help please

Brazill

Could someone that knows please tell me the dry weight of a 1962 NCO camper? I do not own it yet. I have a 2002, 1500 Chev. 4x4 with air bags. Six and a half foot bed. Will this combination work? If so, what is the best way to secure it to the truck and what jacks would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help. Bill

1500 is too light weight to carry it a long distance....if you're just moving it around the corner...it'll work

I'll tag another thread with those weights on it

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/13088-older-nco-weights/

the bags won't make the truck carry more weight...they'll stabilize your load so you won't have the side to side sway....the springs aren't big enough...your steering will be compromised

the short bed would work on a 2500 with the tailgate down for an 8' NCO

getting it home a short distance would be ok with a ratchet strap around the back of the camper to secure it....

jacks...

best...4-reico titan or another tripod, manual crank with brackets

acceptable once or twice...with great care and several people...4 cable jacks

with the utmost care, several people and some luck....2 or 3 cable jacks.....a note....this is an unacceptable method in my book...and I've seen disasters which took place because of these jacks...totally destroying the camper....there are salvage parts on the gear exchange from just such an accident

My advise would be to first check your vehicles GVWR it is probably on a sticker on the inside of your door jamb.

GVWR varies based on options added to the truck. Once you establish the GVWR subtract the curb weight of your truck, a full tank of fuel, the weight of your passengers and any other items you might be carrying. After doing that simple math then you will know how much camper you can carry.

For example:

Assume the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is 7,000 pounds.

The weight of the truck is 5,200 pounds, add two 200 pound passengers, add full tank of fuel 200 pounds, add cooler with food and ice 30 pounds, add fishing and camping gear 170 pounds. Total 6000 pounds. Subtract that total from the GVWR (7,000 - 6000) leaves you 1000 pounds max safe payload or max safe weight for the camper.

Looking at the link Rusty provided you can estimate an 8' NCO at 1500 pounds. The example above could not handle it. If you have 2000 or more pounds left over in your GVWR then it will work but, if you do not then no one wants to drive their truck for any length of time at or past max weight rating as it wears out the springs, the tires and the brakes, not to mention the transmission. Also operating past the max weight rating is not safe either.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. So what is the dry weight of a 8 foot NCO? Some people say 750 on the low end some say 1250. I have seen 1500,s short beds with 8 foot NCO's on the road. I now assume that is unsafe or unwise from reading above. I have a great 1500 and hate to part with it. Seems like if I had a 8 foot bed 2500
chevy I'd be in business. Correct? Thanks again for your help. Bill

I've never seen a weight estimate at 750, but that's not to say "from some people" wouldn't tell you whatever it took.....there is a weight for a utility 8' nco which is inaccurate in one of the original single page publications....if you check the bottom of that page it claims to include 20 gal of water (160#) and 25# of ice....that would make the camper 565# DRY......maybe the bottom half....LOL ......of that original utility bed design

the weights vary from year to year....but 1500# is a reasonable number....the newer 8' models are somewhat heavier than that

bottom line...a half ton pickup is not enough to carry the camper, you're risking yourself and putting others at risk by chancing that use

I hear what you are saying and passed on the camper until I find a nice 3/4 ton long bed pick up. Thanks for your advise even though It's not what I wanted to hear. Bill

There are quite a few out there...and some really nice ones too....

consider your options for what you want in the camper ..then when you have the truck in hand....and you find "the jewel"....

batta bing

Thanks for your help Rusty. I live not far away in Mendocino so if you hear of an early NCO 8 foot or truck or both please let me know. Bill
ph. 937-4007 p.s. I have a 1965 International 20 passenger school bus I converted and traveled around the country in I would consider trading or selling to the right person.

Bill.....Good, clean Alaskans don't last long on the open market....my 10' CO was on the market for 18 minutes....I've seen some out in the boonies last a little longer but an hour is about what you get for one in good shape....

You need to choose a truck and have it at the ready to charge out and pick it up....

occasionally truck and camper...originally fitted together....come on the market.... ;)

be ready to do a little traveling to get one in that condition...I've seen 2 in the last 6 months...one in Redding and one in Virginia

Back
Top Bottom