1999-2003 F350 SD 7.3 PSD / Power Master 9051 Starter Motor

Glenn

Advanced Member
Hopefully this will help any members on Wander the West who own 99-03 Power Stroke Diesels. I’ve done a lot of upgrades to my Diesel since buying it in 2018. It is a 2002 and after 20+ years things get wore out and tired.

I have removed the bed, and replaced the bad support channels, pulled the rear axles, added air bags, replaced rotors, replaced calipers, dropped the fuel tank, replaced front unitized hubs, rebuilt front drive shafts, replaced trans. cooler, shimmed injector armatures and solenoids……. And the list goes on and on and…………

A starter motor on a diesel is no exception. They get ‘tired’, and the battery cables which often have corrosion creeping up inside the copper strands, increase resistance and can cause hard to start issues.

Anyways, I’ve done a lot of DIY work and have done extensive threads over on the Diesel Stop forum. My user name is Big Horn (a nickname from work) , so as the author of the thread I thought it only fitting to share it for any Wander the West members who might own a 99-03 SD Power Stroke Diesel. I can absolutely vouch for the Power Master 9501 starter motor and their Excellent customer service.

There are many SD owners who believe it is a difficult job being the 9501 is much larger than the OEM starter installed by FORD. I actually found it quite easy and myself would rate it a 3 out of 10 on difficulty -
And the work was done after I had my health problems.

Thank you to everyone on the WTW forum in replying to so many of my questions!!

If interested I’ll let you review the original post here below of a worth while upgrade?

Glenn

IMG_0383.jpeg

Some of the best workouts I’ve had were replacing starters. Laying on your back holding it up in some awkward position with one hand and trying to start the first bolt with the other hand - good times!

Back
Top Bottom