1978 FWC New Owner

shellback said:
You sure got a lot done in a short amount of time! Looking Great!
Thanks Shell. I have been slightly mono-focused on finishing the camper to a certain level before I start work.

Worked on the lower bed today. Added some thin carpet to the plywood. This will make it a little easier to manipulate into different configurations.
IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

Added a strip of wood on the floor in a strategic place.

We were able to get 5 adults and a dog hanging out in the FWC on New Years Eve with relative ease with this configuration with a Paco Pad across the front.

IMG_0211.JPG

Backdoor semi finished.

Showing Door Stop
Beer Bear
Two porch lights, (want to put a orange lens in one of them. Or hook one up to my backup lights.)

I like the paddle lock a lot more than the old school knob I had on it before. The Deadbolt is more of a bonus, from my afterthought.

IMG_1505.JPG

A little more progress. Starting to do a lot of the finish work on the inside.

This pic is showing the “galley” portion of the FWC. With my fold down prep table. Keeping the “open concept” FWC build I am trying to achieve.

Battery access panel. There is a little square bolt just below the furnace that will allow the whole panel to come off to change out the batteries when the time comes.

Sink and sink cover. The cover still has to be stained and treated.

Added a duct to the furnace. Which really had me hating the location of the thermostat. I will try and change the location down the road if it really bothers me.

Temporary wiring harness, until I replace the headliner.

IMG_0213.JPGImage1516211027.130862.jpg

I have already installed a quick disconnect for the stove I will eventually purchase one of these 2 burner propane stoves. These Partner stoves are awesome, and I have been wanting one for my Rafting setup, so this gives me another reason to purchase one, (when they go on sale).

So the time has come to finally weigh this thing.

I took a trip to the dump to drop off all of the waste that I had left over from the build. And weighed my truck on the way out.

2005 Tundra Double Cab relatively empty (with tailgate) 5580-5600 lbs.

I will take the the tailgate off the truck, when I weigh the camper.

“Customized Fleet portercassidy edition open concept FWC” includes when weighed:

Wider, Thicker, treated floor pack (3/4” pressure treated plywood)
Atwood Furnace
Propane Tank (mostly filled)
3/4” upper and lower beds (4x6.5) and (5x6.5)
(2) 12v Batteries, and 1990’s era power converter with beefy extension cord.
Sink, and 3/4” prep table.
No water
No Cooler
No Action Packer. (I will take this out for the sake of making weight guesses easier)

Anybody care to guess what it weighs? I went to the dump this afternoon. Could even do Price is Right rules. (Closest without going over).

My 2016 Chevy 1500 4x4 doublecab weighs in at 5680 with me in it. My 1979 Grandby that I rebuilt with no heater, no propane, 1 battery, electric jacks, and a compressor fridge rang up 6780 on the scale. All my plywood was 5/8 and less. I'm guessing your 2 batteries propane, heater ect. adds up to more than my fridge and electric jacks. So I'll go with 1120#. What do I win? LOL!

I guess we have enough guesses.

The scale read 6360-6380

So entirely empty. I am coming in below 800 lbs. I think that is pretty good. But have never really calculated all other camping supplies weight. I have always been able to throw everything I needed in a action packer, cooler and a few packs full of climbing gear.

Less than 800#s? Wow, that seems less than they say a shell weighs with nothing in it. I've got to put mine on a diet. My camper maybe a little less than 1100#s, as my truck light weight didn't include the Happijack tiedown kit, Fastgun hold downs or my suspension upgrade I did since the first time over the scale. I know the composite lift panels I made are quite heavy also. Is your camper an 8 foot by 80" wide model?

Old Fleet so 90” long by 78” wide.

I am sure when I put water, food, Cooking box, etc... It will start to add up. But as soon and my wife and daughter start filling it up with tons of clothes, books and skin care products it will all average out.

I will try and list a few of the reasons, I believe that the weight may be so low.

1. There is currently nothing in this camper. I wanted it to be open enough to potential haul furniture, bikes, rafts. So I left it super bare bones. No water tank, no table, no stove. I have been using my ultra trusty propane bottle screw on stove while I have been camping, and stashing that is the sink when I drive around.

2. I eliminated one of those 90 degree angles when re building the floor pack. I can remember thinking that there is probably a reason FWC puts a large wooden square all the way down the sides of the camper (besides building it completely over the wheel wells.). Which in retrospect, I may have built it out that way. So I eliminated a bunch of 5/8” plywood all along both sides of the camper. The seating on these two sides, in about 12”. So the seating is pretty comfortable, but you couldn’t kick back, like you could on the carpeted area.

3. No roof rack, no bike rack, no fuel carrier. The list goes on. I still need to buy a step into this camper. That’s slightly more weight. Thinking about his one.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Step/Brophy/RHS2.html#modal-open

4. All my interior plywood for my command center is 1/2” or less, besides the countertop and prep table. Basic wiring system 4 lights total. Two porch lights, two interior dimmable.

Back
Top Bottom