1/2 T or 3/4 T?

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
If money were no object and you were to build your dream overland full size pickup camper would you start with a halfer or bigger?

The HD pickups are definitely huskier with bigger drive components. But they are also 1000# heavier. Do you think it would be worth the extra weight?

I wanted a small block gasser and heard they are dogs in the F250 with the 5 speeds so I went with the F150 with 6 speed. My ultimate camper will be the FWC Hawk and well within the weight limits of my halfer.

I have reached an expensive point in building my F150. I want another 2" of lift, Yukon 411 gears with an Eaton E Locker in the rear. About $5000.

I guess I am just looking for reassurance my F150 will do the job. A new F250 or especially a Dodge 2500 Power Wagon are just completely out of my reach.

Thanks for listening.

If money wasn't a consideration, I would live on a private island some 7 to 10 degrees south of the Tropic of Capricorn, preferably in the Eastern Pacific, and whenever I wanted to camp away from my villa, a team of Amazons would transport and setup my camp - but that's just me.

In keeping with your hypothesis, if I had unlimited funds to build only 1 overland, full size vehicle, it would probably look a lot like a Sports Mobile. Keeping this a little closer to reality, just because a new F250 or Power wagon is out of your reach doesn't mean that a used one is too. If Money were no object, I wouldn't spend a lot on a 1/2 ton.

If money was a consideration, I could be happy with a 1/2 ton, 1/4 ton, or even a VW Rabbit with the rear seat removed.

Silvertip47, Most of the people posting herein favor 3/4 ton trucks. However, some seem more interested in trucks than camping, or saving money. Some use their trucks for towing trailers or other heavy work in addition to truck camping. For your half ton, you could buy a tow strap so people can pull you out, and get a set of tire chains for all four wheels. That will probably take you about anywhere you want to go camping.

I am going to try a used F150 under my Keystone for the coming summer and I will let the forum know how it works out. My intention is to sell this truck when I get back (if I get back) and order a new truck. Therefore, if anyone wants a F150 with a long bed fully rigged out for a FWC keep me in mind. By Fall, I ought to be able to tell you a lot about F150s. John D

If money wasn't a consideration, I would live on a private island some 7 to 10 degrees south of the Tropic of Capricorn, preferably in the Eastern Pacific, and whenever I wanted to camp away from my villa, a team of Amazons would transport and setup my camp - but that's just me.

In keeping with your hypothesis, if I had unlimited funds to build only 1 overland, full size vehicle, it would probably look a lot like a Sports Mobile. Keeping this a little closer to reality, just because a new F250 or Power wagon is out of your reach doesn't mean that a used one is too. If Money were no object, I wouldn't spend a lot on a 1/2 ton.

If money was a consideration, I could be happy with a 1/2 ton, 1/4 ton, or even a VW Rabbit with the rear seat removed.

We'll always have Paris.

If that 1/2 ton Ford F-150 you are buying does not have a rear suspension upgrade yet, you might want to highly consider it.

Air Bags on the rear suspension and a good set of E rated truck tires will make a world of difference when carrying a bigger camper on a 1/2 ton truck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to try a used F150 under my Keystone for the coming summer and I will let the forum know how it works out.

If that 1/2 ton Ford F-150 you are buying does not have a rear suspension upgrade yet, you might want to highly consider it.

Air Bags on the rear suspension and a good set of E rated truck tires will make a world of difference when carrying a bigger camper on a 1/2 ton truck.

.I have a 2008 chevy 1500 with C rated tires and air bags and haven't had any trouble with my Camper. I live in S
Southern Utah and have been to some remote places. Don

Get a 3/4 ton and be done with it. They may weigh more, but the mileage is not much worse and if you get a diesel you'll likely do better than the 1/2 ton gasser. A 1/2 ton with all those airbags, springs etc, do not solve the small brakes 1/2 ton trucks have. I once rented a 1/2 ton Chevy in Alaska with a relatively light cabover camper. It was frightening to come to a stop! I am sure your 1/2 ton will go through brake pads and shoes like crazy. And then the chassis is weaker, the axles weaker, on and on. Oh yeah, and I can't remember how many poorly working airbags I have seen in the back country. 1/2 ton and a camper (even a FWC or ATC) makes for a dangerous combination. How much is your life worth?

