled nicely and drive just fine with that load with no modifications. Remember that if you add people in the cab much of that added weight is on the front axle. I would suggest waiting until you’ve driven the unmodified truck with camper for a bit and then decide if you need suspension improvements. You might find it’s good the way it is.

We went with airbags, and they work great. Makes a huge difference. However...do not allow them to go empty. Keep 5 psi minimum in them. As mentioned, the bags themselves can be damaged if you dont. But, even worse, as we learned, other damage can occur. The shrader valves were not tight, and while we were out in south Utah bouncing around on the backroads for a month, the system seeped air out. We bottomed out several times, and when we got home, from not having enough air in the bags when we bottomed out, the airbag mount had actually puckered in the frame on our F150. Now while that is a testament to the rediculous quality of the current Ford "frame" of square tubed steel, try to find someone to repair that. We eventually gave up frustrated after trying to find a shop that would tackle it, and reinforced the mounting area on the frame with angle iron from the side and bottom, reinstalled the bags, and installed an onboard compressor system that maintains the pressure. The nice part is you can adjust the pressure from the cab as you drive to suit the driving and road conditions. A great improvement, works great, and for us is necessary.
So...after this learning curve, I still say, do the airbags. Just make sure you have adequate pressure at all times!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom