1965 ALASKAN camper in our Army truck

cpdog

We finally completed our overhaul and installation of our Alaskan Camper into our M923/A2 Cargo truck.
the entire camper was gutted and built from the ground up, all cabinets and locker doors, etc are all handmade. We installed a GOPOWER Solar system and topped it off with KEURIG coffee machine.
now we are camping whenever we get a chance.

Attachments

• GETTIN FAMOUS (11).jpg
    GETTIN FAMOUS (11).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 221
  • GETTIN FAMOUS (15).jpg
    GETTIN FAMOUS (15).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 231
  • GETTIN FAMOUS (21).jpg
    GETTIN FAMOUS (21).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 243
  • GETTIN FAMOUS (23).jpg
    GETTIN FAMOUS (23).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 258
  • GETTIN FAMOUS (24).jpg
    GETTIN FAMOUS (24).jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 237
bill98388

hello there from Seabeck Wa!

those are Michelins that are on 20" rims and 48" tall. they are the standard super single tire for the military trucks. but they are currently being labeled as the small guys now as they have a very big brother that is 53" tall....they weigh in about 350 with a rim. these are the radials and we love them, I also have the powder in them that self balance the tire throughout its life, which means I don't have to remove them to do balance job!

V/r

Looks like a nice submarine collection you have there. (first picture)

;-)

Oh yeah, nice truck and camper too!

hello to all

thank you all for the compliments......and as for the sub pics, I am kind of biased here...ha-ha..I am a retired submariner!
and as for the truck knowing the camper is there it doesnt, I was kind of hoping it would make it ride just a little smoother but no luck there..haha

V/r

Couple of questions
Is the steel frame just the front and back pieces that we see in the pics?? If so did you reinforce the floor to prevent sag??

When mounting the camper on the deck how do you secure it (Bolts thru frame and deck?)

Thanks in advace.

G Vavra

kimosaboy

sorry for delay in response to you, computer been down!

i have sent you some pics for the brackets.

please go over the pics and then if you have any detailed questions , just post them andi will provide all the data that i have concerning them!

this will get you started. i will go over the alignment details and recommended sequence for the install too.

look fwd to our discussions.

V/r

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20170117_101840.jpg
    IMG_20170117_101840.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20170917_102319.jpg
    IMG_20170917_102319.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20170917_102345.jpg
    IMG_20170917_102345.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 64
Cpdog
Thanks so much for the pics, they are exactly what I was looking for...
I had welded up a very similar set up except without the bottom cross tube. I bolted things in place only to find that there was too much ''give'' in the structure which resulted in the door going out of alignment..Your set up should fix that problem...
Did you re-enforce your floor at all, in the pic it looks like angle iron or something similar???

G Vavra

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 33
G Vavra

hello again! been a long time too....

so lets pick up where we left off...

as for the angle iron at the door it is for edging only, the subframe I built does the rest.....just make sure when you template up the frame that you have the camper aligned where you want because the frame will do it (it happened to me and I had to remove the front frame and open it up a bit due to it actually compressed the camper to the point we could not open the door) our solution was to simply put shims at door frame.

this all happened for one big reason, I had temped up the framed to the camper for a custom fit and then removed them for the final weld ups...………...when I did said temp ups I didn't bolt them into place. the camper wasn't straight so when I installed the 8 bolts per frame the frame did its job and brought the camper into alignment...hahhah

point is the frame has great unintended results and it works awesome and no matter how we park/camp or when we remove camper to the trailer there are never any alignment issues eg: door always opens...……...

Back
Top Bottom