2" hitch cargo carrier

I have a 2" hitch cargo carrier and doesn't have enough room to carry a mountain bike. I notice when I remove the red cap at the end of the hitch bar it measures 1 1/4". Does anyone know if I could use this to put a 1 1/4" bike carrier onto the backside cargo carrier? The cargo carrier allows 500lb. and I don't come close to loading that much weight.

If anyone could give me some direction I'd appreciate it.

I don't want anything roof mounted, but any other suggestions would be welcomed!

I also would like to install a wind fairing on my 2002 Toyota Tundra standard cab with a Ranger Model on it. In order to determine the size of the fairing, where would I measure from?

Thanks for any and all help!
jinlq

utility trailer built by my father in 1948

Attachments

• utility trailer.jpg
    utility trailer.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 607
good question on the fairing, i too am figuring that out right now and will let you know. seems like mounting a bike carrier on the cargo carrier would really create some issues. you would lose rear departure angle and i would think it would be pretty heavy...if i am picturing this right. could you attach a pic of what your talking about? we have tried a numbe rof bike/cargo set ups over the years and have seen a lot too so post a pic and maybe i can help...

I don't know how your cargo carrier is set up, but I can't imagine that it would not hold a mountain bike ? I'm guessing it should be easy / no problem at all.

I had a jet ski on mine and it held fine.

I have also seen versions where people have a motorcycle.

Hope these help.

Attachments

• grandby3.jpg
    grandby3.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 598
  • grandby4.jpg
    grandby4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 644
  • motorcycle.JPG
    motorcycle.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 854
stan, sweet pics! lovin' the one with the dirt bike, lloks like good ole' times!

jinlg,

You may want to check with the CHP for distance restrictions from the vehicle body before you add anything. I've heard it's three feet, but check for sure.

I just purchased one of these (the lower pic) with a bike carrier accessory that bolts on to carry three bikes. I'll post a pic when I get it modified.

Attachments

• Lund Cargo Carrier.jpg
    Lund Cargo Carrier.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 613
looks good, send some pics when you get them, i like the fact that it folds up when unpacked...i may actually be thinking about purchasing one of these...where did you get it? thanks

I have 2" hitches front and rear. With the bikes on the front I don't have to take them off to get into the back. The one on there is a Sportworks, yakima and thule make similar. With the low mount I don't have a visibility problem.

Attachments

• tioga_pass.jpg
    tioga_pass.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 498
Front Receiver mount question

I have a front receiver and thought it would be a good place for the bike rack, however, I was told by the shop that sold me the rack that it was illegal to place the bikes up front (at least in California) because of visibility, and I never looked further into it because I haven't had a need.

Question: how well can you see the road with the bikes up front, and have you ever been approached by law enforcement because of the bikes up front?

never really thought of putting the bike up front but it makes sense i guess...especially if you need your rear hitch for a cargo carrier...however i think they make those for the front as well. as a side note, similar to the post on steps...has anyone seen a step that fits on the wheel? something to help gain some elevation when accessing the roof rack...i feel like i have seen one of the units somewhere????

Visibility wasn't really a problem, occasionaly I forgot they were there and thought I was about to run someone over. I borrowed the rack from my father in law who works for a transit district and used to be a driver, sportworks makes the ones used on buses. He used it across CA and OR for the passed few years and I haven't heard of any issues. I drove through CA, NV, UT, CO, AZ, and NM without issue, a few park rangers really liked the rig. In my experience if you drive nice they don't get you for small stuff.

"...they don't get you for small stuff." knock on wood:D !

Tire step

as a side note, similar to the post on steps...has anyone seen a step that fits on the wheel? something to help gain some elevation when accessing the roof rack...i feel like i have seen one of the units somewhere????

Here are a few links. Found these while searching for "receiver steps" and I book marked the pages. I hope it helps.

http://www.hitchcorner.com/step_hitch_covers.htm
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx?partfamilyid=228&CategoryID=29&SubcategoryID=260&scid=eg4053&s_kwcid=tire%20step|685030397
http://www.prolineracks.com/step200-tire-step.html

erod,

I bought the one in the lower pic from 4 Wheel Parts. It's made by Lund. It doesn't fold. Mine has a 500 lbs capacity. The folder is more expensive and (I think) lower capacity. I'll post some pics when I get it modified.

I've seen the step that goes over the tire. Check Camping World and J C Whitney.

ahhhh, exactly what i was looking for! thanks guys! how do you think these would work to get at the roof rack, or better yet, a rocket box or ski rack on the roof rack???

Grill guard with receiver hitch

Looking for recommendations on grill guards that include a 2" receiver hitch or what others have found and/or use. I'm finding some nice "Ranch Hand" front bumpers, but i'm thinking these would be overkill on weight and such on my '01 1500 (non-HD) 4x4. I could install the hitch and guard individually, but from what i am seeing the push bars would not allow enough clearance to mount my bike rack on the front.
Thx in advance.

Looking for recommendations on grill guards that include a 2" receiver hitch or what others have found and/or use. I'm finding some nice "Ranch Hand" front bumpers, but i'm thinking these would be overkill on weight and such on my '01 1500 (non-HD) 4x4. I could install the hitch and guard individually, but from what i am seeing the push bars would not allow enough clearance to mount my bike rack on the front.
Thx in advance.

I bought a nice grill guard for my Ford F-150 and have the winch mounted in the middle of it (fits perfectly).

I added a front hitch receiver from (www.etrailer.com) -- somewhat easy installation.

But, like you mentioned, the standard hitch mounted bike rack won't stick out far enough (I don't think) for the bikes to clear the grill guard.

But, for a few bucks you can probably have a local welding shop add an extension for you (should be easy)

Good luck on your project

This is a Warn brand

The side hoops around the head lights are optional as is the receiver mount. It originally was chromed (can be had in black powder coat too), but after a few hits against rocks the chrome cracked and the underlying steel started to get surface rust and it looked really bad. I cleaned it up and had it coated with Line-X (much cheaper than re-chroming or powder coating). Note the receiver is one of the farthest most features, so any accessory will fit, though it may stick out a little ways.

I thought about cutting the draw bar on the bike rack to get it nice and close to the front end, but I like how long it is when it's on the back of the truck - I can still open the rear door.

Attachments

• 2007-08-27 18-02-26_0001.jpg
    2007-08-27 18-02-26_0001.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 274
EdoHart's bumper looks much nicer / higher quality for sure.

I like that set up !

I just have the cheezy stock Ford Bumper.

Wanted to spruce it up as cheap as I could.

I'm not doing any serious 4x4 stuff right now, so it didn't make sence for me to drop $1000 - $ 2000 for a nice custom set up.

The winch came with the truck when I bought it, the grill guard I found used on Craigslist for $ 100.00, the front hitch recieved was $ 125.00 (+ or -) from etrailer.com. All installed at home with a few hours of work and a few scraped knuckles (and a little cussing & cursing too). :)

So you can go either way -- if you need to / want to save a few bucks, it can be done in-expensively.

These guys do alot of high end bumpers too out our way ...

http://www.reunel.com

hope this helps

Attachments

• grill guard #1.JPG
    grill guard #1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 245
  • grill guard #2.JPG
    grill guard #2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 238
Back
Top Bottom