1926 Automobile Trip to Death Valley

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
This collection of 76 photographs was pointed out to me on the Online Archive of California -

Death Valley Automobile Trip, 1926

The collection has this description -

"The Death Valley Automobile Trip photograph album containing 76 prints appears to be the record of a sightseeing trip made from Los Angeles to Death Valley in 1926. A written record--in the form of diary entries--is also included and consists of a series of detailed captions describing the landscape, landmarks, and individuals encountered in Death Valley. Neither the diarist nor the photographer is identified. The album displays no one emphasis: it consists of a broad range of photographs, from the automobiles and sighteseers to the landscape, abandoned mines, schoolhouses, hotels and homesteads of Death Valley."

I also found this article online in Hemmings Motor News for more information about the trip -

Death Valley in 10 Days

Thanks Ski, that was very interesting to see. I told my wife that I expect her in different dress next time we go to DV!

If you haven't read "Deep Enough" by Frank Crampton search for a copy. There is a first-hand account of a similar journey in it.

Loved it-wish I could have lived back then and done that sort of thing! But again I think I was born a couple hundred years to late, so I guess I'll just have to settle for my present day WTWing with my old pop-up and my faithful border collie "Bob" :p ! Yep but those still were the days!

Smoke

I enjoyed the photos- those folks were pretty tough to head out into that country with those cars. I imagine field repairs were a common necessity. Interesting to see the abandoned buildings back then and the resort. Loved the photos of cooking. Some things never change- pancakes! Fun to see the Hills Bros coffee can. That was the brand my folks bought. Brought back memories of childhood and hearing the vacuum when you used the little key to open the can (pffft!). :)

takesiteasy said:
.............................Loved the photos of cooking. Some things never change- pancakes! Fun to see the Hills Bros coffee can. That was the brand my folks bought. Brought back memories of childhood and hearing the vacuum when you used the little key to open the can (pffft!). :)
:)

takesiteasy said:
I enjoyed the photos- those folks were pretty tough to head out into that country with those cars. I imagine field repairs were a common necessity. Interesting to see the abandoned buildings back then and the resort. Loved the photos of cooking. Some things never change- pancakes! Fun to see the Hills Bros coffee can. That was the brand my folks bought. Brought back memories of childhood and hearing the vacuum when you used the little key to open the can (pffft!). :)
ski3pin said:
Yup :) me too! It was the Hills Brothers coffee can reference that was my time machine. I can hear the pffft and smell the coffee aroma spread across the room

Back
Top Bottom