Solar Panel Install Example 2012

Yukon

Thank you to all of the many people who posted Solar articles on this site. You helped me a lot in doing my project for my 2008 Eagle! In spirit of sharing, here’s my implementation in 2012. The panel is mounted under the camper bed (outside of course). I didn’t want to have to lift the weight on roof and also this allows me to easily remove it when not on a trip.

I can slide the panel out and leave it in bracket with a PVC post holding it up. There is a pad lock that locks it both in the full out position and the storage in position. The PVC pipe screws together allowing me to use half of it as a stand post (if I take the panel completely out and use it on the ground). The cable plugs into the side of the camper using marine jack and wiring goes into the long storage compartment very close to the battery. The PVC pipe has an end cap on it with an eye hook screwed into the cap which ‘hooks’ to end of panel.

I have about 15 foot of free cable allowing me to put panel anywhere I wish if not in the bracket.

I used stranded 10 AGW wire (I didn’t buy expensive Solar cables). Power goes from panel, through wire to jack on side of truck, to switch, to fuse, to controller, to battery. Simple. It puts out about 5 amps in direct sun.

If I were to do this again I would spend the bucks to add aluminum welding gear to my Lincoln welder and weld the bracket together instead of bolting it. You cannot remove bolts though while the panel is locked into storage.

[For those of you living in Northwest, maybe I will see you at the Overland Rally in Leavenworth, WA at the end of the month? ]

Cheers,

Chris (aka Yukon)

Parts Info (Prices approx.)

Solartech 85 Watt Panel (Wind & Sun, AZ) $240
Morning Star Sunsaver 6 amp (12V) controller (Wind & Sun) $39.00

Cable socket (West Marine) ($15)
10 amp fuse & holder (Home Depot) ($3)
20 amp toggle switch (Home Depot) ($2)
10 AWG stranded wire (Home Depot) $ 0.50/ft
Cable protection sheathing (West Marine) $10
¾ inch PVC Pipe & fittings
¼ inch bolts & locknuts, stainless (Lowes)
Aluminum 1.5 Inch L bracketing (Home Depot ) $40
Aluminum 1.0” L bracket (end piece) $10
Aluminum 2.0” 1/8 thick cross piece $10

Attachments

• Full Out3.jpg
    Full Out3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 501
  • controller3.jpg
    controller3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 485
  • frame3.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Ground mount3.jpg
    Ground mount3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 396
  • half Out3.jpg
    half Out3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 402
  • install closeup3.jpg
    install closeup3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 415
  • Lock3.jpg
    Lock3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 386
  • panel brkt3.jpg
    panel brkt3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 400
  • socket3.jpg
    socket3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 377
Nice looking setup. Please give us some updates on how it works.
As always it is amazing all of the great ideas on this forum.

Nice job Chris. I had thought of mounting one under the over hang,after viewing Les"lq hikers"and the mount he developed. His came out the front. I like the side slid out better. Who knows might reconsider a 2nd panel and use your method.Please post how well it works.Thanks
Frank

I curious what this does to wind noise.

Don. I have not done any lengthy trip yet. Drove briefly on freeway yesterday and didn't hear anything at all (windows closed). Chris

Don. I have not done any lengthy trip yet. Drove briefly on freeway yesterday and didn't hear anything at all (windows closed). Chris

Since I have the typical old guy can not hear high frequencies problem, I probably would only notice the dogs howling as I drove by. :D

Mike

Reading this inspires/reminds me to get off my lazy ass and get done a similar project on my camper.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom