Heater Options...Propex etc.

Hodakaguy

Anyone running a Propex heater in their camper? I'm using one in my VW Westy and was curious to how they compare with the units FWC offers.

Anyone have experience with the two units?

Thanks

Hodakaguy

I've seen some info on this site about two years ago, then I asked about them 6 months ago when I was at the FWC factory and they appear to be a forgotten issue. My take on it was that the atwood furnace that FWC is using in the last couple of years has such a low amp draw that trying to make the change to the propex units was not worth it. Thats just my feeling after researching the heaters and searching for info.
My 2 cents, some solid info would be nice …….anybody ???

This is the mfg label in my 2014 Hawk.
Paul

FWC-Hawk-Furnace-1024.jpg

Thanks guys. Amp draw looks pretty good with that unit, real similar to the propex option and probably more practical with the intake/exhaust locations on the Propex unit.

Hodakaguy

FWIW - I've got a Propex HS2800 in my new boat. Draw is 2.0 amps which looks to be a little more than the newer heaters. I've only used it once so far and it seems to work well.

FWIW - I've got a Propex HS2800 in my new boat. Draw is 2.0 amps which looks to be a little more than the newer heaters. I've only used it once so far and it seems to work well.

That's the same unit I'm running now (2800), have quite a bit of time on it so far with no problems :)

Thanks PaulT, at 1.8 amps it's almost 1/2 the draw of their older factory installed units.
That's what I like about FWC, they are constantly improving their product.

I've thought about installing the HS2211 Propex outside, between the camper and truck bed wall. The documentation says 1.7 amps. If it would fit (18" x 9" x 5"), it would be a good use of space, and eliminate any venting concerns. Hook up the propane as needed (as I do my catalytic heater), and bring the heater hose through one of the turnbuckle doors.

I've got a HS2000 and it works fine. I would have used an Atwood 8012 but didn't have space for it and preferred the exhaust setup of the Propex (I didn't want to cut a hole in the aluminum side, nor did I have a place to do so).

As you've seen, the new furnaces also draw very little and you get more BTUs.

FYI Rob in MT: the HS2000 is smaller than the HS2211 even though they're the same BTUs (at least I think they're the same). So if you built your own protective case you might save an inch or two. Having it in the bed of the truck, you might not need as much protection as they put on the 2211, which people supposedly put under their vehicles.

Rob,
I like the idea of mounting a propane heater externally:) Think it would not only save space but maybe be a little quieter????
I do not have a camper yet and am thinking about a shell so I can customize. I don't want to sound stupid (not that this would be the 1st time:) but what turnbuckle door are you referring too? I love the great ideas everyone comes up with on this site!

Happyjax said:
Rob,
I like the idea of mounting a propane heater externally:) Think it would not only save space but maybe be a little quieter????
I do not have a camper yet and am thinking about a shell so I can customize. I don't want to sound stupid (not that this would be the 1st time:) but what turnbuckle door are you referring too? I love the great ideas everyone comes up with on this site!
Turnbuckle door with the door off during my build. They are to access the turnbuckles when you put the camper on and off.
gallery_1903_712_17899.jpg

Other side with doors on. I have extension cord through the front one.
gallery_1903_712_33019.jpg

Oh what a great idea. Not having had a camper I did not see the usefulness of those doors. Now I get it :)

Back
Top Bottom