WHAT IS A FAIR PRICE FOR USED FWC ?

ACEBLACKDOG

Advanced Member
Asking prices seem to have gone through the roof for a used FWC. I do not mind paying a fair price but right now they do not seem fair. That being said, if I was selling I would want to sell for as much as possible. Anyone have any thoughts ?

Supply and Demand is alive and well.

If you have been looking you know how fast they sell. The new ones are expensive and you have to wait to have it built. When I was looking anything under $8,000 was sold before I got to look at it. I had planed to buy new if I could not find one under $8,000 I did get lucky and found a cheap one. In today market I could sell mine for double what I paid but will keep it.

They have always had a very high used resale value. If you're thinking comparing them to other types of used campers or NADA values as "fair" then your compass isn't calibrated for what these campers command in terms of pricing. Whether you think that is fair or not is irrelevant as that is the market established value and its not a new thing for these campers. The only "cheap" versions are the ones that don't fit modern trucks w/o modification.

I'd ask yourself...

1)How bad do you want it?
2) How long do you want to wait? There are good deals if have time.
3) Do you want a project?
4) What am I willing to spend?
5) Do I pay cash or am I needing a loan?

NADA values are no where close to real and banks have no clue about these campers as I found out. I ended up just paying for mine because the bank would only loan up to the "used" value which was no where close to the price.

I think I paid a little more than I should have considering I had to go get it and I bought it (paid for it) sight unseen. However, I also believe that I got one that was a 9 out of 10 as far as condition goes, it wasn't a project, and it had the minimum options I was looking for. These campers are a "specialty" niche type product and one will always pay more for a product that is limited in suppy and that caters to a small group of users.

Asking what is a fair price for a camper is liking asking what is my house worth. Depends. How old? What model? How is it equipped? A 2002 Hawk could be anywhere from $3000 to $10,000 depending on whether it is a beat up shell or a pristine camper with all options. Look back through the alert thread and you can put together a rough value to age scale.

Thank you for all your well thought out replies !

As stated ... "it is supply and demand" ...which I am well aware of.

Maybe it is my frustration of needing to purchase immediately without adequate investigation and questions. (back to supply and demand). Traveling somewhere and hoping I find what I paid for.

I will give the FWC niche community KUDOS for in the vast majority of "for sale" campers they do their best to be honest with their description of their campers.

I will continue to monitor this discussions...I bet I am not the only one with these concerns.

One tip is, be ready to buy immediately. If you think about it, it will be sold. I found ours at a camper dealer that had taken it in on trade. They posted a Craigslist ad on Easter Sunday, which I knew they were not open that day. I called 9am sharp Monday morning and got them walking in the door. Made the deal over the phone and drove 2 hours to get it. By the time I got there (11:30) they already had another buyer from out of state ready to drive down. They honored the deal I made and we drove home with it.

Happy hunting!

Hi Ace,
Over the years All my RV's, campers, trailers, boats have been used. Before I bought my new 2012 Eagle shell I looked for a used one for over 3 years. Finally giving up I bought new figuring if I took care of it, I too could sell it for maybe 50-60% of the price of a new one. FWC raises their prices about 11% per year. I figure in 10 years I will just about recover my investment.

Jim

Thanks for this thread, I will keep following it!

We are ready to sell our 1999 Eagle, but are struggling to figure out what a fair price would be. Also trying to decide if we should sell with the truck as a package. Now that we have kids this combo just doesn't have enough room for all of us and car seats.

As soon as we figure out what it's worth we will list it here first!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
My advice is to split them up as most folks own a truck. Your Eagle will fit the '95 -2004 Toy Tacoma, Chev Colorado, Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier, and I believe the 2006-2013 2nd gen Tacoma (with small modifications). Phone or email stan@fourwh.com and ask him for advice on selling price.

Sell the truck separate after you sell the camper as there are more folks looking for empty trucks than trucks with campers.

You might also start a new topic and ask the readers for advice on pricing it for sale. When you list it, put it up on WTW in the gear section with pictures, and stated condition. Review the other ads to get an idea on what to say. If you don't get any activity in a week or so, put it on Craigt's list.

FWCamper is one of just a few companies that build lightweight campers for back country travel which is one reason (other is quality) the resale is excellent. Even in our bad economy delivery time is still 6 weeks in winter and up to 3 months in the summer.
-Jim

Thanks, Jim! Great advice. I will email Stan for further advice and hopefully post the camper (sans truck) in the gear section this weekend.

Taking a look at asking prices for campers listed on craigslist over the last couple of years and posted here on WTW:

2009 FWC Eagle Shell $7999 South Lake Tahoe, CA

2007 FWC Eagle shell $6500 Las Vegas, NV

2012 FWC Eagle $15,000 San Luis Obispo, CA

2009 FWC Eagle $13,000 Central, AZ

2009 FWC Eagle $13,000 South Lake Tahoe, CA

2009 FWC Eagle shell $6500

2009 FWC Eagle $11,000 Reno, NV

2009 FWC Eagle Shell $7000 Dayton, NV

Eagle Shell $4000 Pleasanton, CA

2001 Ranger $6000 Denver, CO

2003 Eagle in Boise Idaho, $11,000.

2009 FWC Eagle. $9,500.00

Ranger II $3100 Fallon, NV

1999 Eagle $5600 Vallejo, CA

Newer Eagle model $9250.

2001 Falcon in Sacramento. $2,400

2004 Eagle $8900 on Seattle craigslist.

1992 Ranger, $4,000 in Monterey, CA

1998 Eagle $4000 Roseburg, OR

2001 Eagle $6900 Reno, NV

Eagle - 1999 - $6495 - Fairfield / Vacaville

Four Wheel Pop Up Truck Camper, 1992 Eagle - $4300 (las vegas)

2004 Eagle $5700 Oak Harbor WA

2003 Eagle - $7999 (Rancho Bernardo)

Four Wheel (Eagle) Pop Up Camper - $5000 (sunnyvale)

Eagle - 2003 - $7500 - ( Huntington Beach)

[SIZE=7pt]Ranger - 2001 - $5900 (Boulder)[/SIZE]

2002 Eagle $4250 Medford, OR

Four wheel Eagle model 2006 denver craigslist 10,500

1998 Eagle $5000 Cathlamet, WA

Eagle - 2000 (?) - $4000 – Alameda

2004 Eagle $8500 Sacramento, CA

1999/2000 Ranger $5500 Russian River, CA

1995 Ranger II? $3995 Tempe, AZ

2002 Eagle $6000 Forest Grove, OR

2002 Eagle $7500 Campbell, CA

2001 Eagle $6000 Bakersfield, CA

1992 Ranger II $2900 Los Osos, CA

2001 Eagle $6500 Bakersfield, CA

Wow, couldn't resist putting all of that research from the last post into a chart. That was so helpful! This is just the Eagles (but not shell) and excludes those in the list that did not have a year. I think we're almost there...

Attachments

• EaglePricebyYear.jpg
    EaglePricebyYear.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 506
highz said:
That's great Lisa. I thought of doing the exact same thing, but you beat me to it.

X2. I was already opening Excel when I scrolled down past the end of Ski3pins's list and saw that. LOL

It really is a good tool.

I live in Nor. Cal and I picked up a clean FWC 1990 Grandby last month
with a Fridge, heater, sink, and it is clean but I did have to pay $1,800.00. I felt it was a fair price but I don't know.

Whats everyone think? Fair or not price to pay

Back
Top Bottom