2 Months in California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico

We made Death Valley the next day before noon. After checking in at the visitor’s center we looked over the Sunset and Texas Springs campgrounds but all the good sites were tent only sites (Thought about pitching the backpack tent so we could stay but decided to find someplace less populated.).

We did some exploring on a dirt/sand road that ran past the airport at Stovepipe wells and out toward the Cottonwood Mountains but eventually headed for the charcoal kilns, which I’d wanted to see since lqhikers post of them.

We weren’t disappointed…they are very cool…and they’re going to be tough to burn down.

There are 10 kilns built by Chinese laborers in the late 1800’s.

picture.php

picture.php

It’s dark in there!

picture.php

The window (vent?) did let in some light though.

picture.php

There was snow just across from the kilns and Susan was fascinated to think that it really snowed in Death Valley…said something about a snowball’s chance in hell or something…

picture.php

The Pinion Pines in the area were used to make the charcoal but you couldn’t tell there’d been any logging from how it looks now.

picture.php

We stopped at Wildrose Campground on the way up, liked it, and decided to stay there that night even though it was chilly. Wildrose has 8 sites, pit toilet and some of the best water since we left Washington.

picture.php

At Wildrose we met Brian and Joann from Oakland, CA, and their two month old baby…a very nice tricked-out FWC Ranger on their Taco 2 cab.

We had a nice, short, visit. We missed them on the way out but hope to meet again sometime. Thanks for the offer to supplement my libation supply Brian!

We stopped to look at some concrete slabs just outside the monument boundary on CA 190 that one of the DV rangers told us about. We thought the area might be an old RV park and was probably better than some of the “urban” parks in the Monument, but not real appealing. Since it’s outside the monument, the rangers don’t (can’t?) enforce the no fires policy there.

picture.php

picture.php

Seemed like there were some better spots for a rig that could run a dirt road to camp in the area but we didn’t investigate much.

We ran down CA 190 to CA 127 and through Baker into the Mojave National Preserve. It was getting late so we found a dirt road off of 127 and followed it to a spot that turned out to be another of our favorites of the trip.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The mine shack was at the base of the hill where the prospect holes had been dug.

picture.php

The tailings pile from one of the holes is just to the left of the top of this hill.

picture.php

This prospect hole still had bracing in place that looked solid.

picture.php

picture.php

This picture of the tailings pile from below also shows a lot of the cactus (cacti...I have a real problem with saying "cacti") and other "fauni" representative of this area.

picture.php

The Joshua Tree is the most impressive from a size standpoint, but we enjoyed the little Fish Hook (?) Barrels a lot too.

picture.php

picture.php

We had dinner under the Joshua Tree, watched the sunset, and crawled in our nest to listen to the coyotes. Life is good.

picture.php

After coffee in the morning, I decided I needed a real shower. I hadn’t had one since Pahrump, but I didn’t want to take the time to set up the outhouse. It didn’t look like there was anyone around, so, I set up the “shower lite” (Check the “natural leveling block” under the left rear and the soap dish holder.)

picture.php

picture.php

and had a nice hot shower. There may be a Jackrabbit or two out in the Mojave living in fear that “the great white whale” had surfaced in the Mojave Desert.

Susan turned out to be more chicken than snowbird and opted for a spit bath in the privacy of the camper.

We intended to stay the next two nights at Joshua Tree Monument but when we got to the visitors' center all the campgrounds were full.

We had an unpleasant drive to downtown Anaheim and spent one bad night in an RV park that had seen better days (but not recently). Then we got lucky and found Canyon RV Park just off Santa Ana Canyon Road. We had to grovel a bit to get to pay the $45/night and stay since they cater mostly to big rigs.

There’s a wildlife preserve right next to the park (directly across from our campsite) and, after we put in our earplugs we enjoyed watching the birds (a couple pair of wood duck, lots of blue birds, egrets, one variety of woodpecker that looks startled all the time (like somebody just goosed him), even a huge swarm of bees on a bridge girder about 60’ in the air. Coyotes tuned up with the sirens about a dozen time a night…there were even warning signs about cougar in the area. The wildlife and getting to see Kid made it worthwhile to stay there.

When the tournament ended we broke camp, loaded up a case of $29/half gallon ($65 in Juneau) Crown Royal at Costco, and ran for the hills like scalded cats. That night we spent at Basalt Creek Campground, right across CA 152 from the San Luis Res.

Basalt Creek (no photos ‘cause we were dumb and didn’t take any, again) doesn’t have hookups but the restrooms were super sanitary (maybe brand new) with decorator tile to the ceiling and great pay showers ($1 was plenty for a long shower). The campground is a good one…big trees, good spots for hiking (short or long) in rolling grassy hills and reservoirs for fishing. We saw a small heard of deer near the campground entrance. Susan spotted a “yellow billed” magpie that she’d wanted to see for years.

Basalt Creek will be our campground of choice in the area in the future. Watch out for the little acorns on the trees though…I thought we were under attack in the middle of the night when they started bouncing off the roof in a light breeze.

From Basalt we ran back to Pass Creek in Oregon, where we had stayed on the way down. It was still windy and wet but convenient.

After we got camp set we met a very nice man from Tacoma with a FWC Ranger Fleet (shell?) on a white Taco. He was a road biker and carried his bicycle inside the camper. He had the same propane alarm we did and was having the same low-battery warning problem. He had installed his own propane tank and was curious about how ours was mounted. He’d spent a couple weeks in N. Cal and wasn’t impressed with the warmth of the climate that time of year but said he did get a chance to do some bicycling a few times. Next year he’s headed someplace warmer where he can get more biking in.

