1st Gen Tundra/Eagle MPG

RFC

I'm thinking about upgrading from my 2.7 liter tacoma as the ~1100lb eagle + ~500 lbs of gear, people and dog that I usually travel with has got it working pretty hard. Once I get up to speed I can get 19-20mpg but it doesn't like inclines, starting on hills, or towing our little trailer.

I'm looking at the 1st gen Tundra's with the 4.7 and wondering how they haul a FWC and what kind of mileage folks are getting.

Thanks

About 15 mpg if you don't mind going a bit on the slow side

In 2011 I changed trucks from a Ford Ranger small V6 to a 2002 Tundra.
The Ford while nice was under powered with the camper. The larger V6 would have been better.
After our trip to Denali we realized we needed to up grade and the 02 Tundra was the perfect fit for us and the ATC Bobcat.

I enjoy the power of the V8 and the ride,plus the truck is just the right size for us.

I get between 15/16 MPG depending how much freeway travel we do.
I try to keep the speed between 60/65, that way I feel I get the best mileage plus travel time.

Can't justify a new truck with better mileage and the new ones are soooo big.
Frank

My 03 4.7L Tundra with Eagle gets 16mpg on U.S. highways and 14mpg on crappy mountain roads. This is full gear loaded with me, my dog and wife. It handles amazing. Truth is I don't even feel like I am hauling anything. Steep inclines and driving at elevation no problem. The fit of the eagle on a tundra is really nice. The camper does not hang over the bedwalls at all.

I have an 06 with the 4.0 V-6 and don't do any better than the 4.7, 14-16mpg loaded. Go for the power and get the 4.7 and if you want 4x4 you'll have no choice except the V-8

The Next Adventures said:
My 03 4.7L Tundra with Eagle gets 16mpg on U.S. highways and 14mpg on crappy mountain roads. This is full gear loaded with me, my dog and wife. It handles amazing. Truth is I don't even feel like I am hauling anything. Steep inclines and driving at elevation no problem. The fit of the eagle on a tundra is really nice. The camper does not hang over the bedwalls at all.
We just did 1760 miles looping through Idaho (OR/NV/CA) with the 4.7 Tundra/Hawk and got 12-14mpg. :cautious: I was pushing 70 mph our last day driving 600+ miles to get home. I think the Eagle fit is less wind resistance, but requires sleepers to align with truck orientation. My worst highway mileage was coming back from 80 from Elko to Winnemucca with strong headwinds. Conclusion: Hawk is wider and catches more wind, but we enjoy having a made bed that doesn't interfere with the cooking area.

I have a Tundra 02 4x4 access cab with 165K miles and it runs great with a fully loaded Hawk on her back. At 60 mph, I consistently get 13.5 - 14mpg. With an Eagle you will get slightly better mpg. Next year I will upgrade to a Ram 2500 (perhaps, wait and see how the new Toyota Diesel pans out)

I have a hawk base model with some extras. I am like the others 14 to 16 depending on how I drive. If I pull my trailer with my Pontoon or my ATV I am at 11 to 13. The truck handles the weight well. I have firestone airbags and Michelin E rated tires.

I have second gen '06 Tundra V6 with Hawk and custom wind deflector in front. My mileage varies from 13.5 at 70mph to 16ish at 60mph. Head winds definitely have an effect on mileage. The V6 works fine most of the time, however there are times when a V8 would be better - long grades with a head wind or when towing a 1500lb boat up those long grades. Bought the V6 specifically to get better gas mileage than V8, but not sure if it actually is the case (with the V6 having to work harder). Towing boat lowers mileage, but lower speeds (required by law) compensate and mileage is about same as at higher speeds w/out boat.

We have a 1st gen 2006 tundra 4.7 V8 with a hawk, usually drive 60 mph or so. Most of our trips have been to Baja with surfboards and a kayak, or two kayaks, on the roof. We are not aerodynamic by any means. I'm happy when we get 14 mpg with this load. Head or crosswinds cut us down to 10 to 12 mpg. The truck feels like a sports car when we take the camper off, but still can do no better than 16 or 17 highway mpg with no load.

We have a 2005 1st Gen Access Cab 4x4 4.7V8 with the Kestrel model (similar to the Hawk) camper. We get around 15 mpg, which goes down REAL fast over 65 mph. We sometimes have kayaks but haven't recorded the mileage then.

Back
Top Bottom