I've decided to stay with my F150. Looking at the amount of folks with overland campers on Rangers and Toyota's I feel my F150 will do just fine. The 2010 brakes have been improved by 6%. I also tow an 18' travel trailer with a 16'boat behind that!!! 8000# trailers and she stops on a dime.

I have all ready added a rear leaf, airbags, lift and E rated Toyos for my present camper.

Stan, just get ready to build me my new Hawk!!!!! :D

That extra leaf made a huge difference on my Dodge 1/2 ton with Hawk.

If you get the trailer towing package on the 1/2 ton and suspension package it carries the weight of the camper with ease. My chevy has suspension, big brakes and I tow a trailer with two big four wheelers and never had a problem.

Wow, seems that opinions are all over the map on this one, so I'll throw mine in there too.

I personally have the truck that I think is perfect for a custom build. It's a Nissan Titan. This is essentially a half ton truck. If you get one with the off road package the axles, wheels and shocks are really well set up right off the factory floor.

Also, the Titan is a nice rig. you would be hard pressed to find a nicer ride that is off road capable.
It has a V8 engine with 305 horse and grate low end gearing with 4h and 4L. The payload is its weakness and depending on options is maxed out at 1500lbs. However, if you are going custom on the camper then there is plenty of room.

Personally I am currently working on plans for a custom built-on camper for mine. I'll be posting on this as the project shapes up.

Oh, I do have air bags on the rig and it handles a 1600 lb wet camper set-up without any trouble. Ask Dirty Dog, he has seen it handle some fairly tough ground.

Another thought (or is it an afterthought now?), The 1/2T will do better on mileage with a light camper setup. I still do about 18mph on the freeway. And that is loaded.

I vote to stick with the F150. Financially it doesn't make sense for you to change, and the 5.4L in a super duty is not overly impressive anyway. Some advantages to the super duty would be solid front axle, and the option of manual transfer case and transmission which is always nice.
You already know your F150 will handle this just fine though, with nice handling and shorter turning radius. The 9.75 rear axle is plenty strong, the brakes are up to it (unlike the small drum brakes on chevy half tons), as is the cooling system and everything else. The newer F150s are not like the old half tons that a lot of people seem to be remembering.

I re-geared my F150 (06) with 4.56 gears, detroit locker in the rear and eaton e-locker up front. I managed to get all of that at around $3k, including full bearing kits front and rear and everything installed. You would be better off in your rig (six speed) with 4.10s for mileage, assuming you're sticking with 35s. A superlift 4.5" lift can be picked up for around $1500 and will bring your front end angles back to stock improving the ride. Combine that with bilsteins or your choice of coilovers, and add-a-leafs with modified airbag mounts, and I think you'd be a happy camper. This has been my plan since I bought my F150 although I'm holding off on things at the moment, hoping for a job/location change.

You may go through front end components a little more frequently than a solid front axle, but it doesn't seem too bad. I replaced a front wheel bearing with some slight play at 55k miles with 35" tires, big deal. A lot of guys are running camburg upper control arms with 1" uni-balls instead of ball joints, and saying that it was a big improvement on the lifted front end as well.

Pm me if you want me to point you in the right direction for axle stuff. I ordered from a certain vendor off of another forum and the parts alone were over $400 less than ringpinion.com prices.

I'm wrestling with the same question. We just got home from 4 months and three weeks of meandering thru the southwest, the west coast, B.C., Alaska and the Yukon tent camping out of a AWD Honda CR-V. During the course of the trip, especially during the month we spent camping at Texas Springs in Death Valley, we were repeatedly impressed with Four Wheel Camper set-ups. We were so impressed that we decided to buy one before we started traveling again. We visited the FWC factory in Woodlawn, CA and tried to place an order since the wait for a new camper is now running about four months. When the salesman asked us what kind of a pick-up truck we owned we hit our first snag.

