Fastec Industrial door lock safety recall

Bosque Bill

I suspect many FWC owners of campers made in the last 5 years will have gotten the recall notice. Mine came today. Fortunately, my lock was not one that was affected. Though I generally only use the household style deadbolt that FWC supplies, not the lock integrated into the door handle, which is not as robust.

I you don't get the letter and want to check your door lock follow the link below.

[SIZE=10pt]Fastec Industrial Corp., a division of WESCO Distribution, Inc., has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in the deadbolt cylinders of certain travel trailer locks manufactured and sold under the FIC brand name between January 1, 2006 and April 30, 2013. Only FIC locks that have an integrated deadbolt are affected by this recall. [/SIZE]

http://www.fastecindustrial.com/recall/default.html

Bosque Bill said:
Though I generally only use the household style deadbolt that FWC supplies, not the lock integrated into the door handle, which is not as robust.
Best advice I received when I picked my camper was to NEVER use that thing to lock the camper from the outside.

I did once and Chris was right....thought I'd never get back inside. Threw the keys away and I ONLY use the household style deadbolt for an exterior lock.

The guy I bought mine from also stated it wasn't worth the effort and the deadbolt was the way to go. I tried the small lock once. Seems the deadbolt was far superior and I never looked back.

Got the notice, we're not included in the recall. We regularly used both deadbolts, why not. Fortunately neither has ever malfunctioned although the optional deadbolt is a little tight. Maybe the strike plate needs adjusted or filed. Anyway, I wonder why it took so long for Fastec to issue a recall. A non issue for me I suppose, but if we were included I would certainly do the exchange.

I'll go look at mine even though I use the dead bolt exclusively. Getting locked out sucks but expecting good security on our campers isn't realistic. A crowbar or even a big screwdriver is going to let someone right in.

Back
Top Bottom