1st gen Tundra tell me about your shocks and suspension.

I think I have a game plan for now.

I just ordered these shocks and one of their proportioning valve extension brackets. https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/toyota-tundra/00-06-toyota-tundra/bilstein-5100-height-adjustable-front-rear-shocks-for-2000-2006-toyota-tundra/

I think I'll take my truck with camper to the local spring shop so they can see what I have and get a feel for them. I'll see what they recommend after seeing the truck. I'm thinking I may opt for just one added leaf (+700lbs cap) and retain the airbags for the slight extra I might need. That way I have enough steel spring to support the camper if I blow out a bag some how. But not so much as to give a brick ride when unloaded. if they agree I'll probably pull out my packs and take just the springs to them. That'll save some real money in labor and I have to get under there to do the shocks anyway. i've done that job on several trucks so nothing new to me to do.

I only need 30 psi in the bags now when camper is on and loaded heavy and towing the boat.

I think I'll probably lift the front to the1st notch on the springs which should give about 1/2" lift. If I like how it all sits then I'll get another alignment.

The rear shocks showed up today. They look very nice. Still waiting on the front ones.

I've spoken to a couple of local spring shops. Each seems to have a different opinion on what I want to do. By the time I run all over and either pay them to do the install or make a couple of trips with spring packs It seemed like I wasn't saving that much money. So I decided to just order a set of custom springs from Deaver.

It's time to do the 60K service on the truck so I'm going to give it a good once over. if it needs brakes I'll probably upgrade. Not 100% sure which though at this point. Probably just start with Hawk superduty truck pads. I have also found that Powerstop makes a semi metallic brake shoe set for the rear drums. The truck will probably get those when the shoes get replaced. I've had great luck with semi metallics in the past. They stop very well. Just dirty on wheels with disc pads.

i'm looking forward to the upgrades. The stock shocks are beat. I think real springs and good shocks will get rid of some of the bouncyness of the Firestone airbags.

Got a call from Jeff at Deaver. My new springs shipped today. I'll have to pick them up at the truck depot when they arrive in town. Couldn't have them truck shipped to my house. No place to turn around a large truck on this one lane, dead end road.

Before I start installing stuff I want to finish getting the Moon truck ready for the new buyer. By the end of the month I hope. Then I'll pull the camper and weigh the truck again empty and measure the ride height empty as well. I want to compare the loaded and empty weights and height. .

I went into the city today to pick up my new Deaver springs from the truck depot. I had to pull the Camper and the platform from the Tundra yesterday so i could haul the pallet.

They look nice. They are basically stock spring packs with 2 additional leaves each.
001 (Small).JPG

And they came with a box of new longer U bolts.
002 (Small).JPG

I already have the new Bilstein 5100 shocks on hand.

It'll probably be next month before I can deal with this project. I need to get the Moon Truck out of the garage and down the road 1st.

I noticed some writing in yellow paint that was hard to read on one of the spring eyelets. So I called Jeff at Deaver to verify. They made these springs driver and passenger side specific to deal with the factory lean caused by the fuel tank. I thought that's what it said but glad I called to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom