12v connect to the truck, windows, etc.

Barko1

I picked up my new to me 94 Grandby and now have a little work to do. It have a two prong plug on the camper but where does one find a mate or should I cut it off and use a more frequently found connection? I thought my trailer plug might have a hotwire when sitting but doesn't appear to, suggestions on how to connect, isolator??? where do I find such a thing, thought I'd stick an aux rv battery inside. also mine has a window (or had a window) on the driver side but going down the road it decided to leave the scene.

I've made a couple email inquiries to FWC and called but haven't gotten anything back from them about whether I can buy another window or a matching connector. Not thrilled with customer service so far.:confused:

Suggest

I've made a couple email inquiries to FWC and called but haven't gotten anything back from them about whether I can buy another window or a matching connector. Not thrilled with customer service so far.:confused:

I suggest emailing Stan directly. If he can't help you, you can always contact the guys at ATC (i.e. Ben). One or the other should be able to help.

7 Pin trailer connector

If you have the 7 pin trailer connector on your truck, the +12V source should be the connector that is at about the 1 o'clock position and the ground is the connector just opposite it at about the 7 o'clock position. If you're not getting power there, you may want to check for a blown fuse. Rather than tap into the trailer harness there, I would trace it back to a convenient location toward the cab, then tap in.

As far as the connector, I would just find some kind of weather resistant connector locally.

Even though I didn't buy my camper from FWC, I have found them to be very responsive, though some times it takes a day to get a call back. As I recall, they start the day pretty early, around 6:30 or 7:00 am Pacific Time. It's probably best to call early before they get the days production started.

Congratulations!

I picked up my new to me 94 Grandby

Oh yeah, congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it once you get the kinks worked out.

SB

Congratulations. Try calling Chicali in the service department, I've gotten excellent results going directly to him. Best of Luck.

Hey Barko1

We are in-between customer service people right now, so hang in there.

If you need a faster reply please call and ask for Stan (myself) or Chicali out in the shop.

Or e-mail me directly at ... stan@fourwh.com.

I would be glad to help as fast as I can.

I can be reached most of the time at 800-242-1442.

I would probably suggest cutting off the old green/black 2 prong plug and going with something nicer.

You can use most any type of connector you want -- whatever is easiest for you to hook up. Some are better than others.

IMPORTANT WHEN RECONNECTING !

WHITE CAMPER WIRE = POSITIVE +

BLACK CAMPER WIRE = NEGATIVE -

You could use your trailer wiring plug too I suppose ?

Do you have the big round "7 pin" connector ?

You probably don't want a "always hot" wire anyway.

If you have the camper connected to that, you run the risk of draining the truck battery down.

Most people will go to a switchable "hot" wire or a "key hot" wire off of the truck.

Here is a link to the current camper to truck plug we are using now ...

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/MARINCOCAMPERPLUG.pdf

Here is a link to the battery separator we are using ...

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/batteryseparator1315.pdf

Do you have measurements for the small window you were mentioning ?

I can see what we have out in the shop for new and used replacements ?

Worst case I would think most any local glass shop could cut you a piece of glass to fit in that spot (just not sure how easy it is for them to cut corners ??) Square cuts are easy. Rounded corners not sure ?

Hope this is a start for you.

Lets talk further tomorrow and we can get you moving forward.

Thanks

Stan

=====================================================

I picked up my new to me 94 Grandby and now have a little work to do. It have a two prong plug on the camper but where does one find a mate or should I cut it off and use a more frequently found connection? I thought my trailer plug might have a hotwire when sitting but doesn't appear to, suggestions on how to connect, isolator??? where do I find such a thing, thought I'd stick an aux rv battery inside. also mine has a window (or had a window) on the driver side but going down the road it decided to leave the scene.

Thanks Stan for all the useful information. I'll double check wires and measure the window. On my motorcycle I use BMW/John Deere connectors, some use SAE connectors. So I guess the separator is a device to prevent from draining the truck battery while say running the furnace fan all night keeping me warm.

Here are the measurements of the current type of window we are using (closest sized window we have in stock).

17" x 17" outside dimension of the black window frame.

I know your window is on the front / driver's side of your camper, but it might be the same sized window ?

Does your window measure the same ?

Let me know what you find out and we can go from there.

Thanks

=====================================================

... I'll measure the window

Attachments

• rear wall window.jpg
    rear wall window.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 354
Looks like the window is 16.5X13.75. Right now I'm busy working to install some airbags on the rear springs of the truck so I haven't checked local auto glass but I think that is the next step. I also ordered up a 12v water pump and an isolator and will get to that sometime. Meanwhile I think my attached hydraulic jacks might need some new seals. Anyway I did get a couple nights sleeping in it and have a planned weekend trip coming up. Thanks for the assistance.

sounds good

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful for the jacks ...

http://www.riecotitan.com/plhyd.html

http://www.riecotitan.com/hydjack.html

================================================

Looks like the window is 16.5X13.75. Right now I'm busy working to install some airbags on the rear springs of the truck so I haven't checked local auto glass but I think that is the next step. I also ordered up a 12v water pump and an isolator and will get to that sometime. Meanwhile I think my attached hydraulic jacks might need some new seals. Anyway I did get a couple nights sleeping in it and have a planned weekend trip coming up. Thanks for the assistance.

Thanks again and I did find tons of info on the jacks. Now to the garage to finish the airlift install. Trying to keep the drill bits away from the fuel lines:D

IMPORTANT WHEN RECONNECTING !
WHITE CAMPER WIRE = POSITIVE +
BLACK CAMPER WIRE = NEGATIVE -

I know I'm digging up an old, old thread, but Stan says above that the white wire coming from the camper is positive and the black is negative, but on my 1991 Grandby, I have white and red wires, no black. I don't know what to ASS-U-ME about this, and not sure how to test it. Please advise.

not sure ????

With older used campers we see lots of weird things different owners do to their campers over the years.

If you follow the wires back a little towards the camper, does it eventually turn into a one thick grey covered looking wire ?

(most older camper have a white insulated wire & a black insulated wire and both are covered by a grey outter sheathing) spelling?

If you follow the wires back a bit to where they are just about to enter the camper and then strip off the first layer of grey plastic / rubber cover, you should see one white wire and one black wire ?

Let me know what you fine out ?

Or if you can post pictures of what you got going on in there, even better !!!

I will try and walk you through it.

:)

----------------------------------------------------------

I know I'm digging up an old, old thread, but Stan says above that the white wire coming from the camper is positive and the black is negative, but on my 1991 Grandby, I have white and red wires, no black. I don't know what to ASS-U-ME about this, and not sure how to test it. Please advise.

If your 4Wheel is like my ATC, the camper frame is grounded to negative. To determine which of your wires, white or red, are the negative, simply use an ohm meter. Set the ohm meter to "continuity" or choose any resistance value, touch one probe to a bare metal item, and the other probe to the white or red wire and see which makes the meter jump. This would be your negative.

Back
Top Bottom