Gold Lakes Basin

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We had nothing particularly planned last weekend and made a last minute decision to head up to Sierra Valley. I pried Susan away from her laptop where she was rehashing some issues from work. "Are you going to waste this beautiful fall day looking at your laptop?" Guess I probably should work on my negotiating tactics :p But with her good humor we were off in an hour and a half, packing light.

A quick run over Donner Summit then north on Hwy 89 brought us to our favorite valley: Sierra Valley. We enjoy the rustic hay barns scattered across the wide expanse of this undeveloped gem. With a large population of raptors and numerous other migrant birds, it's a birders' paradise.

Black-crowned night heron and great blue heron fishing together

Rough legged hawk

We brought our bikes along with a plan to ride Marble Hot Springs Road (aka Dyson Lane). There's a wonderful old iron bridge in the middle, dating from 1908. I got to try out my new bike pack that clamps to the seat post of my bike. I can put my DSLR with two lenses back there and ride moderate washboard.

We parked just off Heriot or Harriet Lane (Plumas Co and Sierra Co DO NOT AGREE on this :p )
It was next a sweet cattle ranch. I hoped the locals wouldn't mind. While we were off loading a local rancher came by herding his cow with his diesel flatbed. Yee haw! I did my best cowboy impression, scooting the cow away from Susan who was holding our dog by the collar. We met the gentleman later on the road and he was friendly.

Off we went riding along on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. There's almost no traffic and it's level riding, so the stress just melts away. I would stop and grab my camera when the scenery or wildlife presented opportunities.

Living in the same small town, you hear local legends from long time locals. I've been getting my hair cut by the same lady for twenty-five years (!) and she told me that there's an elk that hangs out with the cows in Sierra Valley. Yeah right :p I told SR this story as we drove down past Loyalton, heading down to Sierra Hot Springs for a soak after our ride.
We looked at the herds of cattle and no elk of course. I began to think I had been played for a Flat Lander ( a local's pejorative for newbies to the area ). Hmmph! Two minutes later my jaw dropped. Sure enough, there he was:

The legend of the Sierra Valley Elk lives on.

To be continued . . . (as in I better get my butt to work!)

Nice, Andy!
You continue to capture some amazing bird-in-flight photos -- quite a skill. :)

Andy, I always enjoy your excellent photography. When I was a kid, long ago, I used to go to a camp near Taylorsville. Anne and I went back there to visit this last summer. The town was the same as it was over 40 years ago! From Gennesse there is a dirt Forest Service road called Beckwourth Taylorsville road. We found some nice camp spots along this 30 mile road. Beautiful views as well. This is right in your area. Have you ever explored it?

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5523.jpg
    IMG_5523.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 126
Andy, I always enjoy your excellent photography. When I was a kid, long ago, I used to go to a camp near Taylorsville. Anne and I went back there to visit this last summer. The town was the same as it was over 40 years ago! From Gennesse there is a dirt Forest Service road called Beckwourth Taylorsville road. We found some nice camp spots along this 30 mile road. Beautiful views as well. This is right in your area. Have you ever explored it?

Hi Gene, No I've only traveled up that road as far as Lake Davis. Looks like a good road to explore.

Beckworth 1798-1866 was quite the guy it turns out.
Jim Beckworth

Beautiful photos! I was looking at them while in the middle of a teleconference with some "interesting" ivy league egos. I think your photos lowered my blood pressure to safe levels. Thanks!

Beautiful photos! I was looking at them while in the middle of a teleconference with some "interesting" ivy league egos. I think your photos lowered my blood pressure to safe levels. Thanks!

Come back to Earth, HighZ!
Glad to be of service.

More photos to come when I get home from work.

We spent the night near Packer Lake, just below the Sierra Buttes. We stayed at the Diablo CG, sharing it with one other couple in a vintage Suburban (complete with privacy curtains) pulling a moto trailer. We chose a well-drained spot along Packer Creek in the snowy, watery campground. It was late after hot tubbing so we didn't bother to register. :unsure:

The next morning we lounged about drinking coffee, enjoying our Wave heater. It was well after 8am and we heard a truck come up and stop, with engine running. "Who do you think that might be?", we asked each other. Soon enough I see the guy, with a FS looking jacket giving a friendly wave while standing about ten feet back from the camper. Poor guy! He doesn't know who's in there. But it's only us sheepish campers, who neglected to pay. He was friendly and took a check; made out some prop management company acronym. Privatization, eh?

We sat outside in a sun spot and watched a group of six college age kids show up in a F150 crew cab with bikes hanging off the tailgate. Honk, honk! They found their friends; our neighbors! It was a party, and the air had an herbal scent ;) . Everyone was sporty and joshing each other, while strapping on shin guards and other protective gear. They were shuttling the Downieville Descent, famously known as The Worlds Greatest Descent (Bike Magazine 1990's). A four thousand foot drop from Packer Saddle to Downieville is a mountain bikers extreme dream.

I rode those trails in younger years when they were almost deer trails and we didn't even have front shocks on our bikes. Then I got a Trek chrome-moly hardtail and pounded the heck out of those rides with early versions of Rock Shox and did some racing. I was lucky to ride with strong local riders from Nevada City who pioneered a lot of those routes. Now-a-days disk brakes, full body armor and younger bodies do things I would dream not of. I don't ride like that now that I'm in my mid-fifties and I've had a few injuries. :sneaky:

But it was fun to see the bikers and I thought we might take a run up to Packer Saddle 7100' and check out the view. Driving up the paved road we began to hit slushy sections with only a single lane partially cleared. The gradient is very steep; guessing >20%, so meeting someone going the other way could be a problem. I punched into 4WD Hi and the BFG's bit in nicely. We parked at the trailhead and checked out the mountain bikers getting ready to launch.

We still had on our sandals and hopped around on the snow taking in the view.

We took a quick side trip to visit Packer Lake Lodge, est. 1927

What a sweet spot. They have about twenty cabins, mostly rustic and the lodge with restaurant and a 'four bar stool bar'. Each cabin gets a row boat. The List to get a reservation is years long. We hear it's for sale. :(

Apparently the guests of the lodge are celebrating the season with gusto! This is the scene we drove up and found in front of the lodge.

We went up to Gold Lake and did a nice hike to Big Bear Lake. I wish we had our 'hiking sticks' aka ski poles, since the trail was packed snow in many places. But temps were warm and the snow was slushy, so our shoes got traction. I was amazed how much the snow had flattened some of the brush.

Big Bear Lake

On the trail

SR modeling her 'kitter-kat hat'

A quick gas up at Bassetts Station and we were on our way to Sierra City.

One more (short) episode to be continued . . .

Last Chapter

Dropping down from Gold Lakes to Sierra City we left the snow behind. We saw more color on the maples and oaks than on the aspens at higher elevations. It's a beautiful drive along the North Yuba River.

We missed Octoberfest which Sierra City had celebrated the day before, but there was still some decoration in town. It's the shoulder season up there. The summer camping and fishing crowd has gone, most of the bikers have too. In the winter it's a mecca for snow mobilers who stage at Yuba Pass or Bassets. Otherwise there's not much going on.

The Busch Building 1871 was used as a Wells Fargo building in the 19th C.

We followed Hwy 49 down canyon visiting Downieville on our way back home.

It's the county seat and has a bit more economic muscle. I spotted a new taqueria in the historic row overlooking the Downie River, so that was a mandatory stop. We only had peanut butter on crackers and dried fruit for our lunch food and I was ready for some mexican food :D
I had a chicken taco plate and SR got her favorite drink, an horchata. I recommend Cocina del Oro. Other than the pizza joint, no other restaurant seems to hold on in these parts, so hurry if you want to try it. The staff is very nice. They even made me admit I was over 21 :LOL:

We sat on the deck enjoying the warm fall afternoon. We were only fifty miles from home and the drive back was an easy re-entry, arriving before dark. A nice weekender with only one night out can be very rewarding without a lot of gas or prep.

Lighthawk & SR, looks like a very nice getaway weekend for you two. Thanks for the trip report! Great photos as always and the hawk in flight and mountain town photos we especially enjoyed!

I can't believe I've never been there. Its not that far for me. If winter keeps holding off I may rectify that.

I can't believe I've never been there. Its not that far for me. If winter keeps holding off I may rectify that.

Yes, go for it, Craig. It's only 40 mins north of Truckee on a beautiful drive. There's several USFS campgrounds along the Little Truckee before you get to Sierra Valley. Los Dos Hermanos is a decent mex restaurant in Sierraville. Sierra HS is just south of Sierraville, past the airport, and is clothing optional :eek:

Take a tour north along the west side of the valley (A23?) turn right at Dyson/Marble Hot Springs Rd. and s.l.o.w. down and check out the birds. We often park and walk, since driving just doesn't do justice. Then head south on Herriot, to return back to Loyalton. Lot's of Red-tailed Hawks, Northern Harriers to be seen. Another good mini-loop is to Antelope Valley, just south of Loyalton/Hwy 49, where USFS has wildlife reserve. You can also tour Lemon Cyn. from Sierraville back to Hwy 80 via Stampede Res.

Winter can be a fine time to see the Sandhill Cranes. Hint: look for the four-foot tall birds seen in the tules. When they fly, I mistake them for geese. :) Last year we watched as a Harrier repeated dove on two Sandhills on the ground. Pretty amazing to watch big birds like these battling each other.

I always go on the west side when I'm crossing the valley heading to Antelope Lake. Next time is definitely the east side. Sierraville has a surpising number of places to eat. Guess its all those motorcyclists crusing 89.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom