Another Cautionary Tale

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
The 3Pins and I were chatting a few days ago, and it was mentioned that a mutual friend had their truck towed to a local dealer with some kind of a wild critter dangling from the engine compartment. Coincidentally, my Ranger is at the dealer having rodent damage repair work done. It appears we picked up a larger rodent at some point, and now have our ventilation ducts filled with nest material and rat turds. I’m not sure of the physical damage due to chewed wires, lines, and other components, but I anticipate at least 10 hours of labor at a $150.00/hr rate… so a minimum of $1500.00, not including parts.

I do have a rodent damage policy via my comprehensive insurance, with a $100.00 deductible. That policy is roughly $30.00/per year/per vehicle. I’m thinking that my decision to add rodent damage has me looking wiser than a whole tree full of owls.

What about you, gotta rodent damage policy?

You made a wise decision by including the insurance cover for damages caused by rodents. I definitely think it was a smart move to add it. Repairing property destroyed by rats can be costly and this is where the importance of having only a $100 deductible lies. Even though I do not own one, the experiences shared by people like you give me enough reasons to think about getting one. It’s better to prevent a $1500 unforeseen bill at all costs.

I got the Ranger back from the dealership this afternoon. The total to repair and clean the ventilation system and other areas came to $2733, of which $2150 was labor. The biggest expense parts wise was for the fan blower motor at just under $500.

My share was $100, and I’m sure glad I had that rodent damage policy.

Back
Top Bottom