12 Volt connectors

Bjammin

Advanced Member
The connector that sends 12 volt to my Dometic cooler has failed on me. Anyone have a line on some kind of 12 volt connector that is stronger and more durable than the cigarette lighter style unit I have? I'm talking military grade or better.

Attachments

• 12-V.jpg
    12-V.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 54
The 12V connector in the camper for my Engel is hardwired to a Bluesea fusebox. I carry a separate cable with a cigarette lighter adapter plug for when I need to connect it to the truck.

One of the reasons I like the Anderson PowePoles so much is that they sell various adapters that can be very useful when something breaks or a battery fails in a critical piece of equipment.
With an assortment of adapters with short cables and PowerPole connectors on the other end, I can power most any 12 v device from most any 12v battery.

Look at https://powerwerx.com/adapter-extension-cable and you can find a variety of items that you may find useful. I have battery clamps, ring terminals, cigarette lighter plugs and sockets and jumpers of various lengths that terminate in Anderson PowerPoles on each end.

Find the adapter required for the power source end then an adapter cable for the device end and a jumper cable of the needed length. Plug them together to create the emergency power source as needed. When doing permanent repairs, I commonly cut the wire with the broken connector and install PowerPole connectors in its place.. Then I can fabricate an extension of the needed length.

Paul

Hello Bjammin
I cut the male part off the power supply cord. Then I removed the 12v female and soldered together.
Never been a fan of those 12v power supplies especially for any type of load.

Hope this helps.
Russ

If you need to maintain the 12VDC power port for other uses consider replacing the female with the Blue Sea System part as well as the male part. Those two will lock together with a 1/4 turn, yet both still work with 'normal' plugs and receptacles.

Otherwise PowerPoles are a really good solution, but now you have to convert everything else that might need power from that location.

Back
Top Bottom