Yet another fuel can mount

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
As we explore farther and farther into Nevada / Death Valley and points beyond, I want the security of having another 5 gallons of gas in reserve. Unfortunately my Tundra only gets 12MPG with camper on board (even less in 4WD) :( The stock tank only holds 22 gal., so my range is only about 250 miles, but who wants to push it?

Here in California we all know the CARB rules have made many of the cans unavailable. We rejected the idea of roof mounted tank storage, even though other posters have had success with it. The idea of gasoline over our heads, especially when running the furnace is just too scary.

What I came up with is through bolting a race jug holder onto the back wall. I was able to go through the FWC framing and about four layers of plywood where the bench seat is mounted in the Hawk model. It's very sturdy. I could probably stand in it. The aluminum holder seems to be aircraft grade and is made by Pit Posse (sort of a lame name I think). I drilled holes to drain rainwater out the corners. It's exactly 12" wide which fits the Hawk perfectly.

gallery_2472_253_89064.jpg

My square jug fits well and has room for several chunks of 1 1/4" ply I travel with for leveling. If we are on a trip w/o extra gas, it can be a catchall for trash, shoes, dog food, etc. Likewise I can put a water jug in same storage bin.

gallery_2472_253_25219.jpg

In addition to the four 3/8" bolts I riveted a length of 1/8" x 2" aluminum to the holder and replaced the plastic handle at the door. It always felt just a bit sketchy when walking out the door without much to grab for. Now I have a handle that increases safety coming and going and it also supports the gas can holder too. I may wrap the handle with the friction tape they use for bicycle handles to add some traction.

All screw holes and bolts were dipped in Silapreme sealant just as they were placed in position, so there's a nice squeeze out of sealant. No Leaks! (knock on wood).

Downside I see: I need to be aware of an extra foot of extension off the back of the truck. It's high enough I don't anyone could hit it with their bumper, but it is somewhat vulnerable. I may add a reflector to it. Also, this is a permanent install, so I've modified the looks a bit.

gallery_2472_253_22396.jpg

Cost: The race jug holder came from Amazon for $40 + ship. It seems to be high quality aluminum and is welded at the corners. I had most of the other mscl hardware in my shop.

I LOVE it.

too bad my door opens the other way. :(

I do too, very nice job Lighthawk!

I'm with BSS. My door also opens the opposite way and the other side has the exhaust from the furnace.

There is a lot of cool 'desert racing' stuff out there. They tend to make everything out of aluminum which is right up our alley.

Just get a flat billed hat and some vans and you'll fit right in!

I like it, and nice job on the handle.

Pit Posse has a few items that could be of good use on a camper, including a couple of folding aluminum work shelves. But I would definitely have to scratch off the name.

Back
Top Bottom