Siding installation question

Wyo1

Advanced Member
I’m getting ready to install the siding on my new camper build, and am having an issue with my air nailer/stapler. The aluminum square tubing I used on my camper is 1/16” wall thickness, and the staples I’m using are 18 ga. 1/4” crown 1/2” long. I’ve cranked the air pressure up to 120 psi and turned the adjustment on the nailer up as high as it will go, and it will still not drive a staple into the tubing. Anyone else that has replaced the siding have this issue? I know pokeybro used the same setup that I’ve got, not sure if maybe the wall thickness on his frame is thinner perhaps. Any suggestions anyone can offer? Thanks for the help!

Wyo1
I used an inexpensive Harbor Freight 18 ga stapler as you implied. My frame had both the original rounded edge thin wall tubing and the square edge tubing I added. I tested the stapler out on both materials before installing the siding and had no problems at all with penetration. I think I used 5/8” staples on mine.
So my thoughts are it might just be your staple gun. Is it well oiled? Do you live anywhere near a harbor freight where you could go for a cheap replacement, about $20?
Your air pressure sounds spot on. So, if you haven’t already, oil up and give it a workout on some wood and then try again on the aluminum tubing.
Poky

PokyBro said:
Wyo1
I used an inexpensive Harbor Freight 18 ga stapler as you implied. My frame had both the original rounded edge thin wall tubing and the square edge tubing I added. I tested the stapler out on both materials before installing the siding and had no problems at all with penetration. I think I used 5/8” staples on mine.
So my thoughts are it might just be your staple gun. Is it well oiled? Do you live anywhere near a harbor freight where you could go for a cheap replacement, about $20?
Your air pressure sounds spot on. So, if you haven’t already, oil up and give it a workout on some wood and then try again on the aluminum tubing.
Poky
My staple gun is a cheap one from Walmart, have used it on lots of projects with no issues. I’ll oil it and try it on a scrap piece like I’ve been doing and see what happens. I ordered a 16 gauge 7/16 crown air stapler, I’m hoping it’ll work (and not be overkill) if I can’t get my 18 gauge stapler to work. I considered getting a better quality 18 ga. stapler to see if it would work too.
My options for stores are pretty limited, I live in rural Wyoming.
Thank you for the help Poky!

You should be blasting thru the aluminum no problem with your set up.

cwd

I also used a harbor fright gun that is many years old. Mine was all original tubing. My staples were sourced from ATC were I purchased my siding. I remember Marty asking me what kind of gun I planned on using, then giving me a handful of staples. He told me they were coated, and he highly recommended I use them. They looked vaguely like vinyl sinker nails, but I didn't see the box that they came from. Maybe a call to ATC could help you out.

When I redid the inside of mine I had taken the windows out, and no stapler I tried could get through the windows and framing. I ended up screwing them in, which is fine, since they are all out of sight. You don't have that option with the siding, but I hear your frustration. I am curious as to why some staplers/people seem to have no issues, and others do.

I did mine with the 18 g harbor freight as well and no problem .. something is fishy

I never could get my 18 ga. stapler to work, but the 16 ga. stapler came in the mail yesterday and did the trick! I now have siding on two sides. Hopefully will have the rest installed tonight.

Wyo1 said:
I never could get my 18 ga. stapler to work, but the 16 ga. stapler came in the mail yesterday and did the trick! I now have siding on two sides. Hopefully will have the rest installed tonight.
Nice! its so nice seeing the siding go on.. makes them look brand new!

question on why you couldn't rivet the side panels on .. I know you'd have to drill and rivet but seems like it would be a better solution than the staples ? for that matter why shouldn't I be replacing the all the rusted #8 and #10 sheet metal screws with alum rivets ?

mhskog said:
question on why you couldn't rivet the side panels on .. I know you'd have to drill and rivet but seems like it would be a better solution than the staples ? for that matter why shouldn't I be replacing the all the rusted #8 and #10 sheet metal screws with alum rivets ?
Rivets would have been a plausible solution, though much more time consuming I’m sure.
I’m fine with the results the staples provided.
The trim and other exterior pieces of the camper actually will help hold the siding on as well.

Got the siding all on and windows, door, etc. cut out. Just about done with that part of the project. Looks pretty nice so far too!
IMG_4672.JPG

Rjensen219 said:
Is the siding new or did you recycle the old? If new can I ask where you got it and price?
The siding is new, I ordered it from FWC through their dealer in Jackson, WY (closest dealer to me)
I ordered it and several other things for my build and didn’t ask a price on the siding since I figured it wasn’t anything special as far as RV siding goes. That was a mistake on my part as it ended up being around $1200 if I recall. I think you could find it much cheaper from an rv parts supplier or similar.

Most are reluctant or refuse to ship siding, it's too big and too frail. Who wants bent siding?

I suspect FWC shipped yours along with a load of campers, pretty easy for them to do.

It is all standard RV stuff, so If you can find a local repair shop that stocks it you'r way better off

I sourced mine from ATC after failing to get a price from FWC. Same pattern, "Mesa" but different spacing, and different texture -"Pebbles" vs "Cedar". Oh, ATC doesn't do stripes!

I just redid my old granby with brand new siding.. I got it at a place called the metal company in Arvada, CO. It was very cheap. Siding was probably around $300.. with all the trim pieces and a new propane door, I think I am in around $500.. I had to paint my own stripe as they only have white, pretty easy. some pics in the link below

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/16057-picked-up-a-project-90s-granby/page-5

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom