Yosemite trademarked

Like so many other iconic places where corporate money has changed the name the real name will still be used.

Sears Point is not Sonoma Raceway or Infineon

Laguna Seca is not Mazda Raceway.

The Ahwahnee will always be the Ahwahnee.

Since Ahwahnee is a Native american word meaning deep grassy valley, I am waiting for the native americans to step up to the plate and fight about it. I actually admire the park service for pre-emptively changing the names instead of waiting for the court battle. Kind of takes the wind out of Delaware North's sails if no one wants to fight back. I am planning on researching DN other holdings and making sure that I don't support them in any way because this is extortion. Man the list is extensive:http://www.delawarenorth.com/venues

There is a grass roots petition at: petitions.moveon.org/sign/delaware-north-release

Yep,"big business" at it's best.
I also heard a rumor that the name"Yosemite"it self had been copyrighted by the company.
How this is allowed,is a sorry state for our public lands.
Frank

DRILL,BABY,DRILL

Bseek said:
I am planning on researching DN other holdings and making sure that I don't support them in any way because this is extortion. Man the list is extensive:http://www.delawarenorth.com/venues

There is a grass roots petition at: petitions.moveon.org/sign/delaware-north-release
I agree. According to their website these are some the facilities they run:

Arizona:
Grand Canyon (No additional info)

California:
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, California
Yosemite, California - Tenaya Lodge

Florida:
Cape Canaveral, Florida - Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex

Idaho
Boise Airport (No additional details)

Montana:
Whitefish, Montana (Glacier NP) - Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge
Whitefish, Montana (Glacier NP) - Pine Lodge
West Yellowstone, Montana - Yellowstone General Stores
Bozeman, Montana - Park Gate Lodges at Yellowstone

New York:
Niagara Falls, New York - Niagara Falls State Park

North Carolina:
Charlotte, North Carolina - Bank of America Stadium

Ohio:
Geneva, Ohio - The lodge at Geneva-On-The-Lake

Virginia:
Luray, Virginia - Shenandoah National Park
Bedford, Virginia - Peaks of Otter Lodge

Washington:
Forks, WA - Kalaloch Lodge
Seattle, WA - CenturyLink Field

To be clear, they run the concessions at these places, not the places themselves. So go, enjoy the place, but pack a picnic lunch and stay in your camp rig instead of their pricy hotels.

I though I was going to see that Apple Computers had trademarked the name being they are used it for their previous operating system, which is now El Capitan. Glad to see it was not Apple.

Bseek said:
To be clear, they run the concessions at these places, not the places themselves. So go, enjoy the place, but pack a picnic lunch and stay in your camp rig instead of their pricy hotels.
Yes. Also almost every park has a nonprofit group associated with it. Such as Yosemite Conservancy, Friends of Olympic National Park, Yellowstone Park Foundation, etc. These groups often have shops and programs in the park and all of the proceeds go to projects that directly benefit the park. I used to work for the Park Service and I can't emphasis how big of impact some of these nonprofit groups have on the Park.

So if you want a souvenir, T-shirt or maps try to track down the local nonprofit park partner.

Kolockum said:
Yes. Also almost every park has a nonprofit group associated with it. Such as Yosemite Conservancy, Friends of Olympic National Park, Yellowstone Park Foundation, etc. These groups often have shops and programs in the park and all of the proceeds go to projects that directly benefit the park. I used to work for the Park Service and I can't emphasis how big of impact some of these nonprofit groups have on the Park.

So if you want a souvenir, T-shirt or maps try to track down the local nonprofit park partner.
Thanks for posting this info.
We have supported the Yellowstone Foundation for many years,they do great work.As do the others.
Frank

Bseek said:

Kolockum said:

These are great suggestions! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom