U shaped dinette

anonymous

Advanced Member
I'm surprised I've never seen anyone build the classic horse shoe shaped dinette for 3 people that converts into a bed rather than just a side dinette for 2 people. You see these on a lot of similar campers - palomino for one, and they are the same width (pickup bed). Is there any reason that wouldn't work or am I missing something?

The front dinette in my Grandby seats 4, 2 on each side. If someone sits with their back against the front window it could be considered U-shaped, but there's no real reason to do it.

I've sort of looked at that.

I usually work using the following...

The number of people = double the number of feet in the foot space under the table = the number of dinner sized plates on the table.

In our small truck campers, with the number of people = 3, I find that the feet under the table don't have enough room, unless someone has their feet on top of another persons feet, and the dinner sized plates don't fit very well on the table.

So, take some measurements of feet and dinner sized plates, then make the table the size you want and then figure out the size the foot space under the table is going to be (usually the same size as the table if you want to convert the dinette into a bunk) and lastly, then figure out what size the seats are going to be.

Does it all fit?

If that works out OK and everything can all fit comfortably then go for it.

Might be easier to have the regular 2 person dinette (a table that can go farther towards the outside wall, i.e., a bigger table) with a portable seat/stool that feet can be tucked under (or along the sides) when sitting, located in the center of the camper (at the inside end of the table). That's what I do when we have 3 of us camping. Usually the cook sits down last, so (s)he gets the stool in the center of the camper.

LookyLou said:
The front dinette in my Grandby seats 4, 2 on each side. If someone sits with their back against the front window it could be considered U-shaped, but there's no real reason to do it.
That is a nice setup I just worry it will be in the way both when setup as a table and broken down when its being used as a sleeper when u want to get into the bed or out in the middle of the night

Alley-Kat said:
Might be easier to have the regular 2 person dinette (a table that can go farther towards the outside wall, i.e., a bigger table) with a portable seat/stool that feet can be tucked under (or along the sides) when sitting, located in the center of the camper (at the inside end of the table). That's what I do when we have 3 of us camping. Usually the cook sits down last, so (s)he gets the stool in the center of the camper.
Interesting Any photos of this setup?

Here's what I'm talking about -
table.jpg

Thanks for the kind words on my interior build, it's much appreciated.

That photo of the U-shaped dinette looks good, plenty of table space and plenty of feet space, although the corners are tough to sit in when others are also at the dinette.
If you're going to get a full sized truck camper it could work.
It's all about measurements, measurements, measurements, how much space is there to work with?

maybe the front dinette is the way to go. how far does the upper bed extend over where a front dinette would be in a Hawk? I was thinking it may be enough to easily step over someone sleeping below?

The side dinette in the 4wc is not very efficient because of the small cabinets they attach to the wall. This eliminates a person sitting against the window. Other campers like hallmark have a beautiful horseshoe shaped bench and table that sits 4. They have small cabinets that are attached to the roof. Of course, they have a heavy lift system.
I cut and moved the cabinet so someone could sit against the window and it is better. Wish 4wc would get on board

Attachments

• 3 SEAT RESIZE 2.jpg
    3 SEAT RESIZE 2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 3 SEAT RESIZE.jpg
    3 SEAT RESIZE.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 148
bike4mee said:
The side dinette in the 4wc is not very efficient because of the small cabinets they attach to the wall. This eliminates a person sitting against the window. Other campers like hallmark have a beautiful horseshoe shaped bench and table that sits 4. They have small cabinets that are attached to the roof. Of course, they have a heavy lift system.
I cut and moved the cabinet so someone could sit against the window and it is better. Wish 4wc would get on board
I was thinking I'd ask them to leave the cabinet off or removing it myself. I'm kind of liking the front dinette idea now though. I don't have a camper yet so I'm just dreaming at this point!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom