12V cooler

whybother

I couldn't find info on this topic in other posts...perhaps I missed it. If so, I apologize for the redundancy and would appreciate a point in the right direction.
I am in the process of having a custom Phoenix truck camper (shell model)built for my Tacoma, and I'm looking at different options for a cooler/refrigerator. I'm sick of the cooler/bags of ice option. I will have an auxiliary battery system in the camper, but do not plan on putting a propane tank/lines in it.
I'm wondering about people's experience with different 12V options (performance, power/current draw, price, etc...), and if anyone has experience with a Koolatron (http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/12v-coolers-warmers.html) 12v cooler.
Also, input on the size of cooler you prefer is great. Most of my camper use will involve driving (so recharging the auxiliary batter) nearly daily between camp sites, although it may be days in between grocery shopping opportunities.
Thanks!

I have the Engel MT 45 and could not be happier!! It is a 43 qt 12v/110. Runs 2-3 days on one Group 31 battery depending on furnace use.

If you dont plan on running propane, and you plan to have a modest battery bank, there is really only one choice.The Engel. The kooltron type coolers are only going to cool about 30 degrees down from ambient. Plus they are high current draw, more than 4 amps running all the time. That will kill a single battery overnight, and if your in Las Vegas during the summer you are drinking 80 degree beer. The Engle's are very low current depending on how large you choose. I have a front load Engle that pulls about 1.8 amps when running and only runs a few times an hour. I did add extra insulation to the fridge, but on my 330 amp/hour bank I can run about 10 days without starting the truck. With a solar panel on top my bank is fully charged after an hour or so of sun. Ever had ice cream camping in the summer? They aren't the cheapest, but they are the most efficient and dependable.
Just my 02cents worth.
John

Its a thermoelectric cooler, it uses electricity to transfer heat out of the cooler. Its not really that efficient (better than a ammonia based fridge on 12V though). They work okay for road trip use while driving, however I wouldn't want to try to power one for multiple days off my camper battery. I think it'd be a big drain.

Also the differential temperature they can achieve is limiting if it is really hot out.

I've got a coleman version that has been collecting dust in my attic for a few years if that tells you much.

Or go with http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23350&highlight=edgestar
Half the price of an engel.

I broke in my new ARB 50QT fridge/freezer this weekend and though I didn't stay any place longer than one night it did not phase my Optima Blue Top. ARB claims it is able to maintain sub-freezing temperatures in 90° F heat, while only drawing 0.87 amps per hour.

I may not have had any lights in my camper but my beer was cold!

I broke in my new ARB 50QT fridge/freezer this weekend and though I didn't stay any place longer than one night it did not phase my Optima Blue Top. ARB claims it is able to maintain sub-freezing temperatures in 90° F heat, while only drawing 0.87 amps per hour.

I may not have had any lights in my camper but my beer was cold!

You get the new style ARB will the pull off lid and all? What are your impressions, I was eying up one of those (online only though) for my build. I was considering seeing if the distribution factor had any scratch/dents available since they are ~50mi from me.

You get the new style ARB will the pull off lid and all? What are your impressions, I was eying up one of those (online only though) for my build. I was considering seeing if the distribution factor had any scratch/dents available since they are ~50mi from me.

Yeah, got the new one. My impressions are that it is well made and cools FAST. I couldn't believe how quickly it reached the temp setting when I first plugged it in. Seems efficient, did not cycle often and quiet when it does. Very well thought out. The best part is that it fits though the gap of the rear door and the couch so you don't have to lift it too high to get it in or out.

If I had the option to nab a scratch & dent I know I would pursue it. Good luck.

I know that Jay Aronow had the foresight to stock up on Engle MT45's before the Engle price increase (or should I say dollar decrease). I think he has a couple left at the old price.

Or go with http://www.expeditio...hlight=edgestar
Half the price of an engel.

I have this 12v reefer and like it quite well, with reservations. It works great, has a nice exterior digital temp readout and temp setting, can quick freeze, and the price is right. My Coleman 12v cooler has not been used since we got the Edgestar. Have hauled the reefer in the truck, used it to chill beverages on the deck for barbecues (house power), used it inside for "overflow" holiday use, and transferred it from the truck to hotel rooms while traveling, all without complaint. Have run it up to 12 hrs on a portable / jump start battery to avoid deep-cycling my truck battery. BUT for travel use beware that this unit uses 5.4 amps on something like a 30% duty cycle depending on temp. Others will know for sure, but this is probably 2x the energy use of the more expensive units which may be a concern for extended dry camping without driving unless you have a large battery bank and solar panel. Also, the fan is audible while running, which might bother some folks. I'll be using this in the new camper to start and see how it goes.

OK...I think I am sold on trying an EdgeStar. I think the 43 quart model will be just right, although the 63 quart model is not much larger in exterior dimensions. Any advice of fridge size (~43 vs ~63 quart? Also, how are people securing the portable 12v fridges (like the EdgeStar)inside of their camper while traveling. I am assuming you would want it attached in some manner. Thanks...

I used a piece of plywood bolted to the camper.
010.jpg

Not sure if this is temporary or not.

OK...I think I am sold on trying an EdgeStar. I think the 43 quart model will be just right, although the 63 quart model is not much larger in exterior dimensions. Any advice of fridge size (~43 vs ~63 quart? Also, how are people securing the portable 12v fridges (like the EdgeStar)inside of their camper while traveling. I am assuming you would want it attached in some manner. Thanks...

Do be aware of power usage. While price was a big consideration when we bought the Edgestar, at least part of the money we saved was later spent on larger batteries and solar panel. There's a good spreadsheet on this site you can use to calculate your power needs.

We looked at both the 43 and 63 quart units, decided on the 43 because we were using it in the extended cab of the truck and size was a consideration. It's plenty heavy enough. I wouldn't want to wrangle around a much larger unit.

Just ordered the 43 quart EdgeStar from Compact appliance. $412 out the door, no tax or shipping.Looking forward to no more warm beer & soggy food!

I bought the new style 63 qt ARB and put it in the back of the 4 Runner. Went on a 2 week vacation and used it as a storage for milk and stuff. I Towed the Casita trailer to White Pocket (lots of deep sand) and was there as a base camp for 8 days also going to South Coyote Buttes for day trips. The last 3 days I did not start the 4 Runner and the seconed battery under the hood it was using was at 12.35 volts. I had set the ARB temp to 26 degrees and liquid never froze or had ice. I think the temp sensor is in the wall and that is also where the cooling happens. I just put a blanket over the top.

I am pleased with the ARB and if I did find a ice chest that would have held what I needed for the 13 days not being able to re-supply with food or ice, the chest would have been soo big that it would not have fit in the area for space.

Bought it from Sierra Expenditions. http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/

Back
Top Bottom