He invited us to spend the night parked at his home but we’d made plans to drive over Snoqualmie Pass to Gram’s farm in Ellensburg that night, so, reluctantly turned down his kind offer. We stopped to see Darling Daughter on the way and had lunch in the camper then toured Pt. Defiance Park…nice spot…before heading over the pass.

We left Ellensburg a few days early in case we hit bad weather on the way up to Prince Rupert, B.C., but it was a smooth run all the way. The provincial parks were all closed and we didn’t feel like staying in the RV parks we saw.

The first night we stayed at our favorite motel, the Caribou Lodge in Clinton B.C. (if you stop there, go into the restaurant and read about “The Great Cataline” and check the old photos of the area and homesteaders) and the second night at a little motel near Topley.

We hit PR the next day and were pleased to see that the RV park near the ferry terminal was open. It had been listed as closed until April. They even offered to turn on the hot water to the showers if we stayed the full three nights until the ferry got there, so we took them up on it. With all the extra time we had a good chance to explore PR. The library has a good Wi-Fi system.

Since December 3rd, when it was mounted on the Dodge in Woodland, we were in the camper for around 70 nights. We had put around 10,000 miles on the truck/camper since we left Ellensburg on January 28.

There was about 2’ of snow on the lawn when we got home, April 1.

Happy Trails!
Alaskan Snowbirds

Thanks and it won't happen again.

Excellent pix and story and not so much as a phone call. Hmph

Jay,

Thanks for the good words. We'll make contact next time.

Cheers!
'birds

Great pictures

That was a great story and pics!

It makes me want to retire so bad it hurts...

Absolutely outstanding!!! Some of our very favorite spots many of which are just an hour or so from the house others no more than a few hours. Thanks.

Tucson

oldnslow & chnlisle,

Thanks for all the kind words and for sharing your beautiful part of the country with us.

Like you said Jay, within an hour or two of where you live is some of the most interesting desert country I've ever seen, and a lot of it comes complete with water to play on:) Now, that's tough to beat.

oldnslow, I know the feeling when waiting to be able to retire. Hope you can do it soon, we have enjoyed it a lot and life is short. It must be great to work in an area where you have so many great spots to go when you do have a little time though, we enjoyed so many of them in the short time we were there and hope to see more in the future.

Happy Trails!
'birds

Photo Requirements

TT,

You're very welcome...it was a pleasure!

I'm not sure we really fulfilled the photo requirements as well as would normally be expected though...Granted, a lot of pictures, but some of the spots we didn't get pictures of deserved coverage. Basalt was a great spot close to the I-5 corridor but far enough away to be pleasant. It might have been a help to the WTW crew to get a look.

Now that we've got the laptop I'll make sure we've got a good picture editor on it and we'll do the write-ups then and there when we can and post them as we go (at least that's the plan while I'm sitting here at home). Hopefully that will help us old brain damaged folks to follow the requirements a little more closely:thumb:

Happy Trails!
'birds

Geez 'birds...now that's what i call a trip report! What a saga....GREAT report and pics. Thanks for taking the time.

Just doin' pay back.

Suni,

Thanks for the good words.

You and a lot of the other WTW folks have done a lot more and better posts that have provided a lot of joy and information/education over the last few years. We thought it would be nice to do some payback, and it's fun too (this one was kind of a marathon though:eek:).

Now that we have a laptop with us and know a lot of the Wi-Fi hotspots we'll do posts as we go.

Really enjoyed your cabin warming post....way cool pics!

Happy Trails!
'birds

'birds,

I just finished reading your trip report and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the great pics and info about the camp grounds. You guys sure do know how to break in a new FWC and you really know how to enjoy retirement. Good on ya.

Do you plan to use your FWC up there in the frozen north land this summer? I guess they'd probably charge extra for the ferry boat ride with the camper loaded on, huh?

Buzz

Glad you enjoyed it.

Marc and Buzz,

Glad you enjoyed the post. It was a good trip and the camper was just right for us.

Buzz, the ferry charges by length. We pay the same for the ferry with the camper on or off. I think we can even fit a boat on top without going over the height restrictions. We don't have any plans yet for trips in Alaska. If we do go out it will probably be to B.C. and the Yukon. Might try a trip to try for moose or 'bou meat this fall but again, nothing really planned yet. Lots of work to do to make up for playing all winter:)

I just saw the third or fourth FWC I've ever seen in Juneau today. It was an Eagle on a nice looking dark green Ford Ranger stopped at SuperBear Supermarket. I got to talk to it's "mom and dad" and they're from California. They take the ferry tomorrow for Haines then up the highway to the interior. Said they got chilly here in Juneau last night...I don't think it got much below 40 though, but maybe they were out by the Mendenhall Glacier.

Happy Trails!
'birds

I enjoyed the same things about your report, 'birds; I was also struck by the improbability of a young woman, who grew up in Alaska, somehow getting enough playing time to become great at softball.

That must be one very talented daughter. :)

Darling Daughter

Mark,

It's surprising but there are a lot of talented athletes in all sports in Alaska. We have a couple kids from Juneau on major league baseball teams and one of Darling Daughter's friends set the Pac-10 women's 3 point scoring record at OSU this last season. Carlos Boozer helped coach Kid at post when he was in HS here. Must be the water :)

All that said, she's givin' 'er up next year...not much playing time and a lot of training/practice time that cut into academics. Mixed feelings all 'round but general consensus is she made a good decision.

If you ever head to Alaska in the summer let me know and I'll get a schedule and locations to you so you can take in a game or two while you're here if you'd like.

Happy Trails
'birds

Back
Top Bottom