Until I saw the FWC equipped campers I had never even considered buying a truck. Now, I'm leaning in the direction of buying an F-150 XLT. I think the 4.6 engine is better suited to my driving style, slow, safe and economical, than the 5.4. And, I am really put off by that E-85 flex fuel B.S., but a comment in this thread about brakes has given me pause. Would a 4WD F-150 with a Hawk in the bed and extra rear springs installed by FWC be suitable for something like the Engineer Pass in CO? We are not aggressive off-roaders, but we spend plenty of time on dirt and gravel, i.e. the Dempster Highway to Inuvik and a recent trip, which would have been much more enjoyable with a FWC, across the Denali Highway in AK. I drove an F-150 yesterday and it was impressive. Do I actually need an F-250? By the way, I am really enjoying the WTW website and forums. Thanks for your input.

Until I saw the FWC equipped campers I had never even considered buying a truck. Now, I'm leaning in the direction of buying an F-150 XLT. I think the 4.6 engine is better suited to my driving style, slow, safe and economical, than the 5.4. And, I am really put off by that E-85 flex fuel B.S., but a comment in this thread about brakes has given me pause. Would a 4WD F-150 with a Hawk in the bed and extra rear springs installed by FWC be suitable for something like the Engineer Pass in CO? We are not aggressive off-roaders, but we spend plenty of time on dirt and gravel, i.e. the Dempster Highway to Inuvik and a recent trip, which would have been much more enjoyable with a FWC, across the Denali Highway in AK. I drove an F-150 yesterday and it was impressive. Do I actually need an F-250? By the way, I am really enjoying the WTW website and forums. Thanks for your input.

Engineer pass in a truck camper could be classified as aggressive off-road (for this kind of rig). When we did the Colorado rally last year we had a lot of discussion about Engineer, talked to some locals, and decided we didn't want to push our gear to that level. We did do Cinnamon Pass though which was fine. I think the F150 would do fine. I would suggest using airbags though rather than changing the springs.

Regarding the F150 vs F250 - i think it depends on how much gear you are planning on loading in the thing and how hard you are going to drive it. I had a FWC on the F150 and while it did fine most of the time, when I loaded it up with 3 guys, camping, biking, and rafting gear for a week long trip, it was really sagging. And I didn't do much off-road with it. If you think you can keep the weight to a reasonable level, and not beat it up too much, the F150 will be fine. I've dri9ven my F250 pretty hard with plenty of off-road and it has been 100% up to anything I have thrown at it or loaded it up with.

I'm wrestling with the same question. We just got home from 4 months and three weeks of meandering thru the southwest, the west coast, B.C., Alaska and the Yukon tent camping out of a AWD Honda CR-V. During the course of the trip, especially during the month we spent camping at Texas Springs in Death Valley, we were repeatedly impressed with Four Wheel Camper set-ups. We were so impressed that we decided to buy one before we started traveling again. We visited the FWC factory in Woodlawn, CA and tried to place an order since the wait for a new camper is now running about four months. When the salesman asked us what kind of a pick-up truck we owned we hit our first snag.

