Zion in May want to reserve loop D

SeatoSea

Advanced Member
Hello, has anyone camped at Watchman, Loop D (tents) using their 4WC. Trying to reserve and the sight managers are concerned with truck & camper combo. Have F150 + Hawk, total length under 19'.
Will they allow it?
Traveling a long way don't want to be turned away.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Some poking around on the recreation.gov site for one of the sites in Loop D (Site 31) yielded this:

• has little shade.
  • is for tents and small camping vehicles only.
  • has a picnic table and a fire pit with a grill attached.

You can have a maximum of THREE TENTS at this campsite. No recreational vehicles 19' and over or in combined vehicle length.This includes pop-up trailers, camper trailers, motor-homes, some large camper vans and most cab-overs. NO EXCEPTIONS. "Upgrading" to a larger site is not possible. No generators.
I've driven through Watchman but have always stayed in South. If you took a look at the photo that goes with the site and made sure that there weren't any overhanging trees that would interfere you should be fine. Just to be safe I would suggest printing out the length statement from recreation.gov for that particular site and have it handy as a backup in case a campground host gets over zealous. The biggest thing they are trying to do in the tent only area there is eliminate generators and other other electronic disturbances.

In Oct 2013 just after the gov got back to work and things opened up again,we drove up and got site #37 in South CG.
It's near the restroom ( 60' or so)but has so much space you could park several large rigs in it.
I see that the sites along the river are marked "tent only",but there are some tent/small rigs on the outer loop across from the river.
Have fun.We enjoyed out 2 nights there but it's very windy in the canyon camps.
For some Zion photos check out my travel blog, for Zion 2013.
Frank

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
My better 1/2 & I measured, we come up with an under 19' length for the vehicle, we'll book a sight and see what happens.✌️

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom