thoughts on this solar set?

breathe deep

Hi Folks.

I am looking to install solar and have been using the search function and learning lots. I want to get a system that will supply more power than i currently use, so i can grow into it a bit.

I saw this on costco website and wonder what anyone with solar experience thinks?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BC-EC23772-ProdID11298029&pos=0&whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11113663&lang=en-US

Thanks for sharing!

Trying to get my Eagle ready for an epic trip to Yellowstone in July!

The panels look to be quality. I guess my first question would be, are you going to mount them both on the top of your Eagle? 38lbs will make your roof very heavy to lift. Another consideration is what are you planning on powering up that you would need so much power. This system would provide more than enough power for you, but what about storing this power? Your battery capacity would half to be pretty big to justify all the weight and power of this system. I suggest you figure out what your needs are before you purchase a system bigger than what you may need. There is a good spreadsheet program on this forum that calculates your power needs, but it does not address your storage requirements. I also think the price is a little steep, but Costco is great on returns and they have awsome hot dogs! -Joel

I agree. That's a lot of solar.

I installed a single 85-watt panel and I have plenty of juice to run stereo, lights, computer, etc.

You can see my install here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1725/page__fromsearch__1

Skeeter thanks for setting me straight. My newbieness is pretty obvious. After further research I think i will be scaling my grand visions down. Not sure how i ws going to lift the top with all that extra weight...doh!

Traveling Dan, thanks to you as well. I read your installation thread and will be reading it again when it comes time to install. Very helpful with those pictures and all.

My camper does not have a fridge, only an icebox which i am happy with. My main reason for getting a bit carried away is my love for music and playing music. I want to be able to play my stereo and then recharge it. It has both an a/c plug and rechargeable batteries. I also purchased an Optima battery(before discovering this site and reading a few so-so reviews) but would like to keep it in as good condition as possible. I realize a lot of that has to do with the controller, which i know very little about.

Anyone have any suggestions for a controller that i could use in conjunction with an 80-85 Watt panel and my Optima deep cycle battery? Or maybe some controller features worth looking into and having on board?

Thanks again guys.

Having done more research maybe i can get a yes or no from someone here...please!

Wondering if this controller will work well with an 80 Watt solar panel? Seems the MPPT technology is most important on medium to large solar arrays, and i am not sure an 80 Watt qualifies as even the low end of medium sized. Probably not. I like the idea of getting the full capacity out of my panel, and also like the led display.

Also wondering if the 25 amp that this controller specifies is compatible with an 80 watt dish? Confused about the amperage necessities.

Thanks for walking me through what is surely obvious to some.

Here is the controller:
http://www.ecodirect.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Blue-Sky-Solar-Boost-2000E&site=google_base

Having done more research maybe i can get a yes or no from someone here...please!

Wondering if this controller will work well with an 80 Watt solar panel? Seems the MPPT technology is most important on medium to large solar arrays, and i am not sure an 80 Watt qualifies as even the low end of medium sized. Probably not. I like the idea of getting the full capacity out of my panel, and also like the led display.

Also wondering if the 25 amp that this controller specifies is compatible with an 80 watt dish? Confused about the amperage necessities.

Thanks for walking me through what is surely obvious to some.

Here is the controller:
http://www.ecodirect.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Blue-Sky-Solar-Boost-2000E&site=google_base

I have that exact controller and I love it!
MPPT is a must.
You will get at the most 6.6 amps out of your panel.
I have a 135 watt panel, I see at the most 10.1 amp charge to dual AGMs and never come close to using all the power I have
and I run so much "crap" I am embarrassed to list it.
Panel size is perfect, maybe a second battery would be better for those long nights.
Jeff

Thanks for helping out Jeff. Another Battery down the road is definitely a possibility. I would like my controller to be able to handle a potential increase in storage. If i am correct adding another battery will have no effect on the compatibility of the system? I can certainly see my wife and baby using a good amount of electric if they ever spend a good amount of time out in the bush!

The important thing is that my controller has a higher max amperage rating than my solar panel??? Is this correct and how i should be sizing my controller? The panel i am looking at is 80 watts with a max amp output of 4.67 amps.

Herr42 I appreciate you linking me to the ASC controller. What FWC uses is surely good enough for me and would love to spend less money and have a capable system.

The important thing is that my controller has a higher max amperage rating than my solar panel??? Is this correct and how i should be sizing my controller? The panel i am looking at is 80 watts with a max amp output of 4.67 amps.

Herr42 I appreciate you linking me to the ASC controller. What FWC uses is surely good enough for me and would love to spend less money and have a capable system.

Among the controllers at that link it looks like the 8-amp would be the correct one for you, because -- yes -- it's the amp-output of the solar panel that you want to meet...or rather, exceed.
By the way: What can be confusing at first (it was to me, at least) is that most/all so-called "12v" panels put out significantly more than 12 volts. For example, your 80-watt panel's max current is 4.67amps: 4.67amps x 17.1 volts = 80watts. That's a typical solar panel voltage output rating, based on the shopping-research I've done. Some people consider an MPPT controller worthwhile for that reason, otherwise the voltage that's more than your battery can safely take may be "wasted" by a non-MPPT controller...something like that -- but I'm no expert.
smile.gif

Thanks for taking the time to explain that. It makes sense to me now. I ordered the 8 amp controller and figure for such a reasonable cost, if i ever needed to upgrade it would not be too painful. Cheers

here is a good explanation of a mppt controller

http://www.blueskyen...hat_is_MPPT.pdf

on a small system your looking at benefit measured in milliamps.

A quote from that link says:

"What most people see in cool comfortable temperatures with typical battery conditions is a charge
current increase of between 10 – 25%. Cooler temperatures and highly discharged batteries can
produce increases in excess of 30%. Customers in cold climates have reported charge current
increases in excess of 40%."

So, 10 - 25% of 4 amps is 400 to 1000 milliamps. You can measure it in milliamps, but that doesn't mean it's negligible.
Or is there something else, other factors, that the explanation in that link doesn't consider?

no...no.

i just dont know that the added cost is really worth it in the end.
my tendency is to go with the lower percentage benefit rather than the highest numbers. if the benefit was better than %10 they would go with the higher rating and claim a larger number.....but they dont.

i think i would spend the cost diff on a bigger pv module and go with the simpler shunt controller.

This is the last one I saw out in the shop ...

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/sharp80wattsolarpanel.PDF

(unless Tom changed vendors without letting us know) ?

But this should be the current model.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know what 85 watt panel that FWC uses for their factory install?

The mppt controller does not determine how effective it is, the solar panel does. Look at the maximum power rating, lets say 17.3 volts. Divide that by the maximum Voltage you set your controller for at the battery, say 14.4 volts. In that case you will get 1.20 or a 20 percent increase in charging with an mppt controller versus a standard controller. So you would need a 20 percent larger panel to get the same output with the standard controller. If the solar panel puts out 22 volts at maximum power, then you would need 22/14.4 or a 52 percent larger panel. With lifting the roof is a struggle for me, I would prefer to lift a smaller panel, and so far cost checks have indicated that the panel increases cost more than the controller does.

I have decided to not put in solar on my Four Wheel, Since I just don't think I can reliably lift any more weight. I will rarely use it for extended use in one place. Any driving will easily recharge the 250 amp hours I have installed. I do however have 400 watts on top of my Vixen motorhome (360 amp hours) and the mppt controller is well worth it. My unit with mppt will consistently put out nearly 30 amps with a good sun. With a standard controller it is well under 20 amps.

When I was considering solar on the Four Wheel, I was looking at the unisolar flexible units. The 68 watt unit was just too long for my Hawk camper. They are very light, and have the advantage of some solar output in partial shade.

I have decided to not put in solar on my Four Wheel, Since I just don't think I can reliably lift any more weight.

Thanks for the information. I just got an MPPT controller and a 120 watt panel and will be doing my solar install shortly.

If the weight is the only thing holding you back....just install the roof lifter assist with the gas struts. I makes lifting the roof a snap....and if you add more weight to your roof in the future....just replace your struts with stronger ones. In fact, even if you don't get solar I highly recomment the roof lifter assist...just to save your back.

I will replace my 40# struts with 80# struts once my solar installation is complete.

I will replace my 40# struts with 80# struts once my solar installation is complete.

Make sure the 40# won't do the job. I have 55# + on my roof and the 40's are more than enough.

Make sure the 40# won't do the job. I have 55# + on my roof and the 40's are more than enough.

I just set the panel on the roof and tested it with the 80# struts......sweeeeeeet.

I have two fantastic vents, Yak rails with bars, Yak basket, and boat rack on roof already. The 40# struts were not enough to make the roof easy. Now...even with the 120 watt panel on the roof it lifts EASY with the 80# struts. I plan on removing the Yak basket (since I've never really used it) and leave the bars up there to protect the solar panel from branches etc.

I don't have the struts mounted on the outside...just one set mounted inside (FWC factory install). The folks with two sets mounted front and rear would have a different result I'm sure.

Attachments

• roof before solar install.JPG
    roof before solar install.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 161

Back
Top Bottom