From an Icebox to an Isotherm Cruise 85 Refrig

Bwht4x4

When I ordered my camper in November 2013 I decided to go with an icebox and even though it worked surprisingly well I saw the need on a recent trip to DVNP with a 1.5 year daughter (i.e. the Milk Hound) and our second due in September the need for an efficient refrigerator. So I did a ton of research on all the major brands: Dometic, Isotherm, TruckFridge, Norcold, Engle, etc. I called manufacturers to get more info on specific questions I had. Based on what I read and from folks I spoke with I decided on the Isotherm Cruise 80 to install in the camper. BTW, the TruckFridge brand refrig are re-branded Isotherm units.

http://www.indelwebastomarineusa.com/Products/us/html/8140.html

Isotherm's technical assistance was awesome to deal with when I gave them a call. I ordered the unit from West Marine, which had free shipping and ended up being the same price as the low priced places like Defender Marine, which estimated shipping at $250! I chose the 80 liter unit because the dimensions would allow me to install the unit and still keep most of the area above the refrig as storage space as it came from FWC.

One of the main issues I had to figure out was venting the unit. I was able to vent it into the camper, but would loose all of the storage in the space above the refrig. So I decided on venting it to the exterior. I then tried to build up the courage to cut the hole myself in the fiberglass siding and even bought a Norcold vent to do this. In the end I opted to have FWC do the vent install and drove up there last week to have it done. In the end I am so glad I did that and not attempted it myself. The vent they used was different then my vent (smaller) and the spot where the vent was installed required the removal of one of the aluminum cross members that form the various venting options in that area of the camper. It took them a bit to figure it out, but they had the luxury of having a schematic of the area of that wall during the build of my camper.

2014-05-11+10.14.55.jpg

So back at home today I completed the install of the refrig. I started off by sealing all the seams on the refrig with duct sealing mastic tape and beefed up the protection of the wiring by putting it in a loom so the sharp ends of the cooling fins didn't wear a hole in the insulation. And, yes, that is about 4 inches of foam insulation on the lower back of the refrig. It was going to be a large air space and figured I could get rid of some old insulation I have around the house.

2014-05-11+17.02.47.jpg

I then sealed the edges of the vent opening that FWC cut with the same stuff to ensure any water that may leak past the vent doesn't end up in the wall of the camper.

2014-05-11+11.06.43.jpg

After that I insulated the opening with as much reflective bubble and foam insulation as I could pack into the area and still fit the refrig in. This picture doesn't show all the insulation that went into the space. The top and bottom of the refrig also got a layer of insulation.

2014-05-11+10.15.34.jpg

I then installed a refrig exhaust vent fan to increase efficiency on those especially hot days. I had FWC install the switch for the fan when I was up there so I could do the fan install at home. The fan I used was a 140 mm computer cooling fan and from what I can tell so far it is inaudible when running due to the amount of foam I have around the refrig. The refrig also has a fan, so I installed the second fan to push air out of the space while the refrig's fan pulls air in. My thought was a loop of air flowing through the space and then back out.

http://www.mynewfan.com/140mm-25mm-new-case-fan-12v-dc-74-6cfm-cpu-computer-cooling-2wire-ball-bg-345a/

2014-05-11+13.02.55.jpg

So far I'm happy with the final look of it installed. I did a test of the unit running off the solar panel and the camper's batteries for a few days before I installed it. Over the course of 24 hours it was using approximately 1.6-1.7 amps/hour and my 160 watt solar panel had no problem keeping up with the refrig and charging the batteries back to full from the refrig running the night before. I think with the insulation I have around the refrig I should be able to get it to about 1.4-1.5 amps/hour.

IMG_9767.JPG

Thanks Bill and also thanks for answering my questions recently on your refrig install.

Just the thought of being able to run it non-stop for free and not use propane is awesome! I've got a week long bachelor party trip at the end of May to test it out.

Bwht4x4,

That is an amazing job. Nice work!
I appreciated the time and effort you put into posting those pictures and detail.
I've been really tempted to take out my 3 way fridge and go to the 110 liter fridge. It appears to have way more room than my current 3.0 cubic 3 way.
For whatever reason, my 3 way fridge really struggled on our first trip south to Las Vegas. Even with highs only in the low 80's, I could not keep the ice cream frozen which was really frustrating. Melted 2 sets of food that we bought!
It performed better the next 2 trips but I was sure to precool the unit overnight, run it on the highest setting and run the fan nonstop. Although the highest temperature it got up to was only 65 degrees - so you would think it should perform perfect then.
I'm not sure if I just had a dud or if this is common with this fridge - it's only 1 year old.
I'm anxious to see how you like your fridge.
Is there a reason you picked the isotherm over the Waeco brand?

DrJ,

I chose the Isotherm over all of the other makes and models for a variety of reasons. During my research I originally settled on the TruckFridge since it had a lot of great reviews and happy customers, but it didn't come in an 80 liter version. I then found out that they were re-branded Isotherm models. Here's a few links to check out.

New Fridge Installation - Sportsmobile Forum

Retrofitting a Isotherm refrigerator - Sportsmobile Forum

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/6648-truckfridge-installed/?hl=exhaust#entry73804

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/5180-installation-of-isotherm-cruise-130-refrigerator/

The main factor for me were the dimensions. From what I can remember the Dometic/Waeco 80 liter refrigs were quite a bit wider then the Isotherm and due to the construction of the cabinet in the camper you are more constrained by width then height at least when considering an 80 liter. The Waeco/Dometic unit would have required more work and I was unsure how I'd finish the outside because the stock flange that comes with the refrig wouldn't work due to the width. Plus the Waeco/Dometic models had a very large freezer compared to the Isotherm and I wanted more refrig space than freezer space. As far as efficiency I imagine they are nearly identical though.

Getting replacement parts was a concern too, but it'll be really easy at this website.

http://www.isotherm-parts.com/

You should check out Isotherm's new Elegance models to see if they will work for you. They have more insulation and can be mounted to the cabinet from the inside of the refrig..

http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-...refrigeration-solutions/cruise-refrigerators/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0A0gbEFtEHBGHchrD5Ax0w

One thing to consider though. Unless you have a solar panel, drive the truck daily or plug into shore power daily, a 2-way probably isn't a good choice. I have a dual AGM battery setup and the refrig would probably drain my battery below 12 volts in 2 to 3 days.. I have a 160 watt panel, but a much smaller panel would run the refrig, but take into account the need to charge the battery also while the refrig is running.

Hope this helps.

Craig,

The second fan I installed is switched and will run all the time if turned on. However, the power consumption from the fan is less than 0.2 amps and barely shows up on my Trimetric unit. With the output of my 160 watt panel I would have no problem leaving it run all day long while I was gone and then turn it off at night when I got back to camp.

I do have dual AGM batteries and 220 watts of solar. I am assuming that would be plenty. How many amp hours does your meter say that you are using a day?

Bwht4x4 said:
Craig,

The second fan I installed is switched and will run all the time if turned on. However, the power consumption from the fan is less than 0.2 amps and barely shows up on my Trimetric unit. With the output of my 160 watt panel I would have no problem leaving it run all day long while I was gone and then turn it off at night when I got back to camp.
I wired my second fan to the fridge so it only runs when the fridge runs. My switch is to turn is off if I found I might not need it. The way it is working I could have just left the switch out as it looks like I will not be turning it off.

Bill

Dual AGM batteries and 220 watts of solar is more then enough to run everything you have and the camper next to you. My 160 watt panel is probably overkill too, but I like having the extra amps just in case I need them.

I'm not exactly sure what my total amp use is per day since the Trimetric monitor doesn't do a cumulative total unless you specifically set it up to do so. I did set my up for a couple of days to do this but I'm not remembering what the number was. I think it's in another post here on WTW. However, from the amps/day worksheet I found here at WTW I estimate my usage to be somewhere between 35 and 55 amps/day. I know it's a large range, but it all depends if I'm camping with the family in the summer or on a hunting trip in November where it's cold. But, from what I can tell the 160 watt panel should be enough and the dual AGM's should limp me through a night of very little charging during the day.

Today I had the refrig and the second fan (nothing else on though) running all day and the panel fully charged both batteries in about 3-4 hours.

DrJ said:
I do have dual AGM batteries and 220 watts of solar. I am assuming that would be plenty. How many amp hours does your meter say that you are using a day?
Dr. J- Your system looks great for a compressor fridge. Dump the three-way and eat ice cream! It's vacation!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to try another warm weather camping trip in the Hawk and see how the 3 way fridge holds up. If it can't cut it, I'll be ready for the change. Luckily for me several people have already posted how to make the change. I really appreciate when people take the time to take pictures and outline their work. It really helps me out.

I installed the fan today. I used the provided link, they ship fast. It is quiet. I just zip tied it in for now until I decide its permanent home.

DrJ- As you've probably gathered on the forum, if you already have a three-way fridge, switching to a compressor fridge is typically much simpler than the icebox-to-fridge project on this thread. You can get a compressor fridge with the same rough-in dimensions as your three-way, and you already have the vents in place on the outside. Cap off the gas line, connect the wires, and you're done.

I'm sure many will agree, but I can't imaging a more perfect setup than a 2-way compressor refrig and a solar panel. With this setup I'm not sure I see a single benefit to running a 3-way refrig any more. There's absolutely nothing to do with a 2-way and solar combination. Well actually there is...you still have to open it to grab your beer!

Bwht4x4 said:
I'm sure many will agree, but I can't imaging a more perfect setup than a 2-way compressor refrig and a solar panel. With this setup I'm not sure I see a single benefit to running a 3-way refrig any more. There's absolutely nothing to do with a 2-way and solar combination. Well actually there is...you still have to open it to grab your beer!
And your beer will be just right! Not frozen and not warm. Love the DC fridge.

FYI - I had some concerns that my compressor maybe running hot due to poor ventilation. I only assumed it was running hot by putting my had on top of the compressor. So today I called Isotherm and talked with the same very help fellow from before. He said the compressors will run at about 140 to 150 degrees F when actually running and the compartment the refrig is mounted in needs to be vented well enough to prevent the space from getting over 110 degrees. I guess running it in Las Vegas on a 115 degree day is not a good idea!

To see where I was, I put my freezer thermometer sensor in the refig vent space and the display out of the space (the display reads the room temp). Outside of the refrig vent space it's 93 degrees and currently in the refrig space with the compressor and refrig fan running it's showing 98 degrees (my secondary vent fan is running too). Seems like a 5 degree difference between the outside ambient temp and the temp in the refrig vent space is pretty good. Especially in light of the fact that the compressor is running close to 140 degrees in the small space.

Glad to see it all running per their specs!

QUICK EDIT - Checked it again, but this time pulled the display farther away from the refrig vent space. Now it's showing 89 degrees outside of the vent space and 98 degrees in the refrig space. Still not bad considering the 140 degree compressor heat.

Hello all, just wanted to share what I did to my Waeco 80L. I contacted Bill Harr regarding his 2nd fan install and received very helpful information on his installation. I then embarked on my small modification of installing the fan. As I already had a vent in place that was created by FWC, all I had to do was to connect the 2nd fan up and secure it. I couldn't access the fan wiring from the vent opening on the outside, so I had to remove the Waeco. I turns out that It was pretty simple, just removed the screws on the facia and the Waeco could slide out after I disconnected the electrical. I pulled the Waeco out and transferred it to a couple of plastic storage bins. Here is a photo of the Waeco removed. I also took the opportunity of wrap the Waeco with Reflectex.

DSCF2666.jpg

The fan install when well and now I have the heat venting outside whenever the Waeco is running. The 2nd fan is wired to run the sametime the Waeco fan is running. Works great. Thanks Bill!

Back
Top Bottom