$20 air dam - "Chet's Airfoil"

Rockjok

Advanced Member
I spotted this thread and decided to give it a try.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17575645/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

It cost a bit over $20 but the parts etc were easy to obtain. I used gutter guard and two types of vinyl drip edge. It took a total of about 6 hours to make but that's mostly due to working in near freezing temps in my carport. The adhesive was really slow to set and my fingertips were definitely less than accurate. I modified it a bit narrowing the front section and lengthening the sides. Given a 70 degree day I could probably duplicate it in a couple of hours.

My original intention was to use only existing screws (4) but ended up adding 2 more on the front section. If you can find clear pvc "primer" that would be the best surface prep, I wish I hadn't applied any of the purple stuff.

It is surprisingly strong and seems to work. I've run 85 mph into a pretty good headwind without any problems. My only testing tho' was sticking my hand out the window and feeling the air blast in different places. It sheds a lot of air along the sides and there is only a small amount of turbulent air "inside". I guess the final test will be when the snow melts and the bugs come out and it'll be interesting to experiment with plugging some of the hole sections.

Now if I could only find a Thule or Yakima deflector that would direct air into the airfoil from just over the windshield I'd be set.

The pics are before the final mounting with the weatherstrip foam.

Rob

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0269.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0269.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,497
  • Copy of IMG_0270.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0270.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,723
  • Copy of IMG_0272.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0272.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,406
  • Copy of IMG_0273.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0273.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,554
I'm hoping to go to southern Utah for a couple of weeks and plan on logging the performance. I figure at least a thousand miles is needed for a decent MPG estimate. I know that I can feel the difference with it on, no longer feels like I'm pulling a parachute. In the future I think I'll experiment with blocking the holes with some white duct tape to see what happens. Then it'll be a true Red Green mod.

Rob

Hi Rob, Looks like a nice job. I have the same truck and camper as yours but your camper looks like it has more clearance between the roof of the truck and the camper overhang. I have the camper off the truck right now so I can't give you measurements, but I am guessing I don't have as much room available to use as what you have. Did you add something to make your camper sit up higher?

Thanks
Tim
Reno, NV

Hi Tim,

The floor of the camper is way thicker than I thought it would be. My skill saw wouldn't come close to cutting all the way through when I modified the wheel well cutout. Now the camper fits all the way forward but there is still a 6-8 inch gap between the roof and camper. I thought it looked kinda goofy without the airfoil.

I added air bags and with an engel 45, generator, 10 gal of extra gas, 5 of water, a weeks worth of food and camping gear, and two fat dogs I'm about 150 lbs over gross weight. Definitely not regretting the Falcon purchase.

I discovered that there's a 4x4 "rally" in Moab, UT next week and I hope to find a place to get some good pics of the jeeps climbing the gnarlies. It's nice to know I'll be able to travel some of the back roads unlike some of the "bigger" truck campers with double slide outs etc..

Here's a couple of pics from a couple weeks ago when I went to the Madison River to test out a catalytic heater.

Rob

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0263.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0263.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 799
  • Copy of IMG_0265.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0265.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 771
My Yak Rak Airfoil

I couldn't find the other posts on air dams or foils (I searched, but "air" is too short a term!), so I figured I post it here.

I took an old Yakima rack and replaced the small plexy shield with some I bought from Ace and cut. I reinforced it with some steel strips (vertical, right under the "all terrain" sticker).

I did not notice any significant mpg gains, but it sure is quieter on the road! Another plus is when passing trucks going the other way, there is much, much less of that vacuum whooshing that shakes the whole rig.

Attachments

• DSC02717e.jpg
    DSC02717e.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 757
Thanks flinch. I posted it in the air dam thread where it belongs. I forget about Googles site search, but it is so handy!

Back
Top Bottom