Random FWC Photos

fwc3.jpg

Hey Hadley -
You caught my license plate on my CBI swingdown carrier! D'you get this pic in Kanab? Looks like the snow from my last work trip over there. That was right before I realized I'd finally sheared my first elevator bolt.
-joe D.

Hey Hadley -
You caught my license plate on my CBI swingdown carrier!

Sorry about the plate number showing. I pulled that photo and edited out the numbers. Just edit your post to remove the link to the old photo.

D'you get this pic in Kanab? Looks like the snow from my last work trip over there. That was right before I realized I'd finally sheared my first elevator bolt.
-joe D.

Yes, you were parked in Kanab. I pulled a quick U so I could gawk at your setup. Is it a shell with a heater? How is it working for you? Ever wish you had got an Eagle for the extra room? Although then you could not have the CBI.

Sorry about the plate number showing. I pulled that photo and edited out the numbers. Just edit your post to remove the link to the old photo.
All good - thanks for the quick edit!

Yes, you were parked in Kanab. I pulled a quick U so I could gawk at your setup. Is it a shell with a heater? How is it working for you? Ever wish you had got an Eagle for the extra room? Although then you could not have the CBI.

Thanks for the nice words on my setup. 2010 shell model with the forced air heater, a two-burner stove on the heater cabinet, screen door, and yakima tracks. The furnace is a winter game-changer - 32 nights camping since 11/18/10! My dual battery setup (two group 34 batteries under the hood with an IBS system) doesn't quite keep up with the furnace, ARB 50L fridge, and standard lights, but a 5-minute run of my engine before bed after a long winter night of using the furnace and lights keeps us going. Wave heaters sounds nice for electricity conservation, but that quick heat from the factory furnace sure is nice in the a.m.! I anticipated only winter use of the stove, but it's so nice to be within reach of the bed for morning coffee. Replaced the manual thermostat with one of the Hunter digital units and moved it to just under the full slide-out of the bed so I can reach it from bed in the a.m. and stay under the covers until 65 degrees! Haven't used the screen door yet. Yakima tracks accomodate my Loadwarrior rack and kayak mounts and spare tire, but almost insane to try to lift...even empty! Maybe useful later with some lift assist struts.
Only time I've wished for any more length inside was sleeping on the floor of the camper with my backpacking pad the last two nights when I let two of my friends take the top bed - the 70" doesn't accomodate stretching out with a pillow...even for my 5'7" height!
CBI swing-down had been nice for peace of mind and as a camper step, though the bolts holding it in the receiver seem to need regular tightening with regular off-road use and it's a little heavy to always be lifting up. Kinda a pain to take off and remove license plate to put on bumper when it's not in use, but I usually keep it on.

Hope this helps with your own FWC build ideas!

-joe D.

Thanks for the nice words on my setup. 2010 shell model with the forced air heater, a two-burner stove on the heater cabinet, screen door, and yakima tracks.

Can you post a photo of your interior?

Yeah, I can imagine the heater would be nice. First night out on this trip the temp was negative six. Then I had a couple times when I spent 36 hours in the back of the truck, one time I was caught in a snow storm, the other time I was sick. A heater would be really nice.

Deep in the San Raphael Swell, April 2011

S

Attachments

• IMG_5439_5.jpg
    IMG_5439_5.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 336
I love the B&W. If you were there this past week you must have froze your A$$ off. Although as I'm sure you know it's much more comfy in an ATC.

I love the B&W. If you were there this past week you must have froze your A$$ off. Although as I'm sure you know it's much more comfy in an ATC.

Yeah, Cathedral valley was chilly 2 weeks ago. Was in Zion NP this past weekend and was even colder! Brought the 15 degree bags this time.

Thanks for the compliment on the shot.

S

Deep in the San Raphael Swell, April 2011

S

One of my favorite places since we spent a week there last October. Were there any desert blooms near Factory Butte? They usually bloom in early April according to a photographer I admire. Nice B&W

Back
Top Bottom