1st trip notes

AK Nomad

We recently returned from our first outing with our 04 Granby: 5wks - 7500mi. AK-BC-OR-WA-ID-AB-BC-AK :thumb: Camper worked very well for family of 4. Bought it used last fall, put a new IOTA converter/charger in it last winter, and waited for spring. We left in May and drove down all kinds of roads in all kinds of weather. This camper has many great attributes (excellent handling on the road, hot water shower, 20lb propane lasted well over a week, etc.). I'll list a few things we need to work on...

1. The roof leaks - right, front - while driving or parked (It appears to be sealed, but..) Also look into sealing seams?
2. I couldn't reach the outside canvas window flaps - had to park next to a table/stump/etc to roll them up/down (I'm not carrying a ladder along).
3. Norcold refer requires constant attention. DC mode keeps it on the warm side. Propane mode freezes food after a few hours (we could have ice cream instead of lettuce). DC mode drains house battery quickly :eek: when vehicle not charging. Like another recent thread, the ignitor rarely works, so I use a bbq lighter. Would like to add a exterior read thermometer, and see if temps can be adjusted? Add fan?
4. Add fantastic fan roof vent (somebody burned the bacon:()
5. Add rear steps for roof rack access (difficult to tie stuff on without)
6. Add generator/solar for extended stays (we were on the go, so never had a problem with our single Optima blue top.....except when somebody left the fridge on DC:rolleyes:)
7. Bring a travel towel to sop up moisture from condensation and/or leaks
8. The storage area (square opening) near the refer is needs a door/drawer/etc. Stuff always falls out when driving.

Overall, lots of fun. My pics are too large for this site. I'll lower the pixel's next time - maybe show y'all some ak scenes sometime. Great site here.

AK,

Sounds like you had a great break in trip. The refer is very sensitive to leveling and temperature setting in propane mode. On our last trip we had trouble keeping things cold enough, even at night, until we releveled the camper. Once we got it nearly perfectly level the refer work flawlessly. It only took us almost 2 years to get it right despite all the information that's been available here on the forum.

I had the same problem with picture sizing when I first started to post, they need to be compressed before posting. Microsoft has down loadable software to both view and resize images available at no cost. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly where to find it, hopefully someone here can post the info.

What a great trip...

...that's one I'd like to do someday.

You could use a site like this to shrink pics...i think somebody here turned me on to it. Works like a champ.

http://shrinkpictures.com/

Glad your camper worked out fwell for you.

pic

I'll try to attach a re-sized picture of a glacier - thanks for the tips, folks.

Attachments

• phpQPPU29PM.jpg
    phpQPPU29PM.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 374
yep, you got it mntlion.
another try, DLN

Attachments

• phpqZ3JCZPM.jpg
    phpqZ3JCZPM.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 275
Back
Top Bottom