1st trip impressions with 08 tacoma

lqhikers

well we just got back from 14 day trip(hole in the wall grand stair case escalante) with our 2008 taco v/6 extended cab,as this is a replacement for our 2002 4cyl. reg cab. i thought i would make some remarks comparing the two. 1390 total miles,only freeway was from Primn Nev. to st George Utah on way out.rest of roads were secondary or dirt or 4x4.approx 200 miles low speed rough,75 pure 4x4.over all mileage 16.24 mpg.this was with loaded truck two people, cat,food for two weeks,water extra gas (10 gals)all camping no trailer.plus for new truck extra room in cab,main reason we bought it other than that not to impressed with performance.we have done the same (close)trip with 4cyl with trailer (dual sport motorcycle,kayak,misc.)mileage 18+ unless you have to be ahead of everyone on the road i would of been happy with the access cab 4cyl 5speed,you can tell the difference in size off the road,as the extra 5 inchs of width caused more brush scratches,no more complaining just a few pics .we dont take many pics as they do not give the smell, sound, or enjoyment of being there,but have to show proof we went!.drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attachments

• DSCF0613 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0613 (Small).JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCF0628 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0628 (Small).JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 555
  • DSCF0622 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0622 (Small).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 547
  • DSCF0640 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0640 (Small).JPG
    48 KB · Views: 529
more info and pics on 1st trip w/2008 taco

1st pic above was camp spot in mojave preserve,also crack in the wall side trip on hole in the wall road,camp spot at lake mead, and we were not invited for lunch,ran into meal on hike to crack in the wall! also a couple of shots of storage in access cab food,cooking and best of all engle 12v frige worked perfect,never will go back to ice chests!! no dog but we do enjoy or 18 year old cat camp spot high in mojave preservedrive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attachments

• DSCF0609 (Small) (Small).JPG
    DSCF0609 (Small) (Small).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 488
  • DSCF0610 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0610 (Small).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 508
  • DSCF0632 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0632 (Small).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCF0641 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0641 (Small).JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 495
Les, you guys rule. How chilly was it at night? What body of water was that?

Could you post a clearer pic of the roof rack? I'm trying to decide if I want to do a FWC style or one like yours out of steel. Nurse Ratchet is keeping a tight rein on me until the doc says I can resume normal activity. It's killing me but baby steps I guess. I get to drive my truck today. First time in 5 weeks. Oh joy!!!

replie to jay aronow

jay glad to hear you are almost back up and running,but don't forget to take it easy till you are really healed,life is to short as it is we need all the healthy days we can squeeze in there is a lot to do out there!i'm still waiting for your pics of your new rail bike i'm sure you are in the process!!.enclosed are some shots of roof rack.you can use existing screw holes on roof so you can remove when ever,i used 1"squire tubing for cross bars,2"strap for uprights,1" strap for mounting points,i used 3 cross bars because i sometimes carry kayak on top 2 rails would work.basket is a add on at times.3/4"tubing&1/2"tubing 4 bolts.you have to unload basket before you can lift roof,to much weight if you load as much as i do!.i've hauled gear all over baja no problems.from past experiance i do not like alum racks they have always cracked under hard loading and conditions.added bonus with pics you can see solar mount and our location for our solar shower.picture on trip post is lake mead we always spend time there if weather is right as it one of few places you can four wheel to legal camp spots and not share with yahoos! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attachments

• DSCF0646 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0646 (Small).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCF0650 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0650 (Small).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 435
  • DSCF0648 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0648 (Small).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCF0647 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0647 (Small).JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 442
Good job!!!

You two are awesome....nice rig, nice pix and nice looking couple (and cat).
I really like your mods. Have you posted some inside camper pix yet? I can't remember.
Thanks folks,
Brian

Thanks Les,
As I told you when I saw you guys there is wire feed welder in my future. I just need to get all healed up. Cant wait.

LQ,
Man, I wish you were my nieghbor! Seriously though, what great looking work! Good to hear the trail test went well..

Jay, here are a few pix of my roof rack you were asking about...pretty simple really. Glad to hear your back is on the mend!

T.

Attachments

• DSCN1761.JPG
    DSCN1761.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCN1762.JPG
    DSCN1762.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 406
You two are awesome....nice rig, nice pix and nice looking couple (and cat).
I really like your mods. Have you posted some inside camper pix yet? I can't remember.
Thanks folks,
Brian

i have asked the same question :D ...always enjoy the posts lqhikers, interesting opinion about the 6 vs. 4 cyl. your rig is great, i would say the 2 of you really have things dialed in...thanks, as always, for posting. cheers!

Very nice set-up all put together.

The storage you've created in the back seat must be a real pleasure after the regular cab Tacoma. Another 12V fridge lover. That seems to be the hot ticket for the desert dwellers and SW US folks. The lack of access doors on my own x-cab are the only beef I have with my truck.

I really like the functional and well thought out additions you've made to both your truck and camper.

Those are neat places and cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

You have done an incredible job on you modifications and was well thought out. I look at people’s set ups and I want, I want……..:rolleyes:

Les,
My thought is to use 8th aluminum angle and mount it where you have the 2" strap attached. What size self tappers did you used to secure the straps? The heaviest thing I'll put up there is a tandem kayak about 60 lbs.

roof rack mounting (attn. Jay A.)

jay you could use existing screws and if they are not long enough go to next longer length. i used roofing screws that have a rubber washer seems to keep screws from loosing up and predrilled,also seem to work better than self tapping,(if you use right sizes drill) i ? using alum for rack as wide as the one i use as i feel the flex will end up cracking. but seeing how heavy your rig is already (dodge ha!ha!)i might consider alum also .don't have this problem with Toyota as i have always overloaded and have had no problems ( well maybe a couple) hope this helps (our double kayak weighs approx 100 pounds)

more on roof rack (attn Jay A.)

jay thought i would expand my thoughts.the reason for edge mounting is the fact that mounting points on roof (notice Tomas Tierra's post)are very flexable,you can push on them to see what i mean after a lot of Baja type driving i feel the ribs could crack and you would not be able to see,plus i feel that other roof screws could work loose easier with all the stress causing roof leaks,i have always tried to copy what people more experianced than me have done and it seems to me that most build heavy,based on use.building light works for most use (factory mounts work for most use no problem with that) this is my favorite reason i like this forum all the differant ideas!!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

You guys aren't helping me make up my mind which way to go :) Though I'm kind of leaning towards the way Tomas did it. Probably not much more than a kayak will ever go up there. Doubt I'll ever get the chance to do really lengthy trip.
How's that been holding up Tomas?

Craig,
I've only had a couple of surfboards up there. Seems to work fine.I plan on putting a 2 person kayak up there at some point.(i'd rather have a surfboard up there!)

My buddy added a basket to his similar set up as mine..piccies(already been posted on another thread but what the hay)

TT

Attachments

• DSCN1744.JPG
    DSCN1744.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN1746.JPG
    DSCN1746.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN1745.JPG
    DSCN1745.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 226
Back