Favorite Books

I just finished reading Arctic Homestead, the true story of one family's survival and courage in the alaskan wilds. Not terribly well written but a pretty interesting story.

Also just finished Indianapolis, the true story of worst sea disaster in U.S. Naval History and the fifty year fight to exonerate an innocent man. Very good though the stories of the survivors in the water may be too much for some people. Fascinating how tragedy can bring out the very best in some and the very worst in others.

<snip>

Also just finished Indianapolis, the true story of worst sea disaster in U.S. Naval History and the fifty year fight to exonerate an innocent man. Very good though the stories of the survivors in the water may be too much for some people. Fascinating how tragedy can bring out the very best in some and the very worst in others.

I must read this. My cousin's - The Big Guy - uncle survived the Indianapolis sinking.

Here is a book recommendation along with a story.

On our drive north on 395 after visiting the Sequoia National Forest, we stopped for a lunch break at a rest stop along the highway. A husband and wife were also having lunch out of the back of their small SUV. They walked over, full of questions about our camper. During the fun conversation it was mentioned that the woman, Carol, had just written a book with her sister about growing up in the Owens Valley. The purpose of their trip down from Idaho was a talk about the book that evening in Rdgecrest, California.

We stopped further up 395 in Lee Vining and bought the book at the Mono Lake Committee Visitors Center -

Sage & Sierra: Growing Up In Owens Valley

It wasn't until purchasing the book that we discovered Carol and her sister are Mary DeDecker's daughters. Mary DeDecker should be a familiar name to travelers on the east side of the Sierra. She was a celebrated amateur botanist and archeologist.

Julie waded right in to the new book and finished it prior to the trip's end. Julie recommends the book and highly enjoyed it.

Somehow I missed this topic. But I will rectify that by making some recommendations.

Hard Road West: History and Geology along the Gold Rush Trail. By Keith Heyer Meldahl. Great book that explains the hardship of traveling the Oregon Trail and explains the geology along the trail.

And for fun reading while by the Madison River, read any book by Keith McCafferty. He has written a mystery series that combines fishing with a who-done-it theme. Read any book, they do not need to be read in order.

Just read the Curve Of Time by M.Wylie Blanchet. Blanchet was a widow in the late 1920s that took her 5 children on summer boating adventures along the coast of British Columbia. I couldn't help but admire this woman's courage and sense of adventure as she and her children dealt with weather,tides,fog,wildlife, and mechanical breakdowns. She was an early "Wanderer"!! Not the best written book but a fascinating account of the Blanchet familys' 15 summers of fantasy, discovery and wonder - not much different than what we are doing today, but without the benefit of guidebooks or internet forums.

Ronin said:
Just read the Curve Of Time by M.Wylie Blanchet. Blanchet was a widow in the late 1920s that took her 5 children on summer boating adventures along the coast of British Columbia. I couldn't help but admire this woman's courage and sense of adventure as she and her children dealt with weather,tides,fog,wildlife, and mechanical breakdowns. She was an early "Wanderer"!! Not the best written book but a fascinating account of the Blanchet familys' 15 summers of fantasy, discovery and wonder - not much different than what we are doing today, but without the benefit of guidebooks or internet forums.
A wonderful book, it gets a reread from me every couple of years.

ski3pin said:
I must read this. My cousin - The Big Guy's - uncle survived the Indianapolis sinking.
Interesting that the book is written by women. A bit unusual for a WWII story.

Just finished reading Past Tense, the new Jack Reacher novel. (I found it quite by accident in the Boston airport waiting for a flight home and finished just as we landed in Vancouver).
I enjoy the Jack Reacher novels, though I must say I now have to fight the mental images of mini Tom Cruise playing the 6'4" Reacher in the books.

Interesting thought there trikebubble :oops: !! Just picked up Nathaniel Philbrick' s (In the heart of the sea) latest book"In the Hurricanes Eye-The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown"! Now if only we get allot of snow so I can curl up in front of the fire place and really enjoy it!

Smoke

2trout said:
Bunches of great reads in this thread. Some I have read, most I have not. There were several books mentioned about the Colorado River and those who have run the Grand Canyon. The Doing of the Thing is about a man named Buzz Holstrom. Buzz was the first to run the Green and Colorado rivers solo.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1148835.The_Doing_of_the_Thing

trout
If you like reading about the early river runners, here is an excellent book on that topic.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The Very Hard Way - Bert Loper and The Colorado River, Brad Dimock
Fascinating read about the early times on the Colorado. It's nice to read about the area, and those folks who made a go of it. Wonderful sunset over Glen Canyon tonight.

A book I recently ran across is Gila: Life and Death of an American River by Gregory McNamee. It was written in 1994, but he revised and expanded it in 2012 so it is far from dated. It covers the entire drainage from New Mexico to its confluence with the Colorado. It covers prehistory, archeology, Native use of the river, and contemporary use. It inspired me explore parts of it near me (I live in Tucson) I hadn't visited before.

dr.tucson said:
A book I recently ran across is Gila: Life and Death of an American River by Gregory McNamee. It was written in 1994, but he revised and expanded it in 2012 so it is far from dated. It covers the entire drainage from New Mexico to its confluence with the Colorado. It covers prehistory, archeology, Native use of the river, and contemporary use. It inspired me explore parts of it near me (I live in Tucson) I hadn't visited before.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh my gosh! So many old favorites to revisit and new titles to explore here. I think we need a book club for Overland Expo, or maybe I'll open a bookstore tent. ;)

Here are a few favorites I didn't see listed (but might have missed)...

Next time you're exploring SE Utah, check out The Disappearances by Scott Thybony (and anything else by Thybony)

And for some light reading
The Colorado Mountain Companion: A Potpourri of Useful Miscellany from the Highest Parts of the Highest State by M. John Fahey

Sand in my Bra, edited by Jennifer Leo

I do not read many travel books cover-to-cover and instead just research the area I am traveling too. I just finished reading all of "Blue Highways - A Journey into America" by William Least Heat Moon and recommend it if you "came-of-age" in the late 70's or early 80's and traveled at that time. Obviously, Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" was also a book I read cover-to-cover previously. "Blue Highways" is more first hand writing and "Travels with Charley" is more a creation of Steinbeck.

iowahiker said:
I do not read many travel books cover-to-cover and instead just research the area I am traveling too. I just finished reading all of "Blue Highways - A Journey into America" by William Least Heat Moon and recommend it if you "came-of-age" in the late 70's or early 80's and traveled at that time. Obviously, Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" was also a book I read cover-to-cover previously. "Blue Highways" is more first hand writing and "Travels with Charley" is more a creation of Steinbeck.
John, if you like his writing, you might also enjoy River Horse. It’s about his journey by CDory boat across the US. They only trailerwher they couldn’t navigate. Great story, worlds best boat :)

Back
Top Bottom