mounting MaxTrax

Doff

Advanced Member
Hi all

Wondering how ya'll mount your maxtrax to you FWC? We have a Hawk slide in. Don't think there's anyway to mount them to the back or sides. HAs anyone mounted to the Yakama track or bars? What mounting set up did you use?

THANKS!

I built a roof rack out of 80/20 extrusions and brackets that mounts directly to the Yakima tracks. This is on a Grandby, so there is a little more space on the roof:

Rack with Maxtrax mounted:

Maxtrax Rack 3-640.jpg

Mount to Yakima track:

Maxtrax Rack 2-640.jpg

Bracket I used to keep maxtrax from sliding and also allow them to be locked:

Maxtrax Rack 1-640.jpg

Maxtrax Rack Lock-640.jpg

I can provide more details if you are interested.

-Scott

Scott, that's pretty much what I am looking for. What are those bars you attached to the Yakama tracks? you built them?

Doff said:
Scott, that's pretty much what I am looking for. What are those bars you attached to the Yakama tracks? you built them?

Here is a link to the 80/20 web site, which can be a little overwhelming. FWIW, I ended up buying most of the parts from McMaster-Carr.

https://8020.net/

I decided to go with 80/20 because of the flexibility if I ever decide to reconfigure to accommodate other items. I was originally intending to attach Maxtrax pins to the flat surface plates mounted horizontally to the top of the 80/20 rails. However, I decided to keep things simple initially and mount those plates vertically without the pins to help secure the Maxtrax through the handles to keep them from sliding. This seems to work well, so I have skipped the pins. I used 6' x 1" x 1" 80/20 extrusions with slots on 3 sides - the flat side with no slot is on the bottom against the tracks. I also used stainless steel bolts with Torx security heads to make it a little more difficult for someone to disassemble. The Yakima tracks from FWC usually have extra M6-1mm T-nuts in the slot, so I used M6x12mm bolts to attach the 80/20 brackets to the tracks. I used 1/4-20 bolts for the rest of the assembly.

Back
Top Bottom