1999 Eagle Electrical Help

MichaelTarallo

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the community and a proud new owner of a 1999 Eagle model.

I use the camper as a second home when I'm working as an outdoor guide/instructor in Utah. I'm able to hook the camper up to shore power, but I've noticed that the fan still runs off the battery and tends to sap out a good chunk of the energy. Being in the southwest of Utah, I'm going to need the fan running as much as possible to cool my dog and I, sometimes through the night.

Is there a way to make sure the fans and lights are running off of shore power alone?

Quick notes:
  • I'm a total noob
  • I have a solar panel and a SunSaver 6 controller; the previous owner said the panel keeps the battery topped off pretty well
  • The battery is an Optima Yellowtop Deep Cycle & Starting
  • I've got a Dometic 3-Way Fridge that I run off of 120 when connected
  • I don't have the camper battery connected to my truck battery
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

Michael,

I believe they should run off shore power automatically.

I am also a new owner of a FWC. On the FWC website there have product manuals by year that I found very helpful.

They have a section on "electrical system" that is a good reference. If you plug into shore power, the 120 volt shore power will automatically supply 12v power to your appliances.

Are you plugged in and have the master switch pulled out (on)? This will charge the battery through the convertor.

I recently put in a battery monitor which was helpful to see what my battery was doing during different power usage scenarios.

Best,

Luke

I think I've figured out the problem: the shore power only supplies power to an outlet and the fridge. The fuses for the lights, fan, etc., are only connected to the battery. Maybe this was how they did it on the older models?

MichaelTarallo said:
I think I've figured out the problem: the shore power only supplies power to an outlet and the fridge. The fuses for the lights, fan, etc., are only connected to the battery. Maybe this was how they did it on the older models?
As you describe is how our 1994 Ranger II FWC was wired. The newer models have an IOTA converter installed that powers the 12V system when plugged into shore power.

You could install a permanent battery charger tied into the shore power(through a switch) so it can be on when when plugged in. Even though the fan is drawing 12v, the battery will be replenished. You might want a charger like the Iota that has a supply circuit as well as the charging capability rather than a charger only model. Which ever way you go, be sure to get one with a 3 or 4 step charging system. Since you mention having a 3 way fridge, keep your fridge on propane when 120v is not avail., it draws a lot of amps when in electric mode and will drain your battery overnight on 12v. Another fan option is to get a O2 brand fan(avail at Walmart), runs on dcells or 12v. Mine has been reliable, quiet and batteries last a long time too.

hello, again! quick update: i ordered the converter and have been trying to figure out how to install the thing for a few days. my current plan is to install a new 15A circuit breaker to power a single outlet for the converter to plug into. i'm wondering if i can pigtail a line off of the 14-2 line coming into the circuit breaker box from the shore power outlet to power the new circuit breaker. thoughts?

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom