Yet Another Los Padres Overnighter

SunMan

King Taco
I'm getting ready to take the camper off for the first time :eek: and got antsy so I figured we'd best log another quick trip since it may be awhile before the next one.

I called the Forest Service in Ojai and got access to a gated OHV road I'd been wanting to explore. Only one other vehicle had requested the combination to the gate so it was looking good for us being alone. The road (Potrero Seco) is on the Santa Barbara side of HWY33 where the Zaca fire burned last year and it was quite evident. I was hoping for some nice (read unburned) areas to camp but there weren't many.

On the plus side, it was a beautiful day with incredible vistas of the Channel Islands in the distance. On the minus side, after taking the road for the entire 15 miles we decided the area just wasn't gonna cut it so we decided to leave and try another spot with some shade. We opted for an area known as Apache Canyon in the Cuyama Valley. When we got there there was one other vehicle in th campground so we hit the sandy arroyo and found our own secluded spot. Here are some pics from both areas:

Attachments

• road.jpg
    road.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 371
  • 3sisters.jpg
    3sisters.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 371
  • 3sis2.jpg
    3sis2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 397
  • climb.jpg
    climb.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 377
  • pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 387
Thanks Jay. Think I'm starting to run out of places I haven't been to around here. Hope to start seeing some more trip reports from your neck 'o the woods!

Cool report Sunman.
You Ventura area guys are perfectly situated for jabs into some bitchen' places.
And with that Sespe moonscape, your Tundra looks like the lunar rover.
Keep 'em coming.

Travelling through burned areas is always kinda spooky. The terrain takes on a whole different vibe.

But getting out, even where spooky, still beats staying at home. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom