Bought used NL hardside..... Heresy, I know.

Freebird

Well I'm buying a hard-side camper, and selling my pop-up Alaskan Camper when I complete the trim on the newly installed compressor refrig.
The wife NEEDS a shower, a larger bed, and hot water, things the Alaskan camper that I own, and like so well, just does not have. Mandatory features. Non negotiable features. The replacement camper will be used in retirement to travel around the country and snowbird. The wife is not into camping nor back country adventuring. Tolerates it occasionally in the Alaskan, but no-go on long term trips (she has been there, done that), and especially not mostly living in it on the road. Ain't happenin' (heavy sigh...).
So I started my search for an acceptable (to her) replacement TC. I put a 2000 lbs (dry) target for my search/quest. That eliminated the XP-V1 camper that I have been SO sweet on (wife did NOT like it - Price, pop-up, size). In fact, the wt target eliminated the vast majority of truck campers. Pickups have increased in power and weight hauling capability through the years, and almost all the TC builders have found that to be the market.
On the web I found a TC maker that sounded promising made about 4 hours north of me. I made a trip to Penticton, BC to look the camper, and campers in production at Westland Camper. Liked what I saw overall, but both the local (BC) sales person which I was referred to, and camper builder were completely unresponsive to any modifications (install compressor fridge, etc) to the product. The builder is a very small operation, and he has a backlog of orders. I moved on.
A couple weeks later I returned to the Okanogan Valley in Canada (BTW-beautiful area!), but went further north to Kelowna, BC, to see the Northern Lite factory building campers. Very impressive build with top/bottom clamshell foam/fiberglass camper structure. Very nice, indeed. Quality materials inside and out. I was impressed.
My contact person at the factory was very nice, and he was willing to at least research the custom items I was interested in. They are also backlogged for many months.
After I returned home, and was pondering what I had seen and took px of, I realized the lack of adequate storage-drawers, cabinets, cubby holes-was unacceptable in both the Westland, and the Northern Lite camper in the target weight rigs. My 10' CO Alaskan weighs 1910 (data plate) and has more storage than the new ones I had looked at (my Alaskan has narrow dinette for 2, so more storage than typical).
What now?
I started pondering various cabinet modifications/additions that I could do to increase the storage in/on the NL. At least eek out a bit more. Then it dawned on me I was thinking about scabbing on cabinets on a beautiful new camper, and my cabinet building skills are zero. Well, maybe .1 on a "zero to ten" scale. Doing that did not make sense.
So I decide to buy a used NL camper to hack, paste, screw and glue on. Started searching, but there were very few used FS near my target weight, and none within driving distance to follow up on.
While I was googling various combinations of words that included NL, finally one popped up on Craigslist. Older NL unit in N. Idaho. A 1998 NL 8.5 that weighs about 2000 lbs. (before the A/C was added later). The ad said "awesome storage". Well, I thought I knew better, but I dropped everything to go see it.
I was amazed. It had acceptable factory storage. Actually large in comparison to today's product. Camper exterior is a bit rough (chalky gel coat, UV damage to all exterior plastics etc.), which can be spruced up. The inside looked used, but not abused. I had managed to luck upon one of the NL campers that they had made their handsome reputation on. I agreed to pay what they were asking for it, and have made a deposit on it. They are holding it while we assemble the necessary money & time (wedding season) to complete the transaction.
It was not everything that I wanted. It's on a quite tall (to me) basement with very generous interior headroom over the bed. It is TALL, so I'll be pushing a lot of air going down the road. Also, unfortunately, the tall height will eliminate roads/trails with low overhangs. Can't have it all. Trade offs dominate most decisions..
The camper has a plenty big enough (queen size) bed (E-W), WB shower, and HW tank, plus bigger refrig with separate upper freezer door (3 way).
Overall pretty nice. Not my preference, but maybe happy wife, happy life.

Completed the transaction today, and also bought the 2009 Ram 3500 diesel dually long bed it was/is mated to.....

If a NL is a Northern Lite, I think it's the best of the hard sides. No heresy on your part, it's all in what you want to do with your camper.

Congratulations! Sounds like a good truck/camper combo. Be sure to post pics.

Here is the requested photo of the mated pair.
Btw, first photo ever posted in any forum....
Years ago I tried on a forum, and it was VERY complex/challenging/beyond my skills.
Here, now, on WTW on my iPad, it was easy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 221
Nice rig - good luck with it. I have looked at NL campers, and think they are one of the better ones out there.

This whole week is a "shakedown cruise" doing a circuit of the Olympic Pensula since Monday (7/20)
Everything seems to work well so far.... (7/23)
I do NEED to improve/change/something the SAD scissor entry steps, tho..... BAD!
Mostly out of net connectivity except driving through a town or two along the way.
Very beautiful area!

Nice looking rig, Free
Body material looks like it's Fiberglas (?).
And electric jacks with a remote?
Truck looks like it easily handles the weight. By the way what is the full weight?

Yes, "clamshell" (top bottom mated) fiberglass/foam.
Electric jacks, manual switches on the motor.
Weight is 2000 lbs with/including fresh water & propane full (according to data tag). Roof air added well after it left the factory in 1998, so maybe 80-100 lbs added up real high.
It has an "RV Queen bed" E-W. I now know that a "Queen bed" in an RV can be about 5-6" shorter than std "residential" Queen bed... It works for us. My wife is on the shorter side so I can sleep (somewhat) diagonally. Lol

While we are talking about the camper.....
Today I removed the camper from the truck and remounted it with rubber/plywood/rubber underneath it. It had slid backwards in the bed about 4" before we bought it, and I knew when we purchased them that it needed to be remounted on the truck. It previously had plywood/plywood/rubber, (mounted at an RV service center) and the camper had slid on the plywood, plus the plywoods slid in relation to each other. I expect/hope that solves the sliding backwards problem, since the front driver's side turnbuckle+chain blocks the fuel fill flap some when it slides back at all. Having a Happyjac front tiedown mount instead of the Torklift near straight down low below on the frame would be better in both respects (flap & sliding), but this is what some RV service outfit sold the previous owners (grrrr). I'll see how it does now. I'm cheap, and would rather not change it out, or add it (Happyjac front bracket) to what I've got. (Both together would work - sorta belt plus suspenders. Lol).
I also added springs on the turnbuckle chains and preloaded them some. I tend to think solid camper to frame mount without "give" built in can be too harsh (wrong thing might "give, causing damage)..... I like some spring "cushioning". I'll see if I can manage to download a photo.

image.jpg

Photo of the turnbuckle+chain+spring as the truck n camper sit now....
I have added a 500+lbs (preloaded) spring, which is backed up by the turnbuckle chain. A little primitive, I agree, but effective. I'm not planning on taking it off any more often than I have to, and that will not be often!
(Four springs about $10 each from Amazon)
Notice the location of the fuel filler flap/door that opens towards the front of the truck/turnbuckle. Camper sliding backwards is a problem. The only (known) scratches on the whole truck are on the filler flap. Most were there before, but I fueled, too

I was thinkin a short section of spiral cut 3/4" poly pipe might work well.... :)
Remounting the camper was the first step to seeing the relationship. Now I'm pondering options on the chain to flap interference issue since it is better, but still somewhat in the way...
And I'm hoping it stays PUT !

EDIT/Addition:
I just put a 1" spiral cut poly pipe wrapped around the chain above the spring on the chain. Looks like "redneck engineering", but works beautifully!
I happen to have some poly pipe in my garage, so just went out n' got-er-done!

Back
Top Bottom