I've had the Grandby on both an F150 and F250. My F150 was a longbed, 4x4, with the 4.6 which was a good motor for puttin around town or not hauling any load but for me it just wasn't up to the task of hauling a camper and gear and a few dogs. Put that load and hit some hills it'll always be dropping down a gear if not two and you won't have any mileage benefit doing that. I had bags in the rear but if you add the camper and accessories, water, conglomeration of crap I carry (extra tools, farm jack, tow chain, my daughter and three dogs) and I am sure I was right at capacity which isn't really good. So I picked up a used F250 7.3 diesel and it is a lot better in that hills are no longer any strain, I do at times pull a trailer and now hardly notice it, the F250 has more interior room which is nice on big trips. We did the Haul road, and Cinnamon Pass, Stony Pass and the hideously tight rough road to Creede :( So I am very pleased with the F250 for my current use, it has capacity, strength, and power, and the 7.3 is durable and pretty economical. I think the F150 would have taken some lumps by now. I bought mine for about 10k, put a couple more into it to get it where i wanted and have added 35000 to the odometer and am heading to Newfoundland next :D Since I don't have a lot invested in it the camper stays on it plus and the F150 is my run to town truck. The F250 7.3 isn't a good vehicle for running little errands. A smaller truck would be more nimble, tighter turning radius, etc. but once you load the 150 with the camper, etc it's not very nimble anyway. And now I am running much less that my total capacity which is always good.
554313411_ZC3SU-S.jpg

Well for me I would go with the 3/4 ton. I like to bring a lot of "comforts" of home with me....I s'pose that's due somewhat to my getting older...I don't backpack any more either. Now I like a nice hike to a mountain top...but when I get back I like having a nice spot I can call "camp" and I like having it comfy. Camp kitchen, stoves, grille, etc. So for me a 3/4 ton makes more sense than a 1/2 ton. (You said money was no object right? :LOL: ).

As it is I will have to make due with my 1/2 ton Yukon with gear strapped all over it. I know we look like the Beverly Hillbillies when we go camping but hey....I like being comfortable. :) As they say YMMV.

I originally had my 2008 Hawk installed on a 2000 Tundra 1/2 ton. Could it handle it.....with upgrades to the suspension....sure. Was it ideal? No. I sometimes pull a trailer and the load was just too much for the Tundra.

For starters, when you have the camper on a 1/2 ton.....the owners manual says to push the lock-out button on the tranmsission to lock out overdrive. Well....now you are turning lots more rpms....and the mileage really suffers. Mine went from 15 with no camper....to 10.5 - 11 with camper. Pull a small trailer....the mileage dropped to 7.5 mpg. Going up steep hills was a nightmare....accelerator floored......5,500 rpms.....50 mph....getting passed by everyone.

Another big problem with a 1/2 ton is the brakes. Drop a camper and a load of gear on the truck....and your stopping distance is greatly increased. Everything felt overstressed....and within a year.....I burned up the transmission ($4000 to replace at Toyota dealership).

Long story short.....I kept my Tundra.....and use it as an around town short run vehicle. Mileage is back to 15 mpg....and the Tundra is much happier without all that extra load.

I installed the Hawk on a 3/4 ton Ford F250. Completely loaded with the camper, gear and pulling a trailer....I now get 13 mpg. Set on cruise control....going up steepest hills.....2500 rpms.....75 mph.....tons of power in reserve....passing cars going uphill. While cruising on level ground or moderate hills she cruises at 75 mph @ 1700 rpms....just kind of loafing along. Nothing is overstressed....brakes work great....all is good. I can't even tell the trailer is back there.

Get a 3/4 ton and you won't be sorry.

Our main out of the truck mode of transportation is either walking shoes or hiking boots. We travel light -- remember we've been tent campers for years (-- a great way to go until the rain gets heavy). A dealer just called me with a very attractive price on a new F-150 XLT 4x4 and, I'm feeling weak. The Hawk will fit on this model, right?

Our main out of the truck mode of transportation is either walking shoes or hiking boots. We travel light -- remember we've been tent campers for years (-- a great way to go until the rain gets heavy). A dealer just called me with a very attractive price on a new F-150 XLT 4x4 and, I'm feeling weak. The Hawk will fit on this model, right?

A spacer is required on the floor to fit a Hawk on an F150. A new FWC will come with that if you order it specifically for the F150. If you buy used, you either need to find one built for an F150, or build some kind of spacer since the F150 beds are deeper than most trucks.

Back
Top Bottom