1971 alaskan 12'

Hellagood_02

Hello,

I am a first time Alaskan owner. I just acquired a 1971 Chevy c30 Cheyenne with a 10' Halldon cargo bed and 12' alaskan non-cab over. I can't find any information on this camper. I find all kinds of information on the 8' and 10' models. I am not sure if I want to separate the truck and camper or leave them together. I am the second owner. The original owner ordered the cab and chassis brand new. Chevy sent it to Halldon for bed installation, and then it was sent to Alaskan for the camper install. I'm under the impression that this is a fairly rare unit/combo. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Contact Brain at Alaskan he may be able give you some info. They custom make Alaskans all the time.
Oh and post up some pics :)

Can I post in this thread or do I have to post in the gallery? I can't seem to figure out how to post pics in my reply.

Here it is. I have more pics but they are to large. I am trying to figure out how to make the file smaller

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 357
I am selling a 1970 12' Alaskan NCO, $1000 OBO. This is a rare unit. This camper needs some work and should be considered a restoration project.

This unit is complete other than the toilet and table. Includes 3 burner stove, fridge, and furnace. Two large windows on each side, intact. All plumbing for gas and water intact.

Cabinetry needs refinishing. External damage left rear top, resulting in some structural dry-rot.... Extent unknown. Ceiling has is dry and rough. Water damage around rear roof vent. Weather striping between top and bottom is gone. Top lifts completely. Hydraulic leak on left rear cylinder.

Please call or email and I will be more than happy to send pictures.

Keith

that sounds like both of my campers when i got them.it all sounds fixable though. mine were a lot cheaper to start with ,so the repairs didn't hurt the wallet so much. where are you located? i'd sure like to see a rig this rare. i bet that thing is roomy! i did see an old advertisement with a pic of that size rig with the double windows.

wes

Congratulations on your C30 with a Halldon body + the Alaskan camper! In 1957 Don Hall, and his lovely wife Irene, started Alaskan Campers (They were originally called Alcan but a legal snafu forced his hand to rename the company "Alaskan"). In the mid 60's he designed the "Halldon" truck body for those customers wanting a permanent installation along with the increased storage capabilities of the body. The chassis would have been sent to Alaskan. They did not manufacture the bodies themselves but contracted the work to their specs. I am lucky enough to have Don & Irene's last personal camper. It's an '88 GMC 3500 with a "Halldon " body and a 12' Cabover Alaskan. They likely didn't have many "Halldons" made each year. You've got a keeper!!

The camper is a super neat find. Unfortunately it needs more TLC than I have time or money to provide. I am also in need of a truck. Unfortunately, it looks like I will be separating the truck and the camper. I wish I had more time and space so I could do a restoration. Anyone interested please let me know.

Separating a Halldon and an Alaskan is the equivalent of taking a numbers-matching 60's muscle car and selling the original block.

You have a serious piece of Americana here, and it'd be a shame to separate the two. Also, the Halldon body and Alaskan are more likely than not asymmetrical, where one utility side is deeper than the other. They did this to optimize space, and means the camper won't work on a normal truck bed -- not to mention it's 12 feet long…

If you need a truck with a utility bed, sell this rig complete to someone with the means/passion to maintain/restore it and pick up (ha! no pun intended) a basic work truck.

I'd love to see it, where are you located?

64can said:
Separating a Halldon and an Alaskan is the equivalent of taking a numbers-matching 60's muscle car and selling the original block.

You have a serious piece of Americana here, and it'd be a shame to separate the two. Also, the Halldon body and Alaskan are more likely than not asymmetrical, where one utility side is deeper than the other. They did this to optimize space, and means the camper won't work on a normal truck bed -- not to mention it's 12 feet long…

If you need a truck with a utility bed, sell this rig complete to someone with the means/passion to maintain/restore it and pick up (ha! no pun intended) a basic work truck.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^

64can said:

AGAIN^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom