2 Months in California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico

I enjoyed the same things about your report, 'birds; I was also struck by the improbability of a young woman, who grew up in Alaska, somehow getting enough playing time to become great at softball.

That must be one very talented daughter. :)

Enough time, huh?

I think us southerners tend to forget that the Sun rarely sets in summer in alaska. I get this mental picture of kids having PLENTY of time to play T-ball...

at what? 3AM?? :D

Enough time, huh?

I think us southerners tend to forget that the Sun rarely sets in summer in alaska. I get this mental picture of kids having PLENTY of time to play T-ball...

at what? 3AM?? :D

mtn-high

That's true, once the snow and frost are off the fields they do play long but noise limits how late they can play in a lot of spots and Mark is right...they don't get to play fall-ball like a lot of teams down south.

They make up for it by year around drills and training in the gyms and by taking advantage of school breaks to play in spots like Las Vegas. One year they went to Florida for the ASA "A" championship tournament. The kids get more airline miles between 9 and 17 years old than I've had in my life. (I get all my miles from my Alaska Air Visa...paying for her miles :eek: )

Happy Trails!
'birds

'birds,

Did you use any extra padding on your Grandby bed? After all, 70 days/nights sleeping in it you sure needed a comfy bed.

Duane you nailed it they all have to come south to realize their potential. OOPs I guess my born and bred in CA is showing.

Here's a Thought

My wife thinks I have too much time on my hands.

Attachments

• user3609_pic349_1242635923 copy.jpg
    user3609_pic349_1242635923 copy.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 266
California?/4" Foam/COOL!

Duane you nailed it they all have to come south to realize their potential. OOPs I guess my born and bred in CA is showing.

California teams did pretty well in the NCAA D-1 College World Series up 'till around '04. Then the U of Michigan launched a few softballs into outer space in '05 and from then on the AZ teams have owned it. U of Washington seems to be peckin' around the fringes of it again...so...maybe not quite so far south as it used to be :D

I tried to talk the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, into starting a team but after they quit laughing they said they didn't think it was going to happen. Some silliness about it being a tad chilly out on the fields that time of year and they wouldn't even consider a dome. Can't blame a guy for tryin'!

...Did you use any extra padding on your Grandby bed? After all, 70 days/nights sleeping in it you sure needed a comfy bed.

Buzzman...nope, just the stock 4" foam mattress it came with. Funny, we don't sleep very well at home in our super whiz-bang bed but really pounded our ear in "the treehouse", as someone on WTW called it once. The only times we had trouble sleeping were in areas with a lot of noise and when it rained (or acorns started falling on the roof :p)

My wife thinks I have too much time on my hands.

She might be right Jay, but it's still REALLY COOL!:thumb: I like it.

Took me two days of poking in to read through all this but a great thread for a great trip! :thumb: I want to retire too... :eek:

Took me two days of poking in to read through all this but a great thread for a great trip! :thumb: I want to retire too... :eek:

Pods8,

Glad you enjoyed reading about us geezers :)

My older brother says there needs to be a system where you're retired when you're young and can take the best advantage of it and then you work 'till you're dead.

Looks like your knee's doing pretty good from the rock climbing post. Enjoyed that post a lot.

Happy Trails!
'birds

Pods8,

Glad you enjoyed reading about us geezers :)

My older brother says there needs to be a system where you're retired when you're young and can take the best advantage of it and then you work 'till you're dead.

Looks like your knee's doing pretty good from the rock climbing post. Enjoyed that post a lot.

Happy Trails!
'birds

Lol, yeah but they who'd ever want start working. :p Knee feels pretty good, just need to remember its not actually fully healed even though I don't feel it so it will actually fully heal up without me doing something stupid to it.

Well it's official. I'm ready to retire. Great report guys, thanks!

So did you find your warm spot down south?

Warm Spot

Dog,

Thanks for the kind words.

Retirement has been good for us but it seems like you do pretty well as it is! That Zion trip was a thing of beauty.

Next winter I think we'll probably try to rent a place along the Colorado R. corridor, somewhere from just N. of Yuma to just S. of Bullhead City, and wander from there. It seems to be the "warm spot". That's really what we planned this year but we were having so much fun in the camper we never got it done.

Subject to complete change on a whim if we feel like it:thumb:

Happy Trails!
'birds

One more for chinlisle.

Couldn't resist another panorama....this one's for Jay: (Sorry 'bout the misspell in the title...couldn't get it to edit.)

Attachments

• Picacho SRA.jpg
    Picacho SRA.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 198
Campground vs. RV Park

Jay,

We agree. It has more the feel of a CAMPground, like we used to have in Washington in the '50-early '60 era. The drive in probably helps keep it from being crowded and cuts down on the RV traffic and the river and mining history are pleasant extras.

Happy Trails!
'birds

Back
Top Bottom