Favorite Books

Funny that. I read blue highways a long time ago and still have the paperback. When we drove to AK two years ago i got the audio version and it was great being read to. He writes very well, great turns of phrase. I was saddened to read about Travels with Charlie in a New Yorker article that he spent a lot of his time in a NY city hotel writing that and Charlie passed away in a kennel. I was devastated.

Thanks Buckland. Maybe when your done with it you could share it on https://www.paperbackswap.com/ Irrespective of its name, they swap other forms as well. I have drastically reduced my amazon purchases since joining. That said, getting the latest books is a challenge for some genres.

I try to be patient and wait for the library to get a copy. I do buy from Abe’s Books. A great deal sometimes $3 or even less. Takes 2weeks to get the book, used. I’m used to slow. Thanks for the link I’ll check it out.

Just read a review in Sundays SF paper about that book.
Living in Cal.and in the Monterey area,we have a lot of history about the Fremonts.
They were a very interesting couple.
Thanks
Frank

There are so many great books that have been mentioned. How will I ever find the time to read them or even some of them?

Even so, I have 4 more for people to consider:

- The Journals of Lewis and Clark edited by Bernard Devoto https://www.amazon.com/Journals-Bernard-American-Heritage-Library/dp/B005ZWDDHU Anything by Devoto is worth reading -- what a wild man of letters with a passion for conservation he was! Wallace Stegner wrote a biography of him.

- Idaho for the Curious by Cort Conley (part atlas, mostly a framework for interesting historical tidbits and histories of Idaho.)

- The Wolverine Way by Douglas H. Chadwick -- wolverines are way more kick-bu__ than you could ever have imagined.

- Bretz's Flood - about a rebel geologist that first described the Channeled Scablands of Washington and the numerous outbursts of glacial lake Missoula.

I am awaiting four books I just ordered from the great reading list suggested by everyone. Thanks!
Tony

Just finished a very good book, that any traveler or dog owner will love.
"Be More Dog" by Rene Agredano and Jim Nelson

It's a story about them taking their newly diagnosed dog with cancer and 3 legs on a year long road trip. so the dog can enjoy himself. But it is also about living in the moment as dogs do. Its well written and enjoyable. Available on Amazon as well as their website bemoredog.net

Enjoy

O.K. WTW bibliophiles... You got us on a physical book reading binge. This is what we are reading before taking our swing through the southwest in late February. thanks for all the suggestions!

Tony

Attachments

• 49452240798_5628470f41_c.jpg
    49452240798_5628470f41_c.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 96
Looks fun, there is nothing better than reading about the area one is in and a bonus is while enjoying beer!

Tony, add in Eating Stone by Elen Meloy. Finders Keepers/Stone Desert/House of Rain/The Secret Knowledge of Water, all by Craig Childs. In Search of the Old Ones, David Roberts.

Steve

larryqp said:
Just finished a very good book, that any traveler or dog owner will love.
"Be More Dog" by Rene Agredano and Jim Nelson

It's a story about them taking their newly diagnosed dog with cancer and 3 legs on a year long road trip. so the dog can enjoy himself. But it is also about living in the moment as dogs do. Its well written and enjoyable. Available on Amazon as well as their website bemoredog.net

Enjoy
In 07/08, I went through that/did that with my old Aust.Shep "Babe" -who some of you knew back then. She only lasted 7 months (6 of them great and worth every moment) after they cut her leg off, but it was allot better the first alternative! I don't know if I could read something like that now, but thanks I will put the web site down for further look someday. That seems like along time ago, but I just lost her successor after another long illness after almost 12 years and I now have a new "Deva" border collie to learn to, love. Having a dog pardner for however long it lasts, seems to be part of life's adventures!

Smoke

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Tony, add in Eating Stone by Elen Meloy. Finders Keepers/Stone Desert/House of Rain/The Secret Knowledge of Water, all by Craig Childs. In Search of the Old Ones, David Roberts.

Steve
Steve,
I ordered used copies of Elen, David and one of Craig's books.
Thanks for the recommendations!
Tony

AWG_Pics said:
There are so many great books that have been mentioned. How will I ever find the time to read them or even some of them?

Even so, I have 4 more for people to consider:

- The Journals of Lewis and Clark edited by Bernard Devoto https://www.amazon.com/Journals-Bernard-American-Heritage-Library/dp/B005ZWDDHU Anything by Devoto is worth reading -- what a wild man of letters with a passion for conservation he was! Wallace Stegner wrote a biography of him.

- Idaho for the Curious by Cort Conley (part atlas, mostly a framework for interesting historical tidbits and histories of Idaho.)

- The Wolverine Way by Douglas H. Chadwick -- wolverines are way more kick-bu__ than you could ever have imagined.

- Bretz's Flood - about a rebel geologist that first described the Channeled Scablands of Washington and the numerous outbursts of glacial lake Missoula.

I am awaiting four books I just ordered from the great reading list suggested by everyone. Thanks!
Tony
Just read The Wolverine Way - thanks for the recommendation. In the process of mapping out our Glacier NP trip for this fall and our plans include hiking a few of the trails used for tracking these incredible animals.

Back
Top Bottom