Something New Is Afoot

congrats, and good luck. low miles , and i like the extended cab design (vs the larger back seat area). i think u have squeezed a LOT out of your current truck.
did u find it on craigslist or FBmarket place ?

We bought it off the lot at a Ford dealership in Oregon. It is a preowned certified vehicle with a warranty - some parts better than the warranty that comes with a new vehicle.

Yes, we put up with the stupid dealership sales tactics. At one time we excused ourselves from the negotiations, went outside but within sight, and belly laughed out loud.

As I said above, 2020-2023 extended cab with the FX4 package are hard to find. We had 5 possibilities - Oregon, Colorado, Ohio, Connecticut, New Jersey.

I'm curious what you like about the 2021 vs the 2003 truck. Did Ford do the right thing for you, or do you think the older one had better features?

Interesting question. Julie's response during her test drive was very similar to mine - "This feels like driving our old truck." A big reason we liked and bought it.

I've crawled underneath it, popped the hood, and looked at the parts that matter. The rear axle and differential are very much like on the 2003, although the 2003 level II has a bit larger ring gear and thicker axles. This one has a locking differential. The old Ranger had a mechanical limited slip Torsen differential. We always were able to get where we wanted to go with it. The front axle is very similar but easier to service. I do like the coil spring suspension on the new truck as the torsion bar suspension on the 2003 hung down underneath the truck. The seats in the new truck are comfortable and supportive and were fine on the long drive home. I like our old seats - even after 274,000 miles - a bit better. The new truck has disc brakes all the way around. So does our old Ranger (DIY project). I've not yet driven it in 4x4 low with the 10 speed transmission. All the technology bells and whistles are okay, sometimes a chore to learn, does not get me much excited, but, as I said, are okay. I do like having new airbags and the side curtain bags out of the side of the new seats.

It's footprint on the ground is only slightly larger than the 2003. It is 1" longer wheelbase, and the width is 3" wider. I believe it will be able to maneuver in the tight places we go. It feels and looks like a larger truck. Much of this comes from the foolish height of the bedsides. This I do not like. The bedside depth is 21". The 2003 was the old standard of 17".

We both like the additional power and torque. How we like the 10 speed auto and the 2.3 turbo, time will tell. Without a load, I need to be very careful with the go pedal.

It looks just as clean and new as our 22 year old truck. I'm a geezer, you know.

That sounds like a good one.
I agree about all the high tech stuff.Some is useful others are a PITA.
That 21' bed depth does cause a problem with your old Bobcat
and I think getting a new camper made for the truck is better then placing the old camper on a platform.
Dealing with "car salesman" yeah been there done that.
Enjoy many , many trips with the new white truck.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom