door window glass is sliding down

HERR42

the glass pane in the door is slowly moving down. i can just make out the upper edge of it.
i noticed this when rinsing off the back of the camper upon our return. a bit of water ran down the inside of the pane.

i guess this is a common issue?

Not the first time I've heard about it and it happened to me too. I guess the plastic clips inside the door that hold the bottom of the glass in place, stress & break over time.

I noticed mine when it had dropped about an inch or so. I was all packed and heading out of town that day about 3 years ago. I posted about it here looking for a solution on WTW, but I can't find the thread now... I gently pushed it back up with a hand on each side of the glass. Then I smeared a bunch of clear-caulk at the top of the glass & frame to hold it in place and went on my trip. It's still like that and has never been a problem since.

Some guys bought new clips, tore apart their door and replaced the clips. When I asked around, caulk was the consensus choice for the fix. It's worked for me so far...

The old sliding down door window problem.. I remember this happened a few years ago. Can't remember where I read it, but there are a bunch of ways to fix this....

I remember that I took off one side of the window, found the itty bitty broken plastic tabs. I then cut some scrap wood blocks to put under the glass in the frame so it would never fall again. Then, added caulk and some insulation around the rest of the window and screwed it all back together.

Now, the only time it will fall is if it breaks. I think if you drive off road, it will happen sooner or later. Mine was just before a rain storm. I was wondering why the camper was so drafty that night......

Never a problem since.

Good luck,

dave in Seattle

Pretty sure anyone that has driven washboard has had this problem. It is easy to remove the window and frame from the door by removing all those screws. I then laid one side of the frame flat and ran a bead of silicone around the edge. Set the glass on that and let it set up. Then put that half of the frame and window back in the door, run a bead of silicone around the other half of the frame, and put in place and screw it back together. Like Dave, haven't had a problem with it in the five years since we did this.

As others have said it's a pretty easy fix and there are several old posts on the subject. I cut some dense foam (think swimming pool kick board) and placed it on the bottom for a little padding.

you know, the only reason this happens is that the adhesive fails.

those tabs cant be there to support any weight.

the adhesive that attaches the out trim ring to the fiberglass door exterior had failed as well as that between the glass and the trim ring.

i am going to go over to FWC and get another exterior trim ring.
i have some 3m adhesive tape i will try, and will add some wood blocks.

I didnt take mine apart, just ran a bead of silicone on the inside and outside, haven't had any problems yet. Btw, I did that precautionary after hearing of all the other problems.

Back
Top Bottom