Smooth aluminum siding

Rhust

Advanced Member
I ordered my Grandby with smooth aluminum siding. I think it looks a little better and more modern. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Pros, modern look, easy to clean.
Cons, shows dings a little easier, shows oil caning some, not easily repaired.
I personally like the smooth aluminum on our Grandby.
5-CFE7-FB3-A78-E-45-DC-BBCB-D4-A23-BAA9406.jpg

Is there a weight penalty for the smooth siding? I would imagine it has to be thicker as it doesn't have the increased strength from the corrugations - but I have not looked into it.

I also prefer the smooth siding look and think it would make it easier to add things the exterior and to seal the corners and joints, but it was not an option in 2016 when I bought mine.

Thanks for the comments. What is oil canning? Crinckeling? What causes it?

Oil canning is when you have a pressure change on the outside of the camper and the siding 'pops' from convex to concave with a thud. It sometimes happens with the flat roof in the wind. When the wind blows over the roof it lowers the air pressure right above the roof causing it to bow out (with a thud) then when the wind drops it bows back in (again with a thud) similar to when an oil or gas can bows in when it cools down and the internal pressure drops.

rando said:
Oil canning is when you have a pressure change on the outside of the camper and the siding 'pops' from convex to concave with a thud. It sometimes happens with the flat roof in the wind. When the wind blows over the roof it lowers the air pressure right above the roof causing it to bow out (with a thud) then when the wind drops it bows back in (again with a thud) similar to when an oil or gas can bows in when it cools down and the internal pressure drops.
Thanks, that does not sound like fun.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
That is not fun. Trying to sleep with an oil canning roof isn’t fun. Our Grandby did that, and that’s why I sold it (with full disclosure to the buyer).

Ah, you could have thrown a couple of used tires on the roof to stop that! :cool:

I seem to remember that smooth siding does weigh more, but not certain..nor if that extra amounts to much..

As for looking more modern? Well, I have seen smooth campers around for decades, so that part is lost on me...

Phil

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom