Yosemite - January 2017

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
The MLK holiday weekend weather forecast called for a short clear period between storms. The Teds asked if we'd join them for a trip to Yosemite National Park. You bet we said yes. Our trip story is up on our blog and can be found here -

Yosemite - January 2017

Please enjoy the tag along view. :)

Yosemite is such a special place. I scored a camping spot in the valley first week in April mid week. Water should be fantastic this year.

I use micro spikes up here for hiking on snow (and mud). Great tool for a little piece of mind.

Spent a lot of time in the valley in the late seventies as a dirtbag climber in camp 4. Good times!.

Now winter is the only time of year to escape the crowds.

Revisited the report.Yosemite is a very magical spot,and yes the crowds can get too much.
We have been there in the winter a couple times.Actually the first winter trip was the first MLK day
in 1988. We enjoyed the Glacier Pt trail on our 3 pins,but the snow was older and had a lot of tree junk on it.
Thanks for giving us a "revisit"
Frank

I enjoyed your report and photos. Fond memories of a back country hiking trip with my son there back in 2006- my first and only visit so far. Will be back there this coming summer as our son is getting married nearby. It is a truly a special place, even with crowds. Thanks for your write-up.

Where to begin?
Timing is everything, and then companions to share it with?
The multitude of images were stupendous.
Love the mist rising on Cook's Meadow. Also early snowcapped views of Half Dome and El Cap from Tunnel View.
Superb!

Thank you everyone for the nice comments! :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Such a beautiful place! Thank you!
It is calling to you Mr. Sage!

billharr said:
Yosemite is such a special place. I scored a camping spot in the valley first week in April mid week. Water should be fantastic this year.
Bill, have a great time! As you know, there's a shuttle bus system around the Valley that's convenient so you can leave camp set up. It the winter time it also runs up to Badger Pass.

PaulT said:
I've seen YNP only in late spring. Need to see it in winter. Thanks for sharing your visit.

Paul
Fall and Summer too! :)

Edgewood said:
I use micro spikes up here for hiking on snow (and mud). Great tool for a little piece of mind.

Spent a lot of time in the valley in the late seventies as a dirtbag climber in camp 4. Good times!.

Now winter is the only time of year to escape the crowds.
microspikes, an essential piece of equipment for following the snowblower up our road! :) Ah, the stories Camp 4 can and does tell! You ever make a winter trip up to Merced Lake? :)

N'kwala said:
Great report, fine photos. Thanks.
Thanks Liz!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Revisited the report.Yosemite is a very magical spot,and yes the crowds can get too much.
We have been there in the winter a couple times.Actually the first winter trip was the first MLK day
in 1988. We enjoyed the Glacier Pt trail on our 3 pins,but the snow was older and had a lot of tree junk on it.
Thanks for giving us a "revisit"
Frank
You are welcome Frank. Thanks for enjoying our stories!

Lighthawk said:
Where to begin?
Timing is everything, and then companions to share it with?
The multitude of images were stupendous.
Love the mist rising on Cook's Meadow. Also early snowcapped views of Half Dome and El Cap from Tunnel View.
Superb!
Lighthawk, thanks so much for the kind comments. With your work as a photographer, this means a great deal to me so thanks for your kind thoughtfulness in commenting! :)

Ski,

What a great trip. This is now #1 on my bucket list, so hopefully a trip will happen during the next couple of years. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. jd

super doody said:
Great as usual. Did Ted cook up any epic meals during the trip?
Thanks! It was cold and damp with short days. That limited our friend Ted's usual feistiness. We saw a couple glasses of fine red wine but did not see a Pliny. We'll have to see what Spring and Summer bring. :)

I actually did have a Pliny while you two were skiing. Alas, my cooking was definitely lacking on this trip. There was a turkey breast, veggies, and potatoes on the fire one night, otherwise nothing worth mentioning.

With the drought it was so common to have fire restrictions we dumped our charcoal BBQ. I still have a learning curve going with the gas replacement. I've been working on a new (to me) method of cooking - sous vide. Hopefully will have one of these mastered well enough to make it into a Ski3pin TR soon.

Back
Top Bottom