1st gen Tundra suspension and tire questions

DonC

I think I finally found a 2006 Tundra that I hope to pickup next week. 2006 with 57,000 miles, gray 4x4, great shape.

From what I've read here I should install Bilstein 5100s on front and back, and Firestone air bags. Will that do the suspension?

Re tires, what do you recommend? Although this is a 4x4 truck I don't do hard core stuff. I'm looking for good mileage on the highways and something that will work on easier 4x4 roads.

What size tires are best for mileage? It currently has 265/75/16 tires (31.6" x 10.4" / 16"). Should I go back to the original tire size of 245/70/16 (29.5" x 9.6" / 16")?

I think I finally found a 2006 Tundra that I hope to pickup next week. 2006 with 57,000 miles, gray 4x4, great shape.

From what I've read here I should install Bilstein 5100s on front and back, and Firestone air bags. Will that do the suspension?

Re tires, what do you recommend? Although this is a 4x4 truck I don't do hard core stuff. I'm looking for good mileage on the highways and something that will work on easier 4x4 roads.

What size tires are best for mileage? It currently has 265/75/16 tires (31.6" x 10.4" / 16"). Should I go back to the original tire size of 245/70/16 (29.5" x 9.6" / 16")?

Congrats on the new truck. I would also add a rear sway bar, I did the Helwig and it made a BIG difference. I run E rated all season radials I off road but in the sierra's in the summer so not much mud just rocks. Only really need 4x4 once a year so it is a must have for me :rolleyes: .

Lots of information on the Tundra here http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/

Bill

PS: Grey is the best color.

EDIT looks like you already know about TundraSolutions. Just saw post on tires.

Congratulations on the Tundra. My brother has a 1st generation and loves it. And yes his is grey too.

I agree on the sway bar. Ours is the second generation Tundra (grey too!) and I ordered it with the TRD sway bar. I've only had the truck for 6 months but I did drive it through one hunting season and a long trip towing a travel trailer. The control on and off highway is much better than the old '97 Dodge Ram without a sway bar.

I've used E-rate Michelin M+S for a few years. Reliable and only one flat so far (nail). Ride is fine for an E-rated. However, since most of us only get to try two or three sets of tires per vehicle, its not much data to go on I'm afraid. E-rated is definitely the way to go for weight hauling.

Whatever tires you decide on, let us know how they work for you.

It sounds like a nice truck; grey is my second favorite color after white. :)

Regarding tire size: For MPG and hauling on pavement, the 245/70/16 is probably a better choice. The smaller tire's foot print will have less rolling resistance (better MPG) and the smaller diameter will give you a better gear ratio for carrying the camper (better acceleration and hill climbing ability).

My Chevrolet with camper weighs about 8,000 pounds and it will go through all but the softest sand on it's stock 245/75/16 in 4X4. I did upgrade to 285 tires because I sometimes travel across the softest sand.

I agree with others that E-load range tires are preferable to D-load range tires. A quick search of the internet didn't find any 245/70/16 in E load range, but plenty of 245/75/16 in E range.

Which ever size tires you may decide upon, you may want to ensure that the speedometer is correctly calibrated to that size. I'm not familiar the Tundra,
but I quess you could either have a dealer adjust the wheel speed sensor, or get an inexpensive after market programer to adjust the wheel speed sensor.

This is great, thanks. Looks like E rated tires. Are there specific brands/models you like? I'm 95% highway miles and 5% light off road and easy 4x4. Are high quality all season mud and snow rated tires ok, or do I need more aggressive A/T tires?

Interesting that I said the truck was gray, and all three responders said grey. I just had to look this up! :)

The Toyota color chart for 2006 lists Phantom Gray Pearl and Thunder Gray Metallic.

So, then I looked up gray vs grey and I found this for the color
UK = grey
US = gray

So, do we have a bunch of Brits here?? :D

So, do we have a bunch of Brits here?? :D

We Canadians are halfway in between. Generally, we prefer coffee to tea but we have adopted the metric system - sort of ;)! We also still use the 'u' in 'colour' unless spellcheck insists otherwise. And yes, 'grey' is spelled with an 'e'. Other than that we look pretty normal.

I own an '05 Tundra. It is the Phantom Grey Pearl (dark grey). I would recomend setting the 5100s at the 1.5 inch setting up front. Then get a set of BFG ATs in 265X70R17. This size can be purchased with an E rating. Mine are. I love the leveled look the 5100's gave me and there is plenty of room for this tire. It is only on size larger than stock. Also, this tire will be quiet on the hiway, return good gas milage, and when the time comes to put it in 4 wheel drive they have really good grip for an AT. They are also rated for winter driving if that matters.
Here is the Bilstien being installed Tundra 039.jpg
The BFGs fit nicely Tundra 030.jpg
They still tuck well inside the wheel well Tundra 033.jpg
and if the occasion arises you'll be able to... may-june 2011 231-01.jpg

I love my Toyos and my Timbrens. No airbags or sway bar needed. About $200 total and you can put em on yerself.

Salsa Red '04 DC here...bought new. Just rolled over to 100K. 60K of that is with the camper on full-time.

be safe, be well

mtn

I've got an 06 AC Tundra with airbags, sway bar and E rated BFG's. They have held up to some serious abuse with minimal damage so far. The truck came with 18" wheels and I kept them. With the V8 I don't worry too much about power :)
After recently driving DV rougher trails, I would recommend the sway bar if you do that sort of stuff.

I forgot to mention, if you do install airbags, make sure you use grade 8 bolts and not the hardware store junk Firestone provides. I broke two bolts in one trip, until I spent $17 to replace them with hardened bolts.

Check out Roadmaster Active Suspension at Strutmasters.com, they are $344 and free shipping. I have them on my Chevy Silverado, they serve the same purpose as air bags and sway bar. They work great and took me a short time to install them myself. Definitely go with the E rated tires.

congrats on the Tundra.

I've got an 03' with a Ranger II= (eagle), it's been a sort of love/hate relationship but i'm back to loving it, my main problem was taking the camper off the truck, the 03' has wide fender flares and the stock camper mounts gave about 1/2" of clearance, that coupled with the increased bed height due to the airbags and add a leaf made removable a death defying act. I'm in the process fabricating a new quick release mount system for the camper jacks which should be sweet and allow me the flexibility to actually take the camper off. I'll be posting a few pics in the near future but take a look at my build and mods if you're interested

My link

Back
Top